Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Procrastinate Now

Thanked 3,184 Times in 795 Posts
Default mosquito repellent from the movie "The Way Back"

Advertise Here

In the movie "The Way Back" the survivors obtain homemade mosquito repellent to keep away the thousands of mosquitoes. Here is a screen capture of the movie scene showing the mosquito repellent.

It appears to be some type of rawhide wrapped up and attached to a string.

This is a bushcraft mosquito repellent made with only items found in the forest, so it is not rawhide dipped in OFF Mosquito spray.

What could be used to make this work using only bushcraft items?

Attached Thumbnails
picture001.jpg  
Old 04-23-2011, 04:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,449 Times in 1,669 Posts

some people use eucalyptus leaves/oil, some say pumpkin leaves repel bugs, some say various types of mint will... i dunno. ??? its a movie = pretend/not real/imaginary
The Following User Says Thank You to methemom For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by methemom View Post
some people use eucalyptus leaves/oil, some say pumpkin leaves repel bugs, some say various types of mint will... i dunno. ??? its a movie = pretend/not real/imaginary
The movie was based on a true story, so the mosquito repellant that the men used should have some factual basis to it. I have no idea what they used. Was wondering that myself.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Old Hounds Smell Good

Thanked 2,215 Times in 717 Posts

I don't know what they used but if they soaked the strips in it, it was probably the actual oil from several plants rather than something that occurs naturally in the final form. Otherwise there would be greenery around their necks.

I grow plenty of stuff that repels mosquitoes. If you don't want to go to the bother of creating the essential oils from stuff (I don't because it's a huge pain) you can just plant these (and use them in cooking too) and then run your hands through them and then rub your hands over the areas you want to block.

Mother Earth News can get pretty political, but some of their homesteading stuff is just too useful to ignore. This article outlines the same plants I use.

How effective is it? Well, I live with part of my property on the tidally influenced wetlands, which means water perfect for mosquito breeding. I got lots of skeeters. Not even DEET slathered on like frosting will completely work. But this works almost just as well as spraying on some regular deet off when it is full daylight. In shade or near dusk, nothing works.

If you want more potency, you can buy the essential oils and create your own spray too. That works a little bit better.

Of course, you might smell a bit like a salad....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChristyACB For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 08:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,645 Times in 2,980 Posts

Probably Citrolenna. A plant that grows in America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citronella_oil
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pangea For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 09:13 AM
www.chemflame.com

No matter if it was based on a true story or not, it's still a movie. They change the true story around to make it more entertaining. That's why is says "based" on a true story.

Pangea already mentioned Citronella. There is also African Marigold and Basil. Citronella is the popular one though.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:15 PM

Movie is based on a book entitled "The Long Walk"; mosquitoes are not mentioned in the book. Excellent read for teens and up.. what people will do for freedom.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,632 Posts

Lavender is probably one of the best insect repellents, and it does grow wild in many places
Old 04-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Gun Luvin Hippie

Thanks Pangea for the wikipedia link to citronella oil. At the bottom of wikipedias'a article they explain some very interesting cancer fighting properties of lemon grass. Now I can repel mosquitoes and cancer at the same time Woohooo!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemp For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2011, 04:19 PM

Default Tea tree oil

Tea tree oil is a product which you can purchase at almost any health or natural food stores. Most grocery stores have a section dedicated to natural foods and goods.
I have found that it not only repels annoying insects but also relieves the itch due to their bites! I love this stuff. And I think it smells really good.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:43 PM

Default Rosemary as mosquito repellent, tea tree oil as burn treatment

Oh, that's cool, Erose. I didn't know tea tree oil makes a good mosquito repellent. I always keep a small bottle in my kitchen cabinet to treat burns. It's incredibly effective. The pain stops immediately, and it prevents blistering. Way better than ice and an over-the-counter numbing product. In fact, I recently treated my husband's hot oil burn when he thought he was going to have to go to the ER. After it immediately stopped the pain, he agreed to wait and see, and there was no blistering the next day. He was sure it was going to be a second degree burn. (I don't want to encourage anyone not to seek medical help, but we had no insurance and would have had to sacrifice food or his heart medicine to pay for an ER visit.)

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: I'm watching that movie right now and stopped to look for the answer to this question. I registered to say that rosemary is supposed to be an effective repellent. You steep it, like tea. I made some for myself and put it in a spray bottle and took it to a party. It worked moderately well, but I had to reapply pretty often. I think I made it pretty weak. It worked well enough to try again, and next time, I'll make it stronger. Talk about a nice smelling mosquito repellent!

TL;DNR: it's all in the title

Last edited by aleatharhea; 03-18-2012 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: shorten
Old 03-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Prepaholic

I just watched this movie recently and wondered the same thing.

Personally, I use mugwort and sage.

Take a handful of fresh leaves and ball them up in your hand and rub them between your hands really hard until the juice starts to come out. Rub that juice all over your exposed areas to keep bugs away. It works for a couple hours, then repeat.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Green Eggs and Spam

Thanked 2,226 Times in 964 Posts

I think I have posted this before.

While on the Rubicon Trail, running the engine on the Jeep vs not running had a DRAMATIC affect on the skeeters trying to attack.

Engine ON at idle, skeeters went one way; Engine OFF and all of a sudden skeeters went other way.

The bugs seem to have an idea of what they want to suck blood from.

YMMV>.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sprig For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2012, 02:37 AM

The only natural mosquito repellant known to me in my area of Texas is alligator oil. May not have much luck with the ladies covered in it, but it worked for the indians.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:52 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprig View Post
I think I have posted this before.

While on the Rubicon Trail, running the engine on the Jeep vs not running had a DRAMATIC affect on the skeeters trying to attack.

Engine ON at idle, skeeters went one way; Engine OFF and all of a sudden skeeters went other way.

The bugs seem to have an idea of what they want to suck blood from.

YMMV>.
It's the CO or CO2 your jeep was putting out. I know a few years back when west nile was the disaster of the week they were selling mosquito traps en masse that used propane as the bait. the propane would burn, and one of the two gases would attract the skeeters up in the trap. My guess is your jeep's exhaust was attracting them like a bug zapper, then when it was off you were the next best target. Either that or it's like sitting in smoke from a fire, tastes bad, but usually good for keepin the bugs off ya.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaik For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2012, 11:03 AM
A Round American Woman

My husband always says that the best mosquito repellant for him, is having ME sit next to him.

I get a thousand bites, he gets none. Sitting side by side.

He says it's because he drinks beer. I have no idea, but my entire life I have attracted every mosquito in a square mile. They send up the flags when I'm around and in they come. There is NO repellant out there that works on me. None.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:42 PM
www.chemflame.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
My husband always says that the best mosquito repellant for him, is having ME sit next to him.

I get a thousand bites, he gets none. Sitting side by side.

He says it's because he drinks beer. I have no idea, but my entire life I have attracted every mosquito in a square mile. They send up the flags when I'm around and in they come. There is NO repellant out there that works on me. None.
I've heard B1 (Thiamin) causes a body order that the misquotes don't like. You might want to try that for two weeks and see what happens. Or do like your husband and drink beer
The Following User Says Thank You to IceDemon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

Thanked 1,583 Times in 788 Posts

I've found that the only thing that works is the mosquito net that I attached to a cap. It has an elastic for the neck area which I tuck into the shirt. Looks ridiculous, but what do I care. They are the state bird here in Minnesota.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Green Eggs and Spam

Thanked 2,226 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaik View Post
It's the CO or CO2 your jeep was putting out...
YEA ... maybe.

They were mostly bouncing into the front windshield. CO Emissions would/should have been at the back of the Jeep.

I don't really know. I just wanted to share my experience that Northern California Skeeters have a fly/no-fly attack mode based on a Jeep engine running or not.