Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 05-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Stranded on Earth

Thanked 4,354 Times in 1,646 Posts

Advertise Here

AFAIK, the Cobalt UZI Defenders are 440c. The UC UZI Defenders are 420 with CryoEdge processing. IIRC, that involves taking the steel down to at least –320 degrees F slowly over as long as 48 hours. (if done properly)

I will do some testing with my Cobalt UZI Defenders. Since I have two, I can test one and compare it to the other. I already tried one test, and if failed. I tried to stab it through the side of a 89 Bronco. The knife point showed no ill effects, but it didn’t penetrate. I am not strong enough.

I’ll chop some 2x4’s in half, and cut some white ash branches. Then I’ll look at the edges under the microscope. This should be interesting.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:28 AM
Custom Knife Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
AFAIK, the Cobalt UZI Defenders are 440c. The UC UZI Defenders are 420 with CryoEdge processing. IIRC, that involves taking the steel down to at least –320 degrees F slowly over as long as 48 hours. (if done properly)

I will do some testing with my Cobalt UZI Defenders. Since I have two, I can test one and compare it to the other. I already tried one test, and if failed. I tried to stab it through the side of a 89 Bronco. The knife point showed no ill effects, but it didn’t penetrate. I am not strong enough.

I’ll chop some 2x4’s in half, and cut some white ash branches. Then I’ll look at the edges under the microscope. This should be interesting.
I posted a couple of videos from youtube that showed some professional cutting competitions somewhere (I think in this thread), you can do some of the same tests to field test your knives. Also check out the ABS JS test procedures, they really get involved with the knife testing.

EDIT: Heres the thread I was talking about, http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...8&postcount=54
Old 05-21-2010, 12:29 AM
Never Ready Enough

Cold Steel Khurki Machete
Old 05-21-2010, 01:43 AM
Custom Knife Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSM_GutPile View Post
Use what you want and enjoy your life. I am not hear to argue. But just so the record is straight here is information from a well respected source:

420 and 420J represent the low end of stainless steels. They are very stain resistant, and are tough due to being very soft. However, they are also very weak, and not very wear resistant. Generally speaking, expect these steels to lose their edge quickly through abrasion and impaction. They are used in less-expensive knives due to their ease of machining. Ref - 420 vs. 420J2 Steel Composition Comparison.

440A and its relative peers, 425M, 420HC, 12C27, and 6A are the next group. They can be hardened more than the previous group, for better strength, and they are more wear resistant, though wear resistance is just getting to the point of acceptability. 440A and 12C27 are the leaders of this group, with solid heat treat both perform okay. 12C27 is said to be particularly pure and can perform very well when heat treated properly. 6A trails those two steels, though with its vanadium content, can take a razor edge. 425M and 420HC trail the rest. Ref - 440A vs. 425M vs. 420HC vs. 12C27 vs. AUS-6A Steel Composition Comparison.

Gin-1, ATS-55, 8A, and 440C comprise the next group. These steels will usually be stronger than the previous group, and more wear-resistant. Generally speaking, they retain excellent stain resistance properties, though ATS-55 sticks out here as not particularly stain resistant. 8A is also worth a mention, with some vanadium content, it can take an extremely sharp edge very easily, but is also the weakest and least wear-resistant of this group. Ref - Gin-1 vs. ATS-55 vs. AUS-8 vs. 440C Steel Composition Comparison.

ATS-34/154CM, VG-10, and S60V are the next group up. It's difficult to make generalizations about ATS-34 and 154-CM -- they are in such widespread use that heat treat varies widely. These steels provide a high-end performance benchmark for stainless steels, and hold an edge well, and are tough enough for many uses (though not on par with good non-stainlesses). They aren't very stain resistant, however. VG-10 can be thought of as being like ATS-34 and 154-CM, but doing just about everything a hair better. It's a little more stain resistant, tougher, holds an edge a little better. And VG-10 has vanadium in it, it's fine-grained and takes the best edge of this group. S60V has by far the best wear resistance of the group, though consensus is becoming that it should be left around the same hardness as 440C (56ish Rc), which means it will be relatively weak compared to ATS-34, 154-CM, and VG-10, and so it will indent and lose its edge quickly when strength is required. S60V is the winner here when pure abrasion resistance is much more important than edge strength.
And just for the record I am a Custom Knife Maker and know all the info I posted from the top of my head and from my many years of experience making custom knives. And you said you were not here to argue but you still did argue with me about it. I have a vast knowledge when it comes to custom knives and knife steels.
The Following User Says Thank You to J.McDonald Knives For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2010, 05:32 AM

depends on the envoirnment where you are at. In the jungle an simple knive would not be enough and a machette in the desert is not very usefull
Old 05-21-2010, 08:28 AM

Excellent!! I hope your business is thriving. Use what works for you and make what your customer base wants to see. Have a good weekend.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:17 PM

One word:
RAT7
Old 05-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Timekeeper

Sog jungle primative
http://www.trueswords.com/images/pro...SION14_540.jpg
Old 05-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Custom Knife Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hours View Post
That one looks pretty nice.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Gone Fishin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.McDonald Knives View Post
And just for the record I am a Custom Knife Maker and know all the info I posted from the top of my head and from my many years of experience making custom knives. And you said you were not here to argue but you still did argue with me about it. I have a vast knowledge when it comes to custom knives and knife steels.
Not to be a jerk, but today anyone and their mother can claim to be a Custom Knife Maker, doesn't mean much just another guy on the internet claiming to be something to make his opinion sound better.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Custom Knife Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJAY View Post
Not to be a jerk, but today anyone and their mother can claim to be a Custom Knife Maker, doesn't mean much just another guy on the internet claiming to be something to make his opinion sound better.
I understand where you are coming from but I don't just claim to be one, I am a custom knife maker. Heck you can just go check out my website if you question the fact.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:53 AM

I would want the SOG jungle primative.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:23 AM

Short black kabar
Just straight edge, never found a real use for the serrations.
Easier to conceal than a big one.
Does everything I need it to.
keep it simple, stooppidd
Old 05-28-2010, 08:48 AM

I'd pick the kukri (thick ones), even because I've just bought it!

In everyday city carry... swiss knife/multi tool (the only ones fully legal in Italy if you have no license)
Old 06-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Young Adult

My taiwanese handmade fixed blade made from a chinese bomb shell ( my brother got it for me)
Old 06-02-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
I've found the Uzi's to be one of the best knives I've owned in the price range. You can do a lot worse, and pay a heck of a lot more!
Old 06-14-2010, 01:51 AM

...creo que el FROST MORA es lo mejor...es pequeño,resistente y pasa inadvertido...y más en España que prácticamente están prohibidas las armas a casi todo el mundo.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:21 PM
American

I ran across a company called Scrap yard knife company who sells some pretty wicked blades. Very tough and under $100. I'm looking at the SOD (Son of Dogfather) model.
http://www.scrapyardknives.com/knives.htm
Old 06-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMan View Post
1# choice

8"-10" strong leuku. Why?
- It have enough weight to chop, so you can make shelter fast and easily.
- Splits firewood well
- Can do finer tasks like whittling, fuzzies, butchering animals etc.
- Easy to sharpen in field
- Bigger is better if you have to defend yourself against animals or human beings.

I own a Marrttinni Leuku, 8 inches, and despite it being a Finnish "Silver Steel" vs. carbon, it is the one knife I do not go into the woods without. Ever. I have a carbon Mora and a half dozen other blades that make it to the wilderness with me, but the Leuku is always there. It has never failed to perform, whether it's the ABS cutting standards, carving a 40# bow from california bay wood, cleaning a gourd out for a bowl, butchering any number of meats for my dinner, and retains an evil edge far longer than most knives I've carried, including those of my own manufacture.

Top knife on the list.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:00 AM

The one that is always with me, Leatherman Wave. But then it's not just a knife and for that it would be a Buck 101.