Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 02-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Recent Blog:
Trapper

Advertise Here

If you use a propane cook stove or propane anything, be very careful in cold weather. While building my house, I built a treehouse to live in. No heat, water, etc....I was in there 1 1/2 years & went through 2 winters. I used the stove to cook + add a little heat in the place when bitterly cold....if it gets too cold, the propane will come out like baby powder....Don't try to light it! I learned the stupid & hard way & damn near blew the place and mysef up.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,417 Times in 817 Posts

How about some of the 18 hr chemical body warmers. They are about 1.94 each from Walmart. Cheap Temporary fix could get you through the night. If you go with any of the others I would have a carbon monoxide and fire alarm. You want to make sure you wake up in the morning.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:20 PM

Honestly living in an apartment with no power? You are better getting a tent and going outside. If you are warm, what is to prevent some idiot from setting the building on fire while trying to build a fire in the oven?

To be honest, YOUR CAR WITH LOTS OF BLANKETS and warm clothes. Because if you do sleep and somebody else sets the fire are you ready?
Old 02-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Christian Survivalist

Thanked 1,481 Times in 859 Posts

I got the HeatMate heater for my apartment. I put it through the test and I really like mine ....

Link: http://www.readypro.biz/heat-mate-al...amp-stove.html
Old 02-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Doingahardnickel

Thanked 5,456 Times in 2,142 Posts

THe power went out for 16 hours last winter when the temp was around 5 degrees. I lit about 6 candles in one room and kept the door shut, surprisingly the room didn't get that cold. I laid in bed with a few extra blankets on me and listened to the radio. was a nice relaxing night. Kerosene heaters do work well, but must be vented from time to time i think.
The Following User Says Thank You to rabehning For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2010, 06:16 PM

You have a gas heater, but no electricity. There is a shutoff valve at the heater. Turn off the gas, run flexible tubing to an appropriate portable heater. Do not attempt this unless you have basic DIY skills and the appropriate fittings and connectors.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,208 Times in 2,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
Just remember what ever you do make sure there is plenty ventilation. To easy to suffocate or poison yourself with this type of situation.

EVERY year we have news reports of families who have died in these circumstances...be very, very careful.
The Following User Says Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Wasteland Wanderer

Insulate! Get yourself into the smallest comfortable room, and block the drafts while allowing air to come in if you get stuffy. Lots of blankets, and even those foil emergency blankets are a good idea. Sleeping bags are a good investment that can even be used as a duvet when not used as a sleeping bag.

If you are getting very cold, it might be time to try to seek out emergency aid. I know this might be contrary to the survivalist mentality we see on this site, but if it's very localized, there might be "warming centers" set up in community buildings nearby.

You do have a battery powered radio and winter outdoors gear, right?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biltong View Post
How about some of the 18 hr chemical body warmers. They are about 1.94 each from Walmart. Cheap Temporary fix could get you through the night. If you go with any of the others I would have a carbon monoxide and fire alarm. You want to make sure you wake up in the morning.
Lets face it, no heat for 24 hours or so is not a problem.

This is the best advice I can think of.

Hell, you could heat rocks or steel outside on a BBQ grill and bring them inside.

My father told me a story about building a fire in a cave when he was a boy.

Seems that he and my uncle was with a couple of old ranch hands rounding up cattle when a storm caught them in the open.

The old men went to a cave they knew of and built a fire inside.

They took stones and made two lines about a foot apart from the cave entrance and to the fire pit inside.

They then lay flat stones on top of the two lines of stones, there by creating a channel from the entrance to the fire pit.

Once the fire was lit, the channel sucked fresh air in toward the fire pit and the smoke went out along the roof of the cave as petty as you please.

Keep this in mind if you are stuck without heat for a long period of time.

You might build a soil base on a table next to a window and let the smoke go out the top of the window as air is let in the bottom half of the window.

later
wayne
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HaroldWayneHamlin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronck View Post
During this crazy snow storm in the Northeast (Philadelphia Area) I had the lights flicker a few times, with the lows were in the teens and windy, and a few feet of snow already.

I live in an apartment complex with gas heat with an electric blower, electric stove, and no fireplace or woodstove. It got me thinking that if I had to heat my apartment, even just one room, how could I do it?
Great question! Today I bought a new Mr. Heater Big Buddy for $99. Now need to score a 20 gal propane tank & hose.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Fisherman

Set up your tent inside, light a candle in the tent if nessisary.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trotline For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Survival Actual

Thanked 11,499 Times in 2,831 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Be careful which heat type you choose, especially if you have pets or small children. Take that into consideration when you make your purchase.....

Heat buddy, or kerosene heaters would be the two best choices. Both put out a lot of heat efficiently and can be stored, however the kerosene heater might stink if you store it in a closet or small room until needed. I like the heat buddy idea myself.

BEFORE STORING the propane heater, disconnect the cylinder and put soapy water around the fittings to check for leaks...

Good luck sir.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Dust of the Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotline View Post
Set up your tent inside, light a candle in the tent if nessisary.
The best advise given yet.

Set up a tent, make one out of blankets, tarps, trash bags and tape if you have to. In a home with multiple people and or pets, just use a small interior room or closet. The less space you have, the easier it is to heat. Candles inside coffee cans are ideal but any old food can will work. As will heating up stones, bricks, cinder blocks. Be very careful your heat source isn't going to start a fire and you'll be fine. Even with your "tent" or enclosed area it still benefits you to keep the rest of your space as warm as possible. For the same reason you have a storm door on your house. Enclosed layers of space increase your insulation. So cover the windows and doors with blankets at night. Let as much sun in as possible during the day.

People die around here every year from using kerosene, propane, or even their gas ovens for heat. Paraffin candles aren't great for your health, but they aren't gonna asphyxiate you.
The Following User Says Thank You to blackwolf911 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Prepared

Myself I'm not a fan of open flames.... well they do keep me employed, I'm a fire LT. Those small propane heaters mentioned above are what I have,along with gas fireplace etc..

Forget the outdoor grill thing ok ? Except to cook outdoors. In my city you can not have grills with in 10 feet of a structure. Others put them on fire escapes ... that will get you a visit from fire saftey and call to your landlord right then and there.

20 pound propane tanks indoors will be removed by us anytime we see them.

There is a good chance kerosene heaters are against code if you live in a city and your lease also may prevent this . Hey you can take a chance. Your chance of getting caught is slight at best.

The best post so far is the one above . Although I'm not big on candles and certinly not inside a tent with sleeping bags and so forth .
The Following User Says Thank You to third pig For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2010, 09:06 PM

An alternative to the Mr. Buddy heaters is a Zodi Hot Vent. The whole burner assembly can live on your patio/balcony and you can just run the hoses in through the door. You will need a 12v battery to run the fan and have some way to insulate the opening you stuff the hose(s) through but, with a little forethought, you can get your room warm without having to worry about burning the place down or suffocating on CO.

We use one in our popup and it works well. It can also be adapted to run a hot water tap/shower or a stove.

YMMV
Old 02-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Freeman on the land

You could also keep a few cans of Sterno Gel around the house.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:22 PM

There are gas heating systems that require no power once lit. The power was out in my area for a few days but the gas heaters kept on going.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,988 Times in 3,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootFenster View Post
You have a gas heater, but no electricity. There is a shutoff valve at the heater. Turn off the gas, run flexible tubing to an appropriate portable heater. Do not attempt this unless you have basic DIY skills and the appropriate fittings and connectors.
Don't go messing around with gas lines unless you are fully trained! Put on some warm socks, your coat, and get a couple "hot water bottles" for the bed. Folks die every year from DIY heating accidents.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Bleach blonde on fire :p

Thanked 9,445 Times in 3,792 Posts

With such a small space you can use a kerosene heater. Burn the heater only in short bursts to save fuel, heat up the room then turn off for a while. Cover all windows and doorways with blankets to seal in the heat and to block out any drafts. Stay in the smallest room you can so that it takes less effort to heat and it stays warmer longer. Make sure you leave a small crack in a window or door to let in fresh air, remember to close it when you turn the heater off so you don't loose bought air.

You can make a candle heater like the one below, they work well for small spaces. We made a few of them and gave them to a group of homeless, they like them.

http://heatstick.com/_KanHeet01.htm
Attached Thumbnails
K-H 008 CROP CUTOUT 2009 Res Web Hi.jpg   KH 025 Cutout_2009 Res Web Hi.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to rncmomx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Doingahardnickel

Thanked 5,456 Times in 2,142 Posts

there are so many good ideas on here. One thing people need to think about is short term vs long term. I remember when canada had the ice storm a few years ago and people were out power for a long time and were down to burning there furniture to stay warm. Whatever you decide to do think hard about it. Many people reccommend very complex things and you need to take great care. Finding a long term solution if things get bad is very important. Having many extra blankets, lots of winter clothes, an artic sleeping bag, simple things along that line for long term survival. You already have shelter, so you have that going for you. You may need to save all the mr. buddy tanks for cooking your food. I keep telling folks to go out and winter camp for a few days to get the feel of being without. Don't take everything with you. Just a tent, sleeping bags, and enough food to get through the weekend. Bring things with you to melt snow to get water. Just basically a test drive to see how you will react. I don't know it all, but i have winter camped a few times, purposely being far away from home that it was more of a burden to tramp back through the snow, then staying overnight and waiting for the warmth of the sun. You need to see how you are going to react when the shtf to be fully prepared for it. you can sit back and try to be totally prepared, but untill you put yourself through suffering for a few days in the elements you never really know what it is going to be like. I have traveled the country on a motorcycle and i will tell you what, the road is a hard place, dealing with the elements everyday. So everyone please try to go without a couple days a month. If you live in an apartment, turn the heater down to the lowest setting and deal with it. challenge yourself once in awhile, it will make you stronger. Try to walk to a friends house on the coldest night, what ever it takes to make you mentally prepared. If hard times are coming even the most prepared person isn't really mentally prepared for it, we all have a long way to go to know what true suffering is like. Take a look at a few folks over in africa, no water, food, medicine, basically nothing and we complain when the internet goes out for a few hours. I don't want to sound all high and mighty. I'm not fully prepared myself and need to start challenging myself more often also. i just keep hoping it doesn't come to a shtf situation.