Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > The Tech Zone
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 12-11-2009, 07:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,208 Times in 727 Posts
Default Fax doesn't work on VOIP

Advertise Here

I have a fax/printer machine. I also have VOIP phone service, that is, phone that goes over the internet. When I had a regular land line my fax worked. No that I have VOIP my fax doesn't work.

I have an HP all-in-one fax/scanner/inkjet printer. Are there special settings on my fax I have to do? It seems like it doesn't even get a dial tone when faxing, even though the fax is hooked to the phone line box. (There's a special model that the phone hooks to before going out the wall on a cable.)

Oh, this is for Comcast. I could call them but I hear their service is awful.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Forever Vigilant

Thanked 4,084 Times in 1,256 Posts

Instead of directly faxing your document, scan the doc into the computer, then "Fax" it over the internet. With the proper software (I am sure it is part of your privacy invading HP software that came with the all-in-one) you can do this without the scan, your computer just becomes the throughput device between your HP and the receivers Fax machine. I have been doing it this way for 8 years.

You should also be able to "receive" incoming faxes on your computer's desktop with the same software.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:46 AM
Big,Hairy and Smelly

I could fax when I had Time Warner digital phone, but I couldn't do more than 4 or 5 pages at one time.I just scan and convert to .pdf files and email now.Thats what a lot of people do now.Weird that you aren't even getting a dial tone though,
Old 12-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,029 Times in 2,877 Posts

You need to call your provider. Each company is different. I have Shaw VOIP and have used other companies before with VOIP. I always check with them before signing up to make sure that both fax and alarm systems work with their service.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
I have a fax/printer machine. I also have VOIP phone service, that is, phone that goes over the internet. When I had a regular land line my fax worked. No that I have VOIP my fax doesn't work.

I have an HP all-in-one fax/scanner/inkjet printer. Are there special settings on my fax I have to do? It seems like it doesn't even get a dial tone when faxing, even though the fax is hooked to the phone line box. (There's a special model that the phone hooks to before going out the wall on a cable.)

Oh, this is for Comcast. I could call them but I hear their service is awful.

Thanks.
The reason is Bandwidth. The Digital phone provider giving you Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) limits the bandwidth (BW) to just the minimum for their optimization requirements. You can call the provider and get more BW but in most cases they want you to add a second line (Because their business case then justify's the BW being paid for that way), or will charge a small additional fee for the wider bw, for your fax machine. Some other systems can experience this same problem like DVR's or Sat Boxes that need to reach back to the programing center via phone for On Demand services such as PPV or programing updates. The Service provider can increase the VoIP Box BW sometimes over the internet or have you access the device and enter a code to open the other channel. Either way reach out to your VoIP provider and discuss it with their technical staff.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,208 Times in 727 Posts

I don't use the fax that much so it's not worth it to pay more, when I send a fax just once per year.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:13 AM
Spooky

Thanked 1,425 Times in 644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManGlitch View Post
The reason is Bandwidth. The Digital phone provider giving you Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) limits the bandwidth (BW) to just the minimum for their optimization requirements.
What he said. If the voice is processed and compressed at all (very likely) then the fax signal will be corrupted. In general fax can only be sent over an analog connection, not a digital one.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:11 PM

Facsimile is dead, long live the facsimile. When anything goes obsolete just ad "e" or an "i" to the front of it.

E-VHS
E-FAX
E-PHONE
Old 05-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Yes, I am an *******

When I was looking at magic jack for VOIP, I was told that to fax you need to set your fax to the lowest tranmission speed and that should do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colodak For This Useful Post: