Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Notices

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 08:14 AM
survive's Avatar
survive survive is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,962
Thanks: 3,218
Thanked 3,603 Times in 1,298 Posts
Default The Wire Coat Hanger: What's your use for it?



Advertise Here

Hi Guys
The coat hanger is one thing that I grew up finding innumerable uses for. You can find these free at some thrift stores or you pay very little for them. I would always raid the closets at home and grab another for for this project or that. Don't think mom ever figured out why the hangers were disappearing

Growing up on a farm, with limited resources drove one to become resourceful. Here's a bunch of ways that I have seen them used

Stiff Wire Coat Hangers

- I keep one in my trunk and have used them to string up mufflers (2 - not mine)
- Make a sturdy s-hook
- Made a business card rack with them.
- Used a piece to replace a cotter pin
- Even made a simple book stand for a night table
- Strung beads on a length of wire, bent the ends to be mini stands and used them as counters for some kids I was homeschooling for their math
- bend it into a loop, string pantyhose over it and you have a minnow net or a paint strainer
- A friend was over for a visit and locked the keys in the car. Used a coat hanger to open it (Saw it done on TV and it worked - go figure!)
- Used it to fish items from tight spaces. Most often ill bend a hook in the end, but once wrapped duct tape, sticky side out, on the end to fish a cassette tape from inside the drywall. (OK I am dating myself here)
- Handy for unclogging the vacuum hose
- Make a mobile
- Make a frame to build paper mache onto
- Unclog toilet
- Make a kite
- Roasting hot dogs/ marshmallows
- Kids use them to make a bow - they've got a nice spring to them, but are not too dangerous
- Taped a match to the end of a piece to light the pilot light to a propane furnace
- Dowsing rods - have heard that simple bent wires work for some people
- Some older ladies in our church used to braid thick string around the hanger to make decorative ones
- Bend a few pieces to guide your garden hose - sort of like large staples to your lawn
- Swipe your clothes with them to reduce static cling
- Use it for a basic loop to make wreaths
- Make a giant bubble wand - tried this, but never got the bubble solution right.
- Have even made a make shift toilet paper roll holder with one - great for an out house
- Have bent one to be a stand for my soldering iron
- This site has 14 uses for them - The razor organizer is new for me
http://www.instructables.com/id/11-U...e-coat-hanger/
- We have used them as guides for halos for a Christmas pageant

Any other uses out there?

Hmm, I suppose they still work to hang clothes too!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to survive For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2011, 08:22 AM
survive's Avatar
survive survive is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,962
Thanks: 3,218
Thanked 3,603 Times in 1,298 Posts
Default Odd idea for BOB item: The Wire Coat hanger!

Just finished brainstorming the versatility of the old wire coat hangers int he DIY section. Was thinking that it would be good to keep one in the BOB, or, at the very least, keep one in the car gear.

Obviously, not all of these uses would suit the BOB, but some do.
Here's the list:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=154760

Quote:
Originally Posted by survive View Post
Hi Guys
The coat hanger is one thing that I grew up finding innumerable uses for. You can find these free at some thrift stores or you pay very little for them. I would always raid the closets at home and grab another for for this project or that. Don't think mom ever figured out why the hangers were disappearing

Growing up on a farm, with limited resources drove one to become resourceful. Here's a bunch of ways that I have seen them used

Stiff Wire Coat Hangers

- I keep one in my trunk and have used them to string up mufflers (2 - not mine)
- Make a sturdy s-hook
- Made a business card rack with them.
- Used a piece to replace a cotter pin
- Even made a simple book stand for a night table
- Strung beads on a length of wire, bent the ends to be mini stands and used them as counters for some kids I was homeschooling for their math
- bend it into a loop, string pantyhose over it and you have a minnow net or a paint strainer
- A friend was over for a visit and locked the keys in the car. Used a coat hanger to open it (Saw it done on TV and it worked - go figure!)
- Used it to fish items from tight spaces. Most often ill bend a hook in the end, but once wrapped duct tape, sticky side out, on the end to fish a cassette tape from inside the drywall. (OK I am dating myself here)
- Handy for unclogging the vacuum hose
- Make a mobile
- Make a frame to build paper mache onto
- Unclog toilet
- Make a kite
- Roasting hot dogs/ marshmallows
- Kids use them to make a bow - they've got a nice spring to them, but are not too dangerous
- Taped a match to the end of a piece to light the pilot light to a propane furnace
- Dowsing rods - have heard that simple bent wires work for some people
- Some older ladies in our church used to braid thick string around the hanger to make decorative ones
- Bend a few pieces to guide your garden hose - sort of like large staples to your lawn
- Swipe your clothes with them to reduce static cling
- Use it for a basic loop to make wreaths
- Make a giant bubble wand - tried this, but never got the bubble solution right.
- Have even made a make shift toilet paper roll holder with one - great for an out house
- Have bent one to be a stand for my soldering iron
- This site has 14 uses for them - The razor organizer is new for me
http://www.instructables.com/id/11-U...e-coat-hanger/
- We have used them as guides for halos for a Christmas pageant

Any other uses out there?

Hmm, I suppose they still work to hang clothes too!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:23 AM
madcritter's Avatar
madcritter madcritter is offline
Here's my safety Sir
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SE Coastal NC
Posts: 13,990
Thanks: 11,323
Thanked 18,341 Times in 6,643 Posts
Default

I use them for steel filler rod for oxy-acet welding, worked good.
also cut and bend to use for some tool hangers near tool box.
__________________
Ride hard you can rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to madcritter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 AM
deanathpc's Avatar
deanathpc deanathpc is offline
Always Preparing
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western Upstate NY
Age: 43
Posts: 675
Thanks: 403
Thanked 374 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Used 'em to make an antenna for HAM radio - VHF frequencies. cheap and works like a champ!
The Following User Says Thank You to deanathpc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2011, 08:28 AM
CBRN CBRN is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

My Dad and I used to melt them (Dad would, I was a kid) to make bbs' so I could later get in trouble.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CBRN For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Uncle Bob Uncle Bob is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,197
Thanks: 2,983
Thanked 4,850 Times in 2,022 Posts
Default

Why cluter the board with two threads
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=154760
It makes no sence to split your own topic.

No offence intended just too many duplicate threads here.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 AM
survive's Avatar
survive survive is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,962
Thanks: 3,218
Thanked 3,603 Times in 1,298 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Why cluter the board with two threads
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=154760
It makes no sence to split your own topic.

No offence intended just too many duplicate threads here.
Point taken.

However, I know that for myself, I don't visit all of the areas of discussion, especially if I am looking for specific info. The hanger use for the BOB is a specific one and is a camping BOB topic, so I put it here.

For some that are looking for camping information, they most likely would not look in the DIY section for this. Thus the additional posting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to survive For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2011, 10:18 AM
kantill's Avatar
kantill kantill is offline
Rather be outside than in
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sutton AK
Posts: 733
Thanks: 425
Thanked 596 Times in 285 Posts
Default

Open car doors??
Old 02-24-2011, 10:41 AM
OLDWarrior64's Avatar
OLDWarrior64 OLDWarrior64 is offline
Time to hit reset

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IN
Posts: 24,091
Thanks: 27,865
Thanked 27,661 Times in 11,353 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1
Default

If you can't get your hands on old dental picks for weapons cleaning.....Cut a small 14-16 inch piece, put it in an "L" shape. Use a hammer to flatten out the ends and use it to get those 'hard-to-reach' places in your chamber and other places.
__________________
He that blows the coals in quarrels that he has nothing to do with, has no right to complain if the sparks fly in his face. ~ Benjamin Franklin

LIST OF IMPORTANT THREADS FOR FORUM MEMBERS


KEEP THE FORUM GOING STRONG
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OLDWarrior64 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2011, 11:17 AM
wldrbob's Avatar
wldrbob wldrbob is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: northeren manitoba
Posts: 734
Thanks: 167
Thanked 769 Times in 341 Posts
Default

i carry a small roll of mecanics wire probbly do the same thing as a coat hanger
Old 02-24-2011, 11:25 AM
OLDWarrior64's Avatar
OLDWarrior64 OLDWarrior64 is offline
Time to hit reset

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IN
Posts: 24,091
Thanks: 27,865
Thanked 27,661 Times in 11,353 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1
Default

Threads merged....no sense in discussing the same topic in different sections.
__________________
He that blows the coals in quarrels that he has nothing to do with, has no right to complain if the sparks fly in his face. ~ Benjamin Franklin

LIST OF IMPORTANT THREADS FOR FORUM MEMBERS


KEEP THE FORUM GOING STRONG
The Following User Says Thank You to OLDWarrior64 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Rynox34's Avatar
Rynox34 Rynox34 is offline
Realist
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 35
Thanks: 6
Thanked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Default

I made a broken key extractor out of one for car door locks.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:59 PM
anne36's Avatar
anne36 anne36 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,913
Thanks: 4,577
Thanked 2,717 Times in 1,262 Posts
Default

Mainly used as the sturdy S hook lately.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Averageguy209 Averageguy209 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: stockton ca
Posts: 3,595
Thanks: 800
Thanked 2,848 Times in 1,508 Posts
Default

S hooks
quick repiar on anything that needs held up or binded
roast marshmallows on
cook dogs on
Instant key for most cars
stereo antenea
brand for drunken tough guys
And many more fun things

They seem hard to find though
Old 02-24-2011, 03:17 PM
eddoiam eddoiam is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 29
Thanks: 36
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Default

As a kid we used to make wrist-rockets out of them. Not as strong or as accurate as a store bought of course, probably wont take out anything bigger than a pigeon, but still lots of fun to play with and really irritates the raccoons.
The Following User Says Thank You to eddoiam For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2011, 04:37 PM
survive's Avatar
survive survive is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,962
Thanks: 3,218
Thanked 3,603 Times in 1,298 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddoiam View Post
As a kid we used to make wrist-rockets out of them. Not as strong or as accurate as a store bought of course, probably wont take out anything bigger than a pigeon, but still lots of fun to play with and really irritates the raccoons.
Had to look up "wrist rocket" and realized that it is a "sling shot". Never used the term wrist rocket before.

I suppose that it would work well using rubber from an inner tube.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:42 PM
scienceteacher's Avatar
scienceteacher scienceteacher is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hooterville,NC
Posts: 719
Thanks: 4
Thanked 891 Times in 350 Posts
Default

Unwind then bend the short end into a hook, hang my canning screw lids on them, re hook the short end onto the long end.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:13 PM
SgtBooker44's Avatar
SgtBooker44 SgtBooker44 is offline
Ron Swanson 2016
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: California
Posts: 31,028
Thanks: 4,345
Thanked 25,587 Times in 13,392 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1
Default

I hung my jacket in the entryway closet this morning. How handy.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2011, 07:23 PM
ashhoe's Avatar
ashhoe ashhoe is offline
Ready
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Live in S. Mi, "live" in N. Mi.
Posts: 305
Thanks: 13
Thanked 224 Times in 128 Posts
Default

Blow gun darts, if you have the lungs to fire them (little on the heavy side).
Frog gig and/or fish spear.
That's about all the interesting things I've ever used them for.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:46 PM
eddoiam eddoiam is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 29
Thanks: 36
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by survive View Post
Had to look up "wrist rocket" and realized that it is a "sling shot". Never used the term wrist rocket before.

I suppose that it would work well using rubber from an inner tube.
I know different states sometimes have different names for the same things, but here in Nor.Cal. a wrist-rocket and slingshot are a little different... at least in so far as a wrist-rocket has a wrist support. Using a coat hanger, the curved hook would be bent to wrap around your wrist. Also we used multiple rubber bands looped together for the band instead of inner tube. I think the pull with inner tube might be to tough on the hanger.
The Following User Says Thank You to eddoiam For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best pliers/wire cutters for cutting barbed wire/fences/razor wire? Pilot Piotrowski Reviews and questions 32 02-24-2011 08:41 AM
Red Wire, Yellow Wire PorterinMaine Urban Survival 7 01-25-2010 09:07 AM
Forge-made pot hanger for camp cooking quake Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 07-07-2009 02:27 PM
How to make an adjustable pot hanger kev Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 2 10-15-2008 06:35 PM
Razor Wire / Barbed Wire - Need Info jfountain2 Urban Survival 12 09-09-2008 10:25 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net