Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,298 Times in 2,025 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLight View Post
I have a Stainless Steel Rolex Submariner. --DL
Isn't that the watch JTR wore in Jerry Ahern's "The Survivalist" series??

BTW, I've got an old Timex wind up and a couple of wind up pocket watches.

Was gonna get a Seiko watch for 35 year award and company decided that awards were too $$$, so they add a couple of days to your vacation now.

Last edited by bltjr1951; 04-18-2010 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: BTW
Old 04-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,588 Times in 3,317 Posts

Sundial?

Just to be contrary, what would you need a watch for? It's not like you need to be somewhere at a certain time.

I own a cheap mickey mouse pocket watch but never use it (and I do mean mickey mouse, his hands point to the time).

Somehow I've managed to exist my whole life without a watch and just don't see the importance for it in a SHTF situation.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Shangri la

Thanked 46,307 Times in 15,612 Posts

everywhere you go, time is staring at you. It's hard to get away from time. phones,pagers,signs,clock towers,I hate those LED signs-always telling you the time&temp.
The Following User Says Thank You to rover For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 95,273 Times in 31,459 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover View Post
everywhere you go, time is staring at you. It's hard to get away from time. phones,pagers,signs,clock towers,I hate those LED signs-always telling you the time&temp.
It'll probably be refreshing to not have to deal with it. Stephpd is right, it's not like we will have to be somewhere at a particular time.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover View Post
who makes a good digital watch that will not beep? reliably Not Beep.
I'm pretty sure all digital watches can be modified to not beep. Well, I haven't owned every type of digital watch ever made so I can't tell you that I'm 100% sure but I'm pretty confident.

Digital watches beep because of a small disk usually glued to the watch back.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/981/p1070815.jpg

If that disk is gone, all the beeping goes with it. The easier way would be to just remove the spring that comes in contact with that disk. It just so happens that in the case of the watch shown, just flipping the watch back 180 degrees makes it so that the spring doesn't come in contact with the disk.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/5783/p1070817.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to ziptrickhead For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,111 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaState View Post
I am looking for the best survival watch. I like luminox becuase of their durability. I would like something that has the date, time, day etc. What do you guys use? Would also like it to have an accurate digital compas in the watch or regular on the band.
I'm a watch-a-holic and own a box full of them. Matter of fact, Calamity Jane gave me a high speed polished walnut watch box for Christmas a couple of years ago just to keep some of my better time pieces in, with style.

I've got quite a few very expensive watches ... none of them would I consider "survival types." James Bondish ... yes, but not practical survival watches. I would never recommend a Rolex GMT or GMT Master of any of their watches, as survival watches.

My regular watches, the ones that get thrown in a drawer ... some of them include:

Luminox makes an excellent watch, I own three of them. Unfortunately their bands suck. I've had to replace all three of them. The silicone bands are fine, just too small for my wrists. Their velcro bands such though.

I've got a Citizen Eccodrive too ... the Blue Angel version. It's a fine watch, can't complain. Looks good. Not sure it would be a great survival watch but it was worth the $500.00 or so I paid for it.

Those little Coleman watches that you used to be able to get from Walmart in a survival kit for $15.00, the ones made by Timex. They take a lick and keep on ticking. Amazing little watches. If my boy cannot destroy them then that says something. And they keep good time - digital, but that's okay for what they cost.

I've got a couple of Pulsars ... they make excellent watches. Not expensive but built tough and practical.

My choice would be one of my Suuntoes. I've got a Core on right now but I also own an Altimax, a X10 Military and a Vector, which was my first one. I've had these things in some pretty harsh environments. Jumped out of planes with them, dove with them, water and snow skied with them ... beat them up every which kind of way. Once you get one calibrated and you learn how to use it, they are hard to beat.

Now, I invested in a 5:11 Field Ops watch with Sure Shot installed ... and I use it when I go to the range but it is probably not the first watch I would grab. It's solid, it's reliable, but it is so mission specific it looses some of its value in the overall spectrum. I've also got an HRT that is not only a reliable and durable watch, but a good looking watch. You might want to look into one of those.

H3 Tactical makes a good watch too - looks good, is functional. I like Luminox better though - and they are along the same lines.

I used a Casio for years in the military and used it to run many a precise jump or fire mission. Their G-Force line is solid, but their prices have doubled and tripled with their growth in popularity and thus, imho, I believe Suunto is the better value for the dollar.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:17 PM

I bought a Casio Pathfinder 1300T and absolutely love it. I wanted something strong since I went thru 5 watches in 2 years. Since the 1300T is titanium, I decided to drop $200 on it. Other than the fact that Titanium scratches easy, which I really don't care since this is no fashion watch, I am happy.

The watch is charged via solar. I have never had to take that watch off to put it in the sun for charging tho I have heard some people have to do just that. The thermometer is good. It takes about 20 min to get an accurate reading after you take it off. I wish it went below 13 degrees since i camp in cold temps. The barometer is dead on. After syncing it with the weather channel I had no problems. I was a weather nerd growing up so I find it interesting to watch the barometer fall when a storm comes in. The compass says it varies plus or minus 10 deg. Some people complained that variation is too much but unless you are dead reckoning you can nav just fine. The watch updates via the atomic clock. You set it to the correct time zone and at midnight it corrects itself. Being titanium the watch is very light.

My only 2 complaints is the lack of low range on the thermometer and the clasp comes unhinged a little easier than what I like.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Just A Shadow

Thanked 1,295 Times in 317 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I recently picked up a Seiko automatic (self winding) watch for $55 on dealnews. Got one for my wife as well. I got tired of dead batteries in my other watches.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:55 PM

I work in a jewelery store. Been doing this for 35 years. Tag Heuer is the way to go if the shtf. Tough, waterproof or as waterproof as you can get. Not too expensive to fix. they make great automatics and quartz. Like everybody has said...if things are really bad ...I know when I'm hungry. I know when I'm tired. When the sun comes up it"s morning and when it goes down it's night. That's all you need to know. Rolex watches are expensive to repair and don't keep accurate time. I've sold them for years. Trust me...any digital or quartz watch is more accurate. ANY..... Someone mentioned the citizen eco drive. They will go about 10 years before they need CHEAP service. A very good choice...lots of models to chose from and relatively inexpensive.....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to batwing For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,111 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batwing View Post
I work in a jewelery store. Been doing this for 35 years. Tag Heuer is the way to go if the shtf. Tough, waterproof or as waterproof as you can get. Not too expensive to fix. they make great automatics and quartz. Like everybody has said...if things are really bad ...I know when I'm hungry. I know when I'm tired. When the sun comes up it"s morning and when it goes down it's night. That's all you need to know. Rolex watches are expensive to repair and don't keep accurate time. I've sold them for years. Trust me...any digital or quartz watch is more accurate. ANY..... Someone mentioned the citizen eco drive. They will go about 10 years before they need CHEAP service. A very good choice...lots of models to chose from and relatively inexpensive.....

That's what I'm talking about ... didn't want to say Tag Heuer but figured someone would pick-up the James Bond reference. I've got a Legend Chrono and a Forumla 1 Pro that I really like a lot. The Formula 1 Pro is very affordable, the Chrono steps up to the plate a little more. I've always thought the Stainless Diver might be a good value for the dollar too batwing ... it too is on the low end $ wise. I keep telling myself I want one.

You said what I wanted to say about Rolex, word for word, but didn't want to offend any Rolex owners. I've got one and have owned two others and I'll never own another one.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:17 PM
The War to end all Wars

I think of a watch as a tool which broadly has two functions. The first is for navigation where you need absolute accuracy (a skill set I do not have or anticipate getting) and for coordination where a common time is key. To coordinate you will need multiple watches, 1 for you and 1 for each member of your "party". The current US military watch is the 46374G series which is battery powered. Unlike most the user can easily change the battery (buy a couple and stick them in the frig - they will last for years there). Very durable with tritium tube for night use they cost about $175 on Ebay. The slightly older 46374F is a manual wind if you want to avoid EMP issues (about $100 on Ebay). The ability to coordinate activities could be the difference maker in a SHTF situation, also working watches most likely will be a good trade good in that situation. I like old military watches and have a number from WW2, Korea, and Viet Nam eras which is how I combined a prep and a hobby.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:20 PM
The War to end all Wars

FYI - if you need the correct time this is what the Navy posts from their atomic clocks:

http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl
Old 04-23-2010, 06:46 PM

Default Re: The BEST survival watch? Luminox? Day, time, timer, indestructable, auto update?

Try one of these... http://www.nitewatches.com/collections2.asp?watch=MX Just don't get one with a PVD metal strap or your wrist'll look black.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,008 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfen View Post
i have 2 SHTF watches both citzen eco-drive

1)

i wear this one everyday

•Black dial.
•Round stainless steel case.
•Military green leather backed strap.
•Luminous hands.
•Day and date.
•Eco drive - powered by light.
•Water resistant to 100 metres.
I wear this watch too, how has it held up for you since you wear it everyday?

I do pretty much everything with my Citizen Eco-Drive Watch on just like my G-Shocks Watches.

I changed the strap on the Citizen Eco-Drive Watch, and put it on a military style nylon one strap design that will protect your watch from falling on to the ground if one of your watch string bars breaks off doing something with the watch on so you can always keep track of the time if you had to.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Family Always Comes First

Thanked 1,772 Times in 459 Posts

I wear a Timex Hunting timer watch because of it'sfeatures.It tellstime (duh),has the date and day of the week, moon phase, stop watch, countdown timer, alarm, tells the sunrise/sunset times, shows you how many hours of daylight/night time are left from your current time and shows and alerts you to the primary and secondary times of animal activity times (best times you might get animals moving or best fishiing times). It also has back-glo so you can easily read it in the dark.

It's not an expensive watch and you can get them at Walmart for around $60.00, so why not by a spare to put away?

This is the second of these watches that I've owned. The first one lasted about 3 years (with one battery change) before it died. This second one is going on it's third year on the original batteries.

I think watches are tools and I can be rough on them at times. That's why I look at the features first and the price second. I don't want to shell out a lot of money for something that might get torn up from my "normal" everyday activities. Because I often hunt and fish, I really like the features of this watch.

FWIW, I used to have a Casio watch that had a built in, electronic compass, but it never worked well enough for me to trust it with my life. I decided that a button compass on the watch strap was more reliable if I didn't actually have my USGI Compass or one of the Silva Compasses.

Medic73
Old 09-29-2010, 10:13 PM
The War to end all Wars

Medic73, you might want to consider some of the new old stock US military watches. A search on eBay with "marathon watch military" will list some. They are a bit pricey compared to the Timex but will out last them by years. One of the key features is a user replaceable battery. If memory serves me correctly there is a little switch/button you need to press when replacing the battery in a Timex. Miss it and it won't run.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 PM

I have a tough-solar Casio G-Shock, model AWG-101A, it's fantastic and expect it to survive anything. I also have 2 automatics that I consider more fashionable but just as durable, saphire crystal glass and proven movements. I have a Tag Heuer Grand Carrera 17 and Maurice Lacroix Chronographe with valjoux 7750 movement, it's like the remington 870 of automatic watch movements, minimal maintenance and perfect time keeping.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,447 Times in 2,132 Posts

Botach just put the Casio PAW500 on sale for $70:

Casio Pathfinder PAW500 Atomic Solar Watch

Solar powered, altimeter, barometer, thermometer, auto-update... I'm no watch connoisseur, but it doesn't look too bad, and the price is rock bottom.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,008 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
In case of an EMP, all the Casios and the other stuff like that will fail.
Thats the reason why I bought a Rolex Sea Dweller just in case.
During my job I wear a Casio, but when TSHTF a Rolex is the first choice.
Its also great for bartering in an emergency or in an SHTF Scenario.

Just my two cents.

Regards

Joe
You have to keep a Rolex Sea Dweller always moving, or you will lose the time like any automatic.

You are better off getting a cheap automatic you can trust.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarianism 4 All View Post
You have to keep a Rolex Sea Dweller always moving, or you will lose the time like any automatic.

You are better of getting a cheap automatic you can trust.
It's not hard to keep an automatic chugging along with a few nightly manual winds. I alternate between my two automatics on a weekly basis and the one I don't wear gets 5-10 manual winds before I go to sleep and it's enoug to keep it going, the watch I wear gets enough movement from desk diving it doesn't require manual winds. Both my Tag and ML have about 48 hour power reserves.