Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 07-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Hiker

Default Wood Gas: How to Run Your Engine on Firewood

Advertise Here

In try to find ways to beat the oil price crunch, I have come across a seemingly simple device called a wood gas generator. The basic principle is to collect the gas emissions from burning wood, filter it, and then connect it to an engine manifold. Devices such as these were in widespread use in Europe during WWII, when conventional liquid fuels were unavailable. Many people converted their cars, trucks, tractors, generators, and other engines to run on wood gas. Most of the wood gas generators were constructed out of whatever materials could be scavenged for little to no cost. After watching a few videos on YouTube, I came across a reference to a publication produced by FEMA in 1989 (“Construction of a Simplified Wood Gas Generator for Fueling Internal Combustion Engines in a Petroleum Emergency”) on how to construct a simple generator in times of crisis and limited fuel supply.

Here’s the link:
http://www.global-greenhouse-warming..._generator.pdf

After a brief review of the instructions, this does not appear to be overly complicated to build. It is certainly not out of the realm for us common folk with some degree of mechanical skills.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Wild Edibles Expert

Thanked 9,779 Times in 4,218 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 3

Yes and no.... WWII... on gasoline fueled vehicles simple carburetors... no sensors, no fuel injectors, no computers... I think the Yugo, which really was a great car, was the last car with a true carburetor. Vehicles rigged to run on LP gas might do better with wood gas.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,513 Times in 737 Posts

Hmmmm, an old Suburban with carbeurated engine.....
Old 07-01-2008, 03:46 PM

my brother inlaw and I got a 55gal drum and decided to make one of these, wood gassifiers. we started simple with a simple stove pipe hopper and a colinder at the bottom for the coals. we didnt hook up a motor or anything, just wanted to see if we could ignite the gas's. well a word of caution, the motor creates sucktion, this is required, why ? cause else the gas all just sits in the 55gal drum till it explodes. lol.

after about 2min of us not being able to ignite the fumes coming out of the vent the top of the 55gal drum blew sky high, it landed probably 30ft away from us and both him and I both lost all our eye brows.

so yes it works, but you MUST either have a fan blower or a motor sucking the gas out of the drum or its super scary. we were both lucky we were not overtop of the drum lid when it blew.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by updatelee View Post
my brother inlaw and I got a 55gal drum and decided to make one of these, wood gassifiers. we started simple with a simple stove pipe hopper and a colinder at the bottom for the coals. we didnt hook up a motor or anything, just wanted to see if we could ignite the gas's. well a word of caution, the motor creates sucktion, this is required, why ? cause else the gas all just sits in the 55gal drum till it explodes. lol.

after about 2min of us not being able to ignite the fumes coming out of the vent the top of the 55gal drum blew sky high, it landed probably 30ft away from us and both him and I both lost all our eye brows.

so yes it works, but you MUST either have a fan blower or a motor sucking the gas out of the drum or its super scary. we were both lucky we were not overtop of the drum lid when it blew.
Eeek! That sounded like quite a scare! This is probably why the instructions by FEMA do call for a blower.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:28 PM

ya in an effort to get it running as easily and cheaply as possible we skipped that step. I wouldnt recommend skipping that step. later as a cheap way of testing it we bought a small 8" clip fan at walmart for like $5. we were able to get a constant flame from the gas the wood burner created, I was surprised it worked so well for something so simple.

I never did find a motor to try it on though, maybe a friend will upgrade to a new mower, rototiller, etc and give me their old one