Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum > Edible & Non-Edible Plants
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 06-13-2011, 01:33 PM

Default Swamp Edibles

Advertise Here

I own a fairly large swamp and am wondering what I could grow to eat in it. It does dry up fairly well in the fall so fish couldn't survive year round. There are a lot of wild crab apples around the swamp and am wondering about trying to graft larger apples to these trees. Looking for more ideas...
The Following User Says Thank You to jweaver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Pull up your Dora panties

Thanked 16,136 Times in 4,430 Posts

Great question, look forward to answers. I live on 10 acres of marsh land myself, and i wonder what might grow and thrive without any or much help
Old 06-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Blue in a Red state

Thanked 21,170 Times in 7,356 Posts

Ok guys I am no gardner, I don't know what might work for your areas, especially a swamp, but I do love to forge. In OK there are 4 things you can easily find to eat around almost any body of water - not including fish. Frogs, turtle, persimmon trees and water lily roots. Turtles are hard to clean and not much meat on a frog leg unless you get a really big guy but both make great soup. If you don't jack up the shell too badly cleaning the turtle, a bowl or ladel is an extra bonus. Persimmons are good to eat outright or make great jam especially when mixed with rubarb. The roots are an Osage thing called Yonkapin here. The best I can descibe the flavor is earthy with a slightly nutty taste. Almost everyone I know likes them. They can be easily sliced threaded on a string to dry. When you cook them they turn the water dark, it's normal.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,137 Times in 2,139 Posts

Cattails or bullrushes, depending on what you call them; all parts are edible...and yes, I have eaten them. My favourite part is the small, white knobby root-thing. Boil 'em up like new potatoes...salt, pepper and butter them...yummy.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:25 PM

I got frogs, turtles,and gator to boot, plus water maccosins too. Too much tree cover for the cat tails to grow very well, but they do well just down the street in an open area.i'll try palnting some persimmons this season to see how they do once the water levels start to rise again. I'm sure i could dig up some palms too, i hear the root balss are edible, but its a ton of work to get one out of the ground
Old 06-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Blue in a Red state

Thanked 21,170 Times in 7,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINCENT View Post
I got frogs, turtles,and gator to boot, plus water maccosins too. Too much tree cover for the cat tails to grow very well, but they do well just down the street in an open area.i'll try palnting some persimmons this season to see how they do once the water levels start to rise again. I'm sure i could dig up some palms too, i hear the root balss are edible, but its a ton of work to get one out of the ground
How about those wild anacondas down in FL? (or is this just a rumor?) are they any good eattin? LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
How about those wild anacondas down in FL? (or is this just a rumor?) are they any good eattin? LOL
there Burmese Pythons, and all snakes are suppose to be pretty good.
The Following User Says Thank You to dac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
i have yet to see an andaconda, although they are all over the everglades. i have see a 15 foot albino burmese python. he was ****y so i didnt bother him to much. and they get kind of tough when they get that big, but in a pinch they would do fine, and their skins are great
The Following User Says Thank You to VINCENT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,614 Times in 6,093 Posts

Quote:
I think many of the Pythons died in the freeze last year (or was it 2 years ago). They weren't acclimated for the cold. I haven't heard much about them destroying the eco-system much there anymore. Hogs are pretty bad though; eat them.

As far as plants go... swamp cabbage. Palm hearts. Funny thing is that they are a delicacy now LOL Saw palmetto and cattails are other sources of common swamp plant foods.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,050 Posts

Blackberry, Cattail, Rice & Crawfish... A complete diet
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swampwood For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,763 Times in 4,217 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

I stress again and again... where do you live? I can name easily an edible dozen plants et ali IF I knew where you lived...

Last edited by Straight Razor; 06-15-2011 at 09:23 PM..
Old 06-14-2011, 10:08 AM

I dont know about the op, but you can list some for central florida and i'd be greatful
Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Recent Blog:
[CaRP] Failed to open file: not yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Razor View Post
I stress again and again... where do you live? I can name easily a edible dozen plants et ali IF I knew where you lived...
Southeast Michigan!
Old 06-30-2011, 04:13 PM
I love this forum

A few things:

1. I hope your water is pure. Most things that love to grow in swamps suck up a lot of water, and with them, contaminants.

2. Watercress!

3. Mint.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:49 PM
DS Prez for life...

Thanked 35,117 Times in 11,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
I think many of the Pythons died in the freeze last year (or was it 2 years ago). They weren't acclimated for the cold. I haven't heard much about them destroying the eco-system much there anymore. Hogs are pretty bad though; eat them.

As far as plants go... swamp cabbage. Palm hearts. Funny thing is that they are a delicacy now LOL Saw palmetto and cattails are other sources of common swamp plant foods.
I was wondering if someone was going to mention saw palmetto!!!! Plant them EVERYWHERE!!!! They are delicious!!!! WATCH WALKING AROUND THEM-SHARP!!!! I belong to a bonsai club and we can't go where we used to on this one guys property in the swamp because he let some mexicans in and they nearly decimated the palms!!

Also I think the snakes went into their burrow for warmth, but I'd be interested in their fate..