Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 08-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Trapper

Default Layered dehydrated meal in a jar

Advertise Here

You know those cookie mixes in a jar people make where they layer the ingredients in a canning jar? I'm thinking about stew or chili in a jar like that for gifts. Nice convenience meal for working families too. And a quart jar of dried food would make a BIG batch of stew or chili! It would probably be cheaper and taste better than a pouch meal.

I don't think kidney beans in the chili however, because everything else would be mush by the time the beans cooked up. I think stew would be better.

Any input out there?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maggie357 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Mom Walton

Thanked 2,597 Times in 886 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/friend...ar/Detail.aspx

This has raving reviews for flavor and ease.

There are links to more recipes in the upper left corner.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to survivalistmomma For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2010, 04:34 PM

That depends on if your chili/stew is any good.

Well is it?
Old 08-04-2010, 04:38 PM
aging

Thanked 12,472 Times in 4,087 Posts

I was considering something similar for holiday gifts, I can get a case of half-ounce packets of "San Francisco sourdough starter" (the specific yeast variant from there has a distinctive flavor) and put packets in a large jar, with recipe cards, other items, put it all in a loaf pan and wrap.
The Following User Says Thank You to W.Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,463 Times in 1,743 Posts

get beans that are dehydrated, or dehydrate your own if you want beans in a chili. you can even dehydrate the canned ones yourself. excellent idea though, thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wyldflwr For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,690 Posts

That's cool! Thanks!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:29 PM

Check out this guys videos.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:29 PM

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shane87 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivalistmomma View Post
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/friend...ar/Detail.aspx

This has raving reviews for flavor and ease.

There are links to more recipes in the upper left corner.
Cool! I think you've given me the idea for my Christmas present this year. Every year I try to make something homemade
(Mainly, as I am broke!)
One year it was a premixed (dry ingredients) italian dressing. One year it was nuts and bolts (Like the commercial "Bits and Bites - but better!) Made squares another year. I have one year I was learning more about herbs, so I made a 25 ml container of Plantain Salve and a tube of homemade medicated lip balm. One year I still had halloween chocolate left and a friend of mine gave me a "CASE" of small tooth paste tubes (She works for a dentist) So I wrapped a chocolate bar and a tube of toothpaste together and gave one to every kid I met that Christmas. Both the parents and the kids loved the gift!!

Still getting repeat orders for the lip balm. One friend ordered 50. He's all for "stocking up"

But haven't done soup yet. Thought about the layered cookie ingredients..... it's a toss up!

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to survive For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2010, 12:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,193 Times in 4,116 Posts

25 years ago my mother made 13 bean soup mix gifts (in a Mason jar with the dried beans and a plastic packet of dried herbs from her garden) as a Christmas gift for friends and neighbors. This is a good way to prepare and store a very healthy meal.

Donate to help this forum.
www.survivalistboards.com/payments.php

New Solar Powered Backup Generator Provides Instant Electrical Power In Any Outage Or Disaster.
http://images.ultracart.com/aff/E1DE...800/index.html
Old 08-05-2010, 12:41 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,055 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie357 View Post
You know those cookie mixes in a jar people make where they layer the ingredients in a canning jar? I'm thinking about stew or chili in a jar like that for gifts. Nice convenience meal for working families too. And a quart jar of dried food would make a BIG batch of stew or chili! It would probably be cheaper and taste better than a pouch meal.

I don't think kidney beans in the chili however, because everything else would be mush by the time the beans cooked up. I think stew would be better.

Any input out there?
Maggie, do a quick web search for homemade gifts in jars and you will find many many sites with 'recipes' for both the sweet kind and the savory ones. Here is a site with a recipe for Lentil Soup (note: lentils cook much faster than non-dehydrated beans, but the tip given about dehydrating your own beans is a very good one too).

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/reci...cember-recipes

A few years ago I found a whole board devoted to mainly cheap and quick gifts to give for Christmas and they had a forum devoted to recipes for jar gifts. I don't know the URL any more - but you might find it if you poke around, particularly since times have not gotten much better since I last visited there and even more people are probably going to have stretch things this year.

Another site that may have a few ideas for you.

http://www.giftsfromyourkitchen.com/jar/jar.html

The bottom recipes on this next link are for soups in a jar (the top ones are sweet stuff .. scroll down).

http://www.squawkfox.com/2008/12/02/...ble-gift-tags/

This one has a few savory mixes on it as well ...

http://www.eatingonabudget.com/homemademixes

You might look up sites (have come across quite a few) which 'collect' recipes for camping. Many of those give you ideas for 'backpacking meals' - often dehydrated stuff that you just add boiling water to, like a Mountain House meal made at home type of thing - which would be perfect for just putting in a jar with simple instructions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teslin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2010, 01:20 AM
Rest In Peace My Brothers

Thanked 27,437 Times in 14,379 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

I used the same idea with my wife's Minnestrone Soup recipe. I dehydrated all the ingredients, one at a time. Premixed into a vacuum bag and then mylar.

Add 2 gallons of water and simmer for 2 hours, awesome.
The Following User Says Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Prepared

We have a Fred's store near us. They had $1 cookbooks on an end display that include "Family Living, Our favorite gift mixes." It covers cookies, drinks, muffins, soups, pancakes. Haven't tried any of the recipes yet but I figured for a buck I couldn't go too wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to PistolPackingMama For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Trapper

Thank you Teslin, survivalistmomma and Shane87 for the links. I will surely go there.

And pistolpackinmama, those $1 would be a great addition to my jar meal, to encourage people to prepare their own. Thanks.

I think I have solved the "too many people on my list to give gifts to everyone" problem. Thanks again, all.

More ideas are welcome.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:45 PM

There was a cookbook mentioned in the books section http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=117259 not too long ago. It looks like it has some good recipes that would fit the bill.