Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-14-2011, 09:30 AM

Default Uh... Im allergic to Iodine. As in Potassium Iodine.

Advertise Here

Ok so. Turns out Im allergic to one of the things that will keep radiation from attacking the thyroid.
But isn't most radiation from a nuclear explosion or power plant radioactive iodine? (correct me if im wrong)
Is there anything else I could take to prevent thyroid damage from a nuclear attack, OTHER than iodine?
Does this mean that if I get radiation sickness I will also have a huge allergy attack?
Is there any way to prevent both the allergy from the radiation and the inability to combat the radiation sickness?

...I feel like a canary. If I swell up like a balloon or go into anaphylactic shock you'll know theres radiation around.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Alert Today~Alive Tmorrow

Thanked 4,299 Times in 1,585 Posts
Default you mean iodide?

You should only take potassium iodide (KI) in case of emergency.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:43 AM

Um yeah thats the point. A hypothetical nuclear explosion is a pretty big hypothetical emergency.
The thing is that I cant TAKE KI. It says right on the bottle, "Dont take if allergic to iodine."
Are there alternatives?

Oh and also, If you have been exposed to radiation, you can take a swig of regular iodine to limit the thyroid effects somewhat. Doesnt have to be KI but it is better.
Just drinking some iodine can make you throw up and essentially mimic the first stages of radiation sickness.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Molon Labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misstori View Post
Um yeah thats the point. A hypothetical nuclear explosion is a pretty big hypothetical emergency.
The thing is that I cant TAKE KI. It says right on the bottle, "Dont take if allergic to iodine."
Are there alternatives?

Oh and also, If you have been exposed to radiation, you can take a swig of regular iodine to limit the thyroid effects somewhat. Doesnt have to be KI but it is better.
Just drinking some iodine can make you throw up and essentially mimic the first stages of radiation sickness.

Kelp may be a good sub.

IMO radioactive iodines would be my least concern. If you're in such environment that you feel pressed to use KI (outdoors at the time of a nuclear detonation or in a unprotected and unclean room/building), my main concern would be immediate fallout, damage done by the weapon such as structure failure, chemical contamination from fuel systems, air cooling systems, hydraulic systems, ect... mass hysteria, no EMS, ect... but that's me.

Best bet may be to have an NBC mask/suit with proper training in their uses with spare filters.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Krazy Kitty

Thanked 5,895 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy_McNasty View Post
You should only take potassium iodide (KI) in case of emergency.
And you shouldn't be telling this person to take anything unless you're a doctor. I am leery of taking potassium iodide because graves disease runs in my family. I bought kelp but will ask my doctor first before taking it.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,007 Posts

I am also highly allergic to Iodine. Its a killer for me.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,242 Posts

I have some severe allergies too that have resulted in allergic shock and hospitalization. One of my allergy triggers is seafood, so likely I would be reactive to iodine.

I also was concerned and was checking into KI and found that the older you are, the less important it becomes to protect the thyroid. Also the older you are, the more likely an allergic reaction is possible.

I don’t have a suggestion for an alternative. Just wanted to share this information because I rarely see allergic reaction to KI discussed as a risk.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Senior Reactor Operator

Thanked 1,810 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Ok so. Turns out Im allergic to one of the things that will keep radiation from attacking the thyroid.
But isn't most radiation from a nuclear explosion or power plant radioactive iodine? (correct me if im wrong)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine-131

3% means it's alot, but there are 97% of other things out there to worry about... the 8 day half-life and the susceptibility of the thyroid to radio-iodine is why nuclear plants and CBR military units stock iodine tablets.

Sooo, note first, that this is wikipedia, and a "citation needed" exists after this statement. That means it may be true, but what you should do is continue to research for yourself and TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR!

If you live near a power plant, and this worries you, explain your concerns to your physician and let them help you work out an acceptable solution. I'd personally worry first about direct gamma radiation and heat from the blast, then worry about 97% of all the other bad stuff in the form of fallout, then worry about this 3%. Not saying it's negligible or not important, and there are 4 other isotopes of radio-iodine to worry about as well, just not as abundant as I-131 (these are I-132, 133, 134, 135).

Keep it in perspective and do not put anything medical in your body without doctor concurrence. Don't take online forum advice for anything of this nature, without clearing it through your trusted medical professional first, if not repeatedly.

Last edited by OLDWarrior64; 05-15-2011 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: Forum copyright rules//URL and your comments only.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Hiker

same here had mri and would have croaked but was at hospital
Old 05-14-2011, 06:12 PM

Thank all of you for your suggestions!

At Weps,
I think the suit and mask would be the best option available. It might also protect me from the other radioactive particles. But I dont know about the kelp... I did some research and it looks like the reason kelp works is because its got a lot of... Iodine in it...
But I have read that its a weaker consentration... I might be able to handle it but Ive always found that with alergies its always better to just avoid the allergen. And if I was that situation I would want to risk any reaction... But I do like your suggestions.

At Xelera,
If I have the ability to protect myself from that 3% (and not have an allergic reaction) You bet im going to take it! With my luck I would get thyroid cancer or something... And if I have the ability to protect myself from the other 97% I'd take that as well! Ive prepared as much as possible for that 97% but I cant at all for the 3% and that BOTHERS me. ><
Also, thanks for correcting me about the amount of radioactive iodine. I learned something.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,007 Posts

I had a stint put in my heart in Jan. this winter. They gave me an antidote for my allergic reaction from the iodine for a couple days. The first time that I had any iodine was in 1984, and it took me a couple months to get over it. The doctors told me at that time, that the next time, it will likely kill me.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,453 Times in 1,670 Posts

potassium iodide only works for the thyroid. lots of people will not be able to take it.
what about all the other body parts exposed to radiation?
protecting yourself from radiation in myriad other ways before you even get to the iodine question makes more sense. I realize it would be nice to be able to utilize iodine, but
making sure you have a safe place to go to before you are exposed would be even better. trying to keep things in proportion. best wishes.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:55 PM
great survivalist *****

500 billion to 1 chance of you dying from nuclear radiation.
18 million to 1 chance of winning the lottery,

According to your logic, you should be much more concerned about winning the lottery then nuclear radiation.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Is there anything else I could take to prevent thyroid damage from a nuclear attack, OTHER than iodine?
Does this mean that if I get radiation sickness I will also have a huge allergy attack?
Is there any way to prevent both the allergy from the radiation and the inability to combat the radiation sickness?

...I feel like a canary. If I swell up like a balloon or go into anaphylactic shock you'll know theres radiation around.
Ki would make no difference in a nuclear explosion. The strontium,cesium,cobalt and other isotopes would kill you and no pill will protect you. If the intense gamma radiation has not killed you first.

Ki is not a magic pill that shields you from radiation.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:31 PM

elsapo, I know its not a "magic pill."
KI DOES protect your thyroid from radiation, though. The rest of your body is still unprotected.

Besides, this site is partially for survival preparation. And if I didn't know the alternatives to protect my thyroid, I wouldn't be prepared.
Cause if something happened, I might not be able to access the internet.
I'm all about getting as much information as possible BEFORE something happens.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:30 PM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Thanked 32,939 Times in 12,712 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:

The whole purpose for taking Potassium Iodide is to keep the thyroid from filling up with the dirty iodine associated with nuclear fallout. I have Potassium Iodide as my first choice and Potassium Iodate as a second choice. If you are allergic to both then I would suggest a high quality gas mask with the proper filters as an alternative option.

My wife and I have North CBRN Masks complete with the proper filters:

I purposely bought the a single filtered mask so that I could shoot my weapon should that be necessary. The filter can be switched from one side to the other.

CBRN, NIOSH approved canisters will generally work well in Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear (CBRN) environments.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:26 PM

Potassium iodide and potassium iodate both have the warnings regarding allergies so...
gas masks seem to be the only option. Thanks for sharing your reasons behind getting one with a single filter. I probably would have gone with one with two until I realized that!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Prepare.

I would actually suggest using Potassium Iodate (KIO3 instead of Potassium Iodide(KI), because the KIO3 has a much better shelf life, especially in humid or hot areas.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 8,511 Times in 3,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelera View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine-131

Which says:

3% means it's alot, but there are 97% of other things out there to worry about... the 8 day half-life and the susceptibility of the thyroid to radio-iodine is why nuclear plants and CBR military units stock iodine tablets.

Further down in the article:

Sooo, note first, that this is wikipedia, and a "citation needed" exists after this statement. That means it may be true, but what you should do is continue to research for yourself and TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR!

If you live near a power plant, and this worries you, explain your concerns to your physician and let them help you work out an acceptable solution. I'd personally worry first about direct gamma radiation and heat from the blast, then worry about 97% of all the other bad stuff in the form of fallout, then worry about this 3%. Not saying it's negligible or not important, and there are 4 other isotopes of radio-iodine to worry about as well, just not as abundant as I-131 (these are I-132, 133, 134, 135).

Keep it in perspective and do not put anything medical in your body without doctor concurrence. Don't take online forum advice for anything of this nature, without clearing it through your trusted medical professional first, if not repeatedly.
Why are you allowed to copy/paste when threads are being pulled because of it?

~ EDITED ~~ October 21, 2010

Do NOT copy anything from any other website unless you own the material.

If you want to discuss an article on another site, do not copy the article - just post a link to the article.

If you want to cite an article on another site, do not copy and paste the article - just post a link.

Period.