Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 07-27-2010, 06:57 PM
You looking at me!

Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,584 Posts
Default Finish Puuko and leuku knives

Advertise Here

Does anybody have any experience with these knives?

Im really liking the look of them and just need some comments on there quality.

Thanks

Chef

http://finnish-puukko.blogspot.com/

FINNISH not FINISH lol
Old 07-28-2010, 09:20 PM
I hate everyone equally !

It depends on the manufacturer but they are usually good knives and are made in both Finland Sweden and Norway by our indigenous people ( Most of them are handmade and they have pricetags from 50 up to 1000 dollars depending on the knifemaker )

The one i have is easy to sharp and easy to let it stay sharp ( My knife is made in what we call swedish lapland )
The Following User Says Thank You to Tankspridd For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 05:00 AM
Svensk hamster

Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,280 Posts

I have a combo. The knives are really good, they are extremely sharp and stays that way. The dangling leather sheath, on the other hand, is terrible. I never bring these knives unless I carry a backpack.
Attached Thumbnails
knife.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to indoorsman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 05:15 AM
90/10 headed for 95/5

Thanked 5,799 Times in 2,929 Posts

I have two Kellam knives, one a Puukko and the other a Wolf Pack Tracker. The knives are well-balanced, extremely sharp, and fit my hands perfectly. They're amazing bits of kit, and I would highly recommend them.

I agree with Indoorsman, the sheaths are nice, but I won't carry them on my belt. They stay in my pack until needed.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Recent Blog:
Gone.

Thanked 24,869 Times in 10,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftothestars View Post
Does anybody have any experience with these knives?

Im really liking the look of them and just need some comments on there quality.

Thanks

Chef

http://finnish-puukko.blogspot.com/

FINNISH not FINISH lol
I could be wrong but Sticks and Yorkshireboy immediatly spring to mind for some reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smudge For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,907 Times in 2,942 Posts

I love and use and collect Nordic/Scandi knives--comes from having a large Icelandic and Finnish population hereabouts.

I have Kellam, H. Roselli, Lapin Puukko, Marttini, Paaso-puukot, Brusletto, Helle, Samekniven, EKA, Fallkniven, Karesuando and the ones featured in the article Puukkojunkkari as well as a number of custom makers that I picked up over there in my many visits...One of my nephews works/lives in Helsinki and the other in Copenhagen and a niece in Stockholm.

These are not Mora and they don't sell for $20...Puukkojunkkari blades are in the $80 to $150+ range and worth every damn penny...Excellent steel, workmanship, leatherwork and fit and finish...They seem to have a slightly larger handle girth then most of the commercial makers, which I like but my daughters don't...Ragweed Forge has great knives and fantastic service, alas, just not this specific maker, so if you're looking for Nordic blades check him out.

I started with them when a client came up with a small, serrated, fish knife (Kalapuukko Model #RK80) that was great to use so I bought a couple of them and some of the larger blades in stainless steel and just got as a birthday present their Pikku-Karhu-Jahtipuukko Model #RV82A hunting knife...I've also got some of their carbon blades which I really like for hunting and camp work--Susi-Leuku, Elk and I just love the handling of these last two, HV125A and HV105A.

They are damn fine knives!

The dangle sheath is a safety measure; it moves with you and isn't rigid like a heavy belt sheath is...This way it doesn't stab you in the rib cage or jam into your thigh when sitting or crouching...The Saami who've I've seen working usually have them almost on the back or in an appendix carry--which helps from getting them snagged...Then again, we aren't talking heavy bush that they're negotiating through.

A.G. Russell really like the idea and made his Whitetail Hunter and Bird & Trout knife with a kydex sheath and a steel chain with a clip to go on your belt loop...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Svensk hamster

Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
The dangle sheath is a safety measure; it moves with you and isn't rigid like a heavy belt sheath is...This way it doesn't stab you in the rib cage or jam into your thigh when sitting or crouching...The Saami who've I've seen working usually have them almost on the back or in an appendix carry--which helps from getting them snagged...Then again, we aren't talking heavy bush that they're negotiating through.
It drives me crazy! When that damn thing hit your thigh for the 10000th time, you throw that sucker into the backpack. I am constantly nagging on my girlfriend to modify the sheath, so the knife will ride higher on my hip.

(Apart from that though, the knives are a pleasure to use.)
The Following User Says Thank You to indoorsman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Outdoorsman

I'm 1/4 Finn, so my view is, of course, biased.

I enjoy these blades a lot. My Marttiini Leuku is my most prized blade, and is a 3rd generation heirloom at this point... and it gets used regularly. Pukkos are also very nice, and I like that the lack of guard forces you to use the knife more carefully than many bowie or other survival knives with guards. I see too many Boy Scouts toting K-Bar's around like they're about to stab the devil hisself, but they get worn out using such a heavy blade to process their firewood and food on a long camp. Nothing we do in bushcrafting requires you to stab with your blade, so choosing a blade more suited to slicing and chopping is better for the camper.

I like the Leuku carry, too, with the deep sheath and belt loop.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,907 Times in 2,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorsman View Post
It drives me crazy! When that damn thing hit your thigh for the 10000th time, you throw that sucker into the backpack. I am constantly nagging on my girlfriend to modify the sheath, so the knife will ride higher on my hip.

(Apart from that though, the knives are a pleasure to use.)
You know you could always wear it higher on your body!

Winter hunting, heavy clothes and then a set of white overalls with a blaze orange vest on top of that (Provincial rules) makes getting your knife difficult to say the least so I took three 200 cm/80 inch leather boot laces (2 pr for $5), braided them together and just tied off the ends...Now I can carry my knife, folding saw and hatchet on my person, outside of my clothing, within easy reach, on my waist not hips--like most pants are cut today...I also have an antelope beaded fire bag with my small honing steel and stone, lighter, flint and steel, tinder etc. on the strap so that touching up an edge or making a fire for tea break or lunch is more convenient; being readily accessible.

A couple of my daughters took their old, outgrown, leather belts and buckled them together to do the same thing...works very well.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post: