Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 01-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,836 Times in 5,308 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepawpawman View Post
Everybody wants to be rich, but how many rich people do you admire for their personable qualities? maybe Paris Hilton or Priscella Presley?
I was being silly. that swag is great though? Unfortunatly you cant buy them
Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Target Shooter

What if you put a web mesh on the outside of the conveyor belt material bottom with D rings around the edge? The bag could then be hung as a hammock as well. When packed you could then have a molle type system on the outside for attachments.
It would be heavy and expensive, but durable and versatile. I like the idea. I think it would be marketable outside the homeless target base. I don't think I could afford one though.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Avid Indoorsman

Maybe you want to try out an idea I have.
It's "Mylar Sandwich".
Your layers are
Waterproof layer (nylon)
mylar
blanket
mylar
Waterproof layer.

That's repeated for the over quilt as well.

The issue with any insulating layer is the compression of the functioning airspace between layers.
Don't we all feel the most cold at our shoulder and hip where the most weight is applied?

The mylar should find a firm, incompressible air space with a blanket.

The negative issue is the vapor build up.
So maybe a more ventilating layer of fleece for the internal sleep area?

Vapor is an issue with the idea.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,625 Times in 2,530 Posts

Quote:
The idea is to have a sleeping bag that combines as a back pack and a rainy weather poncho made from vinyl canvas. The bag will deflate/inflate by squeezing/venting foam-rubber pads in the lining. It will zip and seal as two pieces so you can go without a tent, and it will have a hood that pulls over with mosquito netting. The lower flap will have stainless steel grommet holes so it can be staked to the ground. The inside lining will probably be Gortex and the foam pads might be inside reflective mylar (space blanket) for severely cold weather.
It's called a bivy sack. Look it up. Minus the transformation into a backpack of course. Otherwise you just described a high end bivy sack.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Target Shooter

The biggest negative I see on this, at least for the open market, is that you essentially have to unpack all your gear to use the bag. The homeless won't probably have tons of gear anyway, but I think this idea has great potential.
I for one like the idea of a high end bivy sack that I could use as a hammock type sleep system or straight on the ground that converts into a weatherproof backpack with molle straps. The OP may have come up with a really good idea.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,449 Times in 1,669 Posts
Default they are not alone

Quote:
You bring up a great point. There is no retirement for a homeless person. There are no golden years and there is no social security regardless of what they might have paid in.
well, they're not alone. boomers don't want to admit it, reality is too hard to take, but i will not have a retirement, no golden years, no social security, and neither will the majority of my generation. i have a roof over my head now but I don't expect that will stay that way once I am unable to work due to my old age. just reality for 3/4 or more of todays over 50 crowd. if you are of a younger generation, and i suspect you are OP, you will have plenty of opportunity to test the gear you design and give to people like me. (are you sure you are not from the government?)
Old 01-11-2011, 03:24 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 6,748 Times in 2,815 Posts

There have been some attempts at this for the homeless and some for camping/survival. The ones I have seen were worthless (IMO).

One I have used that was meant for the military, that might give you some ideas, is the Ecotat poncho/shelter/bivy.

IMO, the main thing I would concentrate on would be a poncho kind of system that would give a person shelter from rain/wind and could serve as something they could put a sleeping bag into when it came time to sleep.

I would not try to build too much into one thing (i.e., don't make it a sleeping bag too), because:

1) Too complex and prone to failure.
2) Too spendy.
3) Most homeless people will use something of their own as a sleeping bag.

If you could make something like an Ecotat that would be inexpensive and robust then that would probably be enough.

http://www.combatreform.org/ECOTATSYSTEMS/index.htm
Old 01-12-2011, 12:45 AM
VIP Member

You could also use baling twine and some grommet kits and experiment with those blue tarps the homeless use already over the place.

May I suggest another alternative?

Classes with free donuts and some goodies at the end. The class being a simple instructional in all the ways you can improvise to keep yourself warm and dry using materials that are readily available to the homeless.
Don't just sleep on top of a cardboard box-get in the box itself! Put 2 or 3 boxes end to end and knock out the bottoms and bingo! You have yourself a nice windproof and fairly waterproof cocoon to snooze in.
How to split open a large trash bag and tie off the ends with twine to use as a tarp.
Basically a comic style handout sheet showing all the ways to keep warm and dry. Maybe a Fred the hobo style character showing how to stay warm/dry.
Go out and scout around the areas where you plan to interact with the homeless-what materials are lying around as trash that you can use for shelter? Sleeping shelter? Portable shelter that goes with you-a trash bag or a dry cleaner's bag and newspapers?
How many ways can you use these stuff?
Can you modify items if you do not have ideal items or make substitutes?
Waterproof pockets in clothing-a plastic grocery bag in a pocket. Put newspaper inside the bag and you have an insulated waterproof pocket.
How about feet-plastic grocery bags and newspapers?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,207 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Classes with free donuts and some goodies at the end. The class being a simple instructional in all the ways you can improvise to keep yourself warm and dry using materials that are readily available to the homeless.
If you offer a class with fruits and veggies to snack on, the only ones who will come and eat that are the smart and dedicated ones. Give THOSE a free sleeping bag. Stop encouraging a shallow gene pool.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:22 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 6,748 Times in 2,815 Posts

Interesting design, but at 4 kg. it is three times the weight and size (in the bag) of my bivy, 50% heavier and twice the size (in the bag) of my two person expedition tent.

Also, I can use my bivy as a poncho and while poles may seem silly, there isn't always a tree (or something like it) to hang guy lines from.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:51 AM

To the OP. bad idea, if someone is wearing it as a poncho and it gets wet, you're in big trouble when you try to convert it to a tent.

A homeless person is much better off using a lightweight poncho and a lightweight tent that remains dry in it's own bag.

Being dry, more than anything else, is the key to survival and camping. Everything else is secondary.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnpatrick View Post
To the OP. bad idea, if someone is wearing it as a poncho and it gets wet, you're in big trouble when you try to convert it to a tent.

A homeless person is much better off using a lightweight poncho and a lightweight tent that remains dry in it's own bag.

Being dry, more than anything else, is the key to survival and camping. Everything else is secondary.

I've come to the same conclusion:

A tent should be a tent, a sleeping bag should be a sleeping bag, a backpack a backpack, and a poncho should be a poncho.

I propose a very compact inflatable tent shaped like an igloo. The bottom half would be an inflatable sleeping mattress and the top half would be inflatable except curved like an igloo. There would be just enough room inside for a sleeping bag and personal effects and the tent elevation would be less than three feet.

This tent would have an opening for breathing so condensation doesn't collect inside the tent. The air space in the breathing quarters of the tent would be separated from the rest of the tent. In effect this would be like a big inflated suit.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by methemom View Post
well, they're not alone. boomers don't want to admit it, reality is too hard to take, but i will not have a retirement, no golden years, no social security, and neither will the majority of my generation. i have a roof over my head now but I don't expect that will stay that way once I am unable to work due to my old age. just reality for 3/4 or more of todays over 50 crowd. if you are of a younger generation, and i suspect you are OP, you will have plenty of opportunity to test the gear you design and give to people like me. (are you sure you are not from the government?)
I'm 58 years old.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Hiker

well sell your idea to the gov then when they hand them out to the homeless, the ppl that want one can trade a bottle of wine for one.we hand out sleeping bags here in canada and they sell them right away . then they say theres were stolen and our idiot gov hands out more.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:18 AM

Don't know if this applies to what you were talking about but I figured it was worth sharing anyway...Cool concept

http://onderdak.wordpress.com/voorbeelden/
Old 01-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,836 Times in 5,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortar View Post
Don't know if this applies to what you were talking about but I figured it was worth sharing anyway...Cool concept

http://onderdak.wordpress.com/voorbeelden/
I must admit I would get pretty creeped out if a homless person just latched on to my air conditioning.
But.
If it is cold enough to need airconditioning inside the house then you do not need to warm the Igloo.

Does hot air come out the back of those things when they heat?