Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Hunting and Trapping General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-05-2010, 05:07 AM

Advertise Here

I use subsonic ammo. It doesn't seem to scare other squirrels in the area after you fire a shot. Also helps if you missed your first shot.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:31 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

Old 03-16-2010, 07:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,165 Times in 3,077 Posts

I carry a slingshot with me to either shoot stones to the other side of a tree to scare one around or into the bush to push out deer...works...
Old 04-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

I like to use .22 shorts, very quiet and squirrels will start feeding quickly after shooting one out with shorts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to West Kentucky For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2010, 10:02 PM

Working in pairs is a good way to fill your game bag. I was taught to work with my dad. One would walk up into the area ahead of the other and the critters will run around the other side as stated above in the other posts. We just took turns walking ahead. Sorta "leap frogging" in a way it's like walking up birds. We used to carry PB sandwiches wrapped in wax paper.* made good fire starter* we'd some times leave a few bits of sandwich laying around after we got started again on our hunt. funny how when we'd work back thru the same area later in the day, there seemed to be more squirrels there!! Camo is important.
Another thing. Might want to see about using CB caps if noise is a problem in the area where your hunting. With a clear shot , they have enough punch for head shots to drop them , yet are about as loud as a good hard hand clap. They do work best in either pump or bolt action weapons tho.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:16 PM
I like turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelhunter View Post
Working in pairs is a good way to fill your game bag. I was taught to work with my dad. One would walk up into the area ahead of the other and the critters will run around the other side as stated above in the other posts. We just took turns walking ahead. Sorta "leap frogging" in a way it's like walking up birds. We used to carry PB sandwiches wrapped in wax paper.* made good fire starter* we'd some times leave a few bits of sandwich laying around after we got started again on our hunt. funny how when we'd work back thru the same area later in the day, there seemed to be more squirrels there!! Camo is important.
Another thing. Might want to see about using CB caps if noise is a problem in the area where your hunting. With a clear shot , they have enough punch for head shots to drop them , yet are about as loud as a good hard hand clap. They do work best in either pump or bolt action weapons tho.
Yeah, WHATEVER, what would a guy named "squirrelhunter" know about SQUIRREL hunting?

Old 04-22-2010, 07:13 AM
You got to love it!

h3ll, I just feed'em up in my yard. In a SHTF I have a meat source...for a while. That is if the neighbors don't harvest many.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 3,608 Times in 1,708 Posts

take a 5gallon bucket fill 3/4 of the way full with water and sit it in the sun near a known squirrel habitat, they get curious from seeing the suns reflection off the water ,fall in and drowned.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Psalm 150:6

Default Re: Secret Squirrel hunting tricks

Sitting a while works. They just have to know what your up to!
Old 04-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 55,185 Times in 16,847 Posts
Default Re: Secret Squirrel hunting tricks

Squirel hunting is my favorite type of hunting, I like to sit under some beech trees with a .22 with shorts or with my air riflel, I usually get 2-3 and go.

Just listen and watch.

Every time I deer hunt I see all kinds of squirels, turkey and everything else, when I squirel hunt I see deer & turkey like crazy.....just my luck
Old 05-07-2010, 07:47 AM

Rat trap. Bait = peanut butter + some bird seed

Rat trap can be mounted on a tree trunk, fence line, whatever.
They're not too scared if it smells like "people" as opposed to some critters that would require the trap to "air out" a bit before it became tempting.

I wouldn't repeatedly re-trap the same area for a little while - these little buggers may become wary of a known kill zone for a period of time if you do.
The Following User Says Thank You to tarditi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 08:26 AM

Now you are thinkin...lincoln
Old 05-31-2010, 09:14 AM

The best way to hunt them is to attract them with some sunflower seeds.It often works = )
Old 06-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Watching

My grandfather taught me this trick many years ago. If you're just looking for a single meal, and you know of an active nest, camp out near it until dusk, as a squirrel will always find his way home before it gets dark. Saved me from going home empty handed, many a time.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:35 PM

Like tarditi said, a couple of these oughta do the trick...Just got some at home depot for about $2 each (around 4 minute mark)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaseyG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Semper Survive

oh man season starts in 10 days in NY! Can't wait! great tips, gonna take my new dog who has insane prey drive and a nack for treeing out for the first live hunt .... hope we get some tree rats!
Old 08-22-2010, 10:52 PM

I remember when, ... we would pack us a lunch, ... anything you could cook on a fire, ... toasted cheese was great, and hot-dogs wraped in dough or bisquit was great!

By the time we had the fire ready the squrils were there and dead.

And they kept comming, ... untill we were done eating and hunting, .... it was too easy.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:58 PM

Oh shoot, I was suposed to say, ... We sprinkle pepper on a rock and wait till the squril walks up and smells the pepper thereby sneezing and knocking itself out on the rock, ... collect unconcious squril.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daval View Post
Oh shoot, I was suposed to say, ... We sprinkle pepper on a rock and wait till the squril walks up and smells the pepper thereby sneezing and knocking itself out on the rock, ... collect unconcious squril.
Now i need to see a video of this working, it seems too hilarious to be effective.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:08 PM
nec aspera terrent

Wear camo, head And body, carry in a pocket a blaze orange cap. If you cant find squirrel hang cap on bush go to other side of tree throw rock or stick to side with orange cap, squirrel comes to your side of tree. Shoot squirrel.