How to make a secure home for bugging in? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gather around the campfire OR Never step on the Butterflies MayDay Books, Movies & Stories 210 05-19-2017 03:15 PM
If your plan is to bug in, better make your home really Secure. Hick Industries Urban Survival 121 04-23-2017 08:21 PM
Looking to make a home of Texas! COharbinger Texas 68 04-02-2017 08:54 AM
Prep List Squid770 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 25 11-14-2016 06:40 PM
New to preping and totally lost where/and how to start reaper420 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 58 10-28-2016 06:57 AM

Old 11-25-2016, 01:39 PM
Resident Plinker

Default How to make a secure home for bugging in?

Advertise Here

My plan is to become as self sufficient as I can, and I'm already growing crops and I'm working on getting chickens and turkeys. My plan in a disaster is to bug in with my family and try to keep ourselves safe.

How would you make a secure home?

What materials would you recommend building out of?
I'm thinking a brick house would be a good way to go, but I'm open to recommendations obviously

What kind of security can I add to the front and back doors?
I've heard that longer screws and heavier doors help, but is there more?

What kind of security can I add to interior doors?
I want to have a room for all of my guns/ammo, including workbenches for firearms maintenance and I want to ensure that this room is as secure as possible, and would like the other doors to be as well

What kind of security can I add to windows?
I've seen a setup where you have mounts to place bars across your windows if you ever need to, is that a good idea?

What can I do to make walls more bullet resistant?
Related to that, would brick walls be secure enough against bullets?

Thank you in advance for any help, I just want to keep me and mine safe to the best of my abilities
*Edited, to make it more clear that this was about building a secure home and not reinforcing an existing home
The Following User Says Thank You to David Bevis For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bevis View Post
My plan is to become as self sufficient as I can, and I'm already growing crops and I'm working on getting chickens and turkeys. My plan in a disaster is to bug in with my family and try to keep ourselves safe.

How would you make a secure home?

What materials would you recommend building out of?
I'm thinking a brick house would be a good way to go, but I'm open to recommendations obviously

What kind of security can I add to the front and back doors?
I've heard that longer screws and heavier doors help, but is there more?

What kind of security can I add to interior doors?
I want to have a room for all of my guns/ammo, including workbenches for firearms maintenance and I want to ensure that this room is as secure as possible, and would like the other doors to be as well

What kind of security can I add to windows?
I've seen a setup where you have mounts to place bars across your windows if you ever need to, is that a good idea?

Thank you in advance for any help, I just want to keep me and mine safe to the best of my abilities
*Edited, to make it more clear that this was about building a secure home and not reinforcing an existing home

There are a lot of things one could do. A good defense is a good offense. I wouldn't put bars on your windows(screams "I have something, and I don't want you in), make it look from the outside like your home is no different than before. I have some 2x4 in various window/door frame widths of my house. Drove screws and nails through the middle of it leaving the ends of each plank exposed so I can zip/fasten them to doorframes/windows on the inside. Deadbolts are good, lots of them. High and low. Heavy doors are good and so are long screws. If you hear about the unrest coming take some boards and place them under your windows covered in leaves/lawn clippings. Would be burglars/rioters might step on them as they bang on your windows.

How well have you scoped out your surrounding land? Depending on the circumstances, I'd be willing to cut trees down blocking access to my road if need be. Is there high ground nearby? Are they points of entry you can use as vectors for fire? Are there thorn bushes surrounding you? Are there rock walls? Open fields? The layout of the fight is to your advantage. Use it. The area is not contested, you hold control now. Take the steps to know the ambush points you could set up at entry/exit points around your house. Knowing your battleground is half the battle.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zookini For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2016, 03:20 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bevis View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSqdTLLZBWw

Youtube search "military shooting test 1/3" if the link fails. The military did some testing in 2006 on conceal vs cover. After the initial intro, they were a "just the facts" videos with lots of scenarios.

Link from SB regarding these videos (I think) Older link though, not trying to necro it.
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=171555

Real eye opener.

Wub
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wubboy For This Useful Post:

Old 11-25-2016, 04:16 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,454 Times in 597 Posts

For the walls, I would only consider concrete block filled with rebar and concrete. Brick facade will be easy to knock off--hollow concrete block will also be penetrated.

Steel doors, solid core, inside and out, with steel frames, double dead bolts, and long screws. are probably the best for doors.

For the interior room, concrete--poured and with a concrete roof (gong to be thinner, because of weight--might consider domed for strength). Door, a safe door, with frame fixed as part of the pouring of the concrete. The other question is a potential safe escape route by a tunnel out thru a trap door in the hardened floor--to some remote place which is well concealed.

Windows are a problem. If you want glass windows, consider hurricane proof windows like Pella make. These have laminated films to make them shatter resistant, but a bullet will still pass thru. Even Lexan is not "Bullet Proof". Steel shutters are potential, but would be difficult to store, and work into the decor!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thataway For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2016, 05:24 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 54,259 Times in 7,473 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

A collection of several of my posts on prepper homes, bunkers, and fortifications. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Just my opinion.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A collection of several of my posts on prepper homes.pdf (462.2 KB, 197 views)
Old 11-25-2016, 07:01 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
A collection of several of my posts on prepper homes, bunkers, and fortifications. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Just my opinion.
It is nice when you put them in a collection for me. ;-)

Thank you!

Wub
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wubboy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2016, 08:12 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 12,794 Times in 5,552 Posts

The gubernment has rockets, bunker buster bombs and the means to deliver them. They also have manufactured germs and other nasty stuff so better equip your underground hardened structure with really good air and water filtration.

Good for you growing food. Look into hunting, fishing and foraging skills so you can still eat after they take your land away for back taxes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 08:27 AM

Charlie brings up a great point. I have fears of civilians but more afraid of government confiscation. Pretty hard for average person to go up against a 105mm. So I do what I can and read articles such as these. I have all sniper position out to 1000 yds already mapped and zeroed. Nothing I can do about an air strike. It will be in God's hands.
The Following User Says Thank You to Captbubba For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 09:04 AM
Resident Plinker

What I've gathered so far is

Concrete block filled with concrete and rebar for the walls and metal roof

Steel doors, solid cores, steel frames, longer screws, and double deadbolts.

I've read on another post here that the deadbolts should be positioned with one near the top and one near the bottom to give optimum strength, is that true?

Kitchen and living room connected and in an "open" style with fireplace in living room for easy heating of those two rooms when needed, bathroom connected to living room also.

All water lines should have a shut off valve below the fixture they feed so I still have water in the rest of the house while repairing one of the fixtures.

Multiple exits in case of fire or other emergency.
I'm thinking front door, back door, and side door through attached garage?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Bevis For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 09:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,418 Posts

I'd forego on blocks and look at ICF with a brick exterior...blocks explode.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DWwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 09:27 AM

my first home was adobe ( not good in a wet climate) but according to "Earthbuider" magazine was able to stop a 7.62 x 51..according to bullet penetration test from Nicaragua..my next home was ICF, insulated concrete forms, foam block stacked like leggo blocks and pumped full of concrete. Either of this would have made a excellent bug in house but for the fact they had too many ground floor windows.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bubbagoes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Hiker

Attacked w/ fire?

Think about your roof materials.

Think about your (multiple) escape routes so your are not trapped inside your fortress by your building reinforcements or those pointing weapons at you from outside.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KittySlayer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 09:57 AM

First thing i thougt about our house was the scenario where we have to open fire inside in case the enemy makes it inside. What is the best cover for kids? Where to retreat? We have a huge oven inside the living room, that has this space on top of it. It is optimal cover, with sevel tons of stone stopping intruders bullets, and still be able to fire at the door or windows.

I am also considering of getting sandbags inside, somewhere they can be easily deployed as fire cover. We live in rural area, so it is anyway unlikely that anyone could sneak near our house without noticing. Several dogs, and 24/7 aware residerns make a good change of spotting dangers before they get too close. We train not to go on "autopilot" at any time of day. Always being aware of surroundings, has something changed and so on.

I am also thinking of bying this material used to make car windows darker. If the **** starts flying, i would put it on windows. It is dark enough so you can't see candles or other dimmer lights from outside, but still be able to see enough from inside to regocnize threats and so on.

Also thinking of getting some steel plates to be stacked somewhere out of sight, and if needed, to be put against the walls to provide more cover.

Gas masks are also a must when bugging in..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NilsV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 10:08 AM
King of Canada

Thanked 5,855 Times in 1,847 Posts

I bought a Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff), as a companion and guardian for my family.

He's just a 12 week old puppy now, but he's taking well to the commands that I've been teaching.

Security, in layers.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HeavyHauler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 10:12 AM
Hunter

If you start with a Monolithic Dome, you can add windows with security screens - that rollup when not needed, some good outside doors. I would try to build it so it is not obvious from the street. Some type of hedge or groundcover that has lots of thorns and long ropy vines. Walls around small courtyards before the entry doors. You need some large dogs outside and/or little ones to alert you.
The best defense is not being obvious and be out of sight from any bad guys.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rt66paul For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 12:03 PM
Hiker

A lot of silly answers here. What/who are you protecting yourself against? Why would you be targeted by some unknown assailant and not your neighbor? What are their capabilities?

There is no one solution that will protect you from everything. Step out of the paranoia and think long and hard about what you are protecting yourself from, and why. How much of this problem exists in reality, and how much exists between your ears? What sort of budget do you have to work with (I noted your age, which shows your experience and knowledge level) and how long do you have to achieve your goals?
What are your goals? Do you ever anticipate leaving your home or selling it? Would you be able to sell this home to anyone other than you? Does the market even want a home that is so inconvenient to live in?

Before you go off spending a lot of resources, make sure you understand the problem a whole lot better.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CarlMc For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 01:07 PM

Default Secure bug in upgrades

Steel plates, and more steel plates disguised as plywood paneling to place over windows and below windows to offer protection while sniping the enemy through your gun ports in the steel plates. Make your place look as "non-bugout" as possible, so they don't become too suspicious and alert.

Build a concrete and steel underground room with a concealed trap door for sleeping and last refuge. I suggest the trap door stairs lead to a small room that the bad guys can enter and not know you are in the adjoining room with gun ports through the concrete walls, but not through the paneling in the room the bad guys can enter. If they enter, you can shoot through the paneling. Place gun ports head, chest, knee and 6" off the floor high. Use battery powered concealed cameras to see who's there and when they're dead. Replace the cheap paneling for the next gang. I suggest a heavy steel door into your family bedroom/safe room with rods attached to the back of the same kind of paneling, so you can slide the paneling away from the door, enter and then pull the paneling into place with the rods, so it looks like they are in a simple, cheap paneled bedroom with no indication there is a door behind the paneling. Furnish the fire zone room to look like a simple bug-out room and even add a couple non-functioning firearms on the wall for them to look at when you shoot them. Add secret escape routes and air supply tubes underground, preferably emerging into an innocuous looking yard building that has no real doors or windows, only more gun ports and stocked with more supplies/ammo. Position the building to be able to kill all the marauders from these 2 locations so there won't be anyone left to come back to use more sophisticated means to take your home. Remember, bad guys are much smarter when they return than when they arrive the first time.

Last edited by JohnGlock; 11-27-2016 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: clarify
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnGlock For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 01:18 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 5,739 Times in 1,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
The gubernment has rockets, bunker buster bombs and the means to deliver them.
People who are worth dropping a bunker buster on probably aren't asking survivalistboards.com for security info.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 02:06 PM

Watch videos of SWAT teams making entry (or breaching techniques used by the military). that will give you some ideas of what to fortify against. But keep in mind that a well equipped, trained and motivated opponent WILL get into whatever fortification that the average person is going to be able to build.
The Following User Says Thank You to 440volt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2016, 04:17 PM

And I just ordered an additional door lock for my front door. Living in the suburbs in my area (San Jose, CA) for over 12 years (always has been a low-crime area) we're experiencing more crime. Auto and home break-ins. People are driving around casing homes. They tend to just kick the front door in. Video cameras and alarm systems don't deter them as they just cover their faces. The front door frame is generally the weak point. So I ordered an interior lock that screws in deeper into the wood past the door frame. I also have a Ring door bell and Stick Up cam. I keep guns secured in two different rooms (pistol by the bed in a secured handgun safe, and an AR & other rifes in a gun cabinet in my home office). Oh well, that's my little start. lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Holdfast For This Useful Post: