Survivalist Forum banner

Whey Protein? Perfect survival food?

25K views 54 replies 30 participants last post by  Offrink 
#1 ·
Whey protein is high is vitamin and protein.

It comes in a sealed container and would probably last several years if not a decade or two if stored under optimal conditions.

I imaging you could mix it with dehydrated milk and add some water and have a decent drink.

What do you think?

#2 ·
yep, thrown in some wild berries or some sort of fruit to up the carb just a bit to make it a good overall nutritional drink. Or just drink it for the protein, which will help rebuild muscle. I have added powdered milk to protein powder before and it works just fine.

The stuff stores pretty well, remember that most of that stuff will sit in warehouses for months before it is even put on a shelve at the local retailer. I don't think I have ever had any of it go "bad".

#9 ·
I use it almost daily. Not crazy about the taste but it's OK. I mix it into a yogurt drink almost every morning. It's great for building or maintaining muscle mass. It's an expensive item but a very useful one health wise.
Lots of bang for your buck.

Look here for whey facts:
http://www.wheyoflife.org/faq.cfm
Physical Performance
Whey protein has long been considered the "Gold Standard" of protein for serious athletes who work hard to develop and sustain a lean, strong and well-defined physique. Research studies support this belief. Athletes need more protein in their diet, often as much as twice the recommended daily allowance. The protein they choose makes a difference and here are several reasons why whey protein is a preferred choice for athletes of all types.
  • Whey protein is a naturally complete protein, meaning that it contains all of the essential amino acids required in the daily diet. It has the ideal combination of amino acids to help improve body composition and enhance athletic performance.
  • Whey protein is a rich source of branched chain amino acids (BCAAs), containing the highest known levels of any natural food source. BCAAs are important for athletes since unlike the other essential amino acids, they are metabolized directly into muscle tissue and are the first ones used during periods of exercise and resistance training. Whey protein provides the body with BCAAs to replenish depleted levels and start repairing and rebuilding lean muscle tissue.
  • Whey protein is an excellent source of the essential amino acid, leucine. Leucine is important for athletes as it plays a key role in promoting muscle protein synthesis and muscle growth. Research has shown that individuals who exercise benefit from diets high in leucine and have more lean muscle tissue and less body fat compared to individuals whose diet contains lower levels of leucine. Whey protein isolate has approximately 50% more leucine than soy protein isolate.
  • Whey protein is a soluble, easy to digest protein and is efficiently absorbed into the body. It is often referred to as a "fast" protein for its ability to quickly provide nourishment to muscles.
  • Whey protein helps athletes maintain a healthy immune system by increasing the levels of glutathione in the body. Glutathione is an anti-oxidant required for a healthy immune system and exercise and resistance training may reduce glutathione levels. Whey protein helps keep athletes healthy and strong to perform their best.

#11 ·
The bodybuilding.com store is a good place. They have their own brand called Higher Power protein powder which is a good deal.

There is a place that will custom formulate a protein powder to your exact needs, it's proteinfactory.com. They have a custom protein lab section to where you can customize what types of protein are added to the final product and you can decide how many pounds of it you want. You can also add amino acids, creatine, etc. to the powder when customizing.

#14 ·
Not a bad idea at all, and the stuff does taste pretty good, IMO.

A couple of other cheap, easy to store sources of protein are split peas and lentils.

But as far as it being the "perfect survival food," you also need to make some provision for having a storable source of fat to go with it. A person can get into some major trouble in the long run if they have plenty of protein but not enough fat in their diet. It's called "rabbit starvation," and was common in times past in the northcountry where people had nothing but lean meat to eat for periods of time in the winter. After awhile without fat, the body is no longer able to metabolize the nutrients in the food you are eating, and you get diarrhea, weakness and eventually, if no fat is added to the mix, death. Just something to keep in mind

#35 ·
But as far as it being the "perfect survival food," you also need to make some provision for having a storable source of fat to go with it. A person can get into some major trouble in the long run if they have plenty of protein but not enough fat in their diet. It's called "rabbit starvation," and was common in times past in the northcountry where people had nothing but lean meat to eat for periods of time in the winter. After awhile without fat, the body is no longer able to metabolize the nutrients in the food you are eating, and you get diarrhea, weakness and eventually, if no fat is added to the mix, death. Just something to keep in mind
Store a few bottles of olive or flaxseed oil. Well, any kind of oil will do, but I prefer those because they're what I use anyway. Two or three tablespoons a day will meet your minimum fat requirements if you're not getting it from any other source.

As for protein powder and other supplements, I buy mine here: www.netrition.com

#16 ·
This is a pretty good idea. I have used whey protein in the past with decent results. I mixed it with ice cream in a blender to make a shake. Two issues. If you’re going to use this as some sort of sustainment, make sure you get plain whey protein, not some sort crazy creatine mix. Not good for you overall, even worse if you are suffering from malnutrition. Otherwise, the only thing you have to worry about is keeping it dry – that’s about the only thing that would make it spoil.

#22 ·
I drink 4 protein shakes a day in between regular meals but one thing I see a lot of people doing is after there done shaking, stirring, blending they immediately start drinking it. Hmmm well, I don't know about y'all but when I do that I get a bad case of the farts and it feels like my stomachs going to explode. Reason for this (and it does say it on the instruction label) is you need to let it oxygenate, let it sit for a couple of minutes and let all the air bubbles float to the top and escape, then you can spoon it out and commence drinking.

Just a little advice from you friendly neighborhood protein drinker.

DRIVE ON B----OUT

#30 ·
Whey is great, I make an oatmeal, strawberry, and whey shake every morning for breakfast.

But whey is a fast digesting protein. In a purely survival situation, you would be best served to mix your whey with a casein protein like milk, or powdered milk. That would provide a longer sustaining protein source.

#37 ·
I see a lot of people recommending whey protein.
If you want something better and something that absorbs better and with more quality protein then you want protein isolate.
It is more expensive but it absorbs better in your body and helps me recover way better than just whey protein. You also need to mix a heck of a lot less powder using whey isolate.
In terms of storage, it takes us less space and you get more from each scoop.

#41 ·
Check out this link to see what this guy says about the differences between Whey Protein vs Protein Isolate.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/protein/whey-protein-isolate-concentrate.htm

"Whey protein isolate is the highest yield of protein currently available, and it comes from milk."

This guy says he doesn't think it's worth the few extra bucks for the isolate but I disagree. I think it's well worth it for the recovery benefit I get. Now this may not mean much to you if you're using it for survival type food supplement. It still would be my choice over regular whey in survival scenarios.

I take Sci Fit 100% Whey Isolate -Ice Cream Banana Flavor (Watch out most of the other flavors taste horrible!)
I buy it from a local store (not GNC) for $33 for 3lbs. (I haven't found it cheaper on the net but it is around that price anyways.)
It lasts me a month of taking 2 scoops twice every day.

#45 ·
Is it a 'Perfect survival food'?

You could buy some now, and store it in a closet, maybe for years even.

I will say the same thing that I say about MREs. Are you currently making MREs? Do you propose that Post-SHTF you will then suddenly begin to making MREs? After you have eaten your last MRE, then what do you propose to eat?

This thread is about 'Whey Protein' powder. Are you currently making Whey Protein powder? Do you propose that Post-SHTF you will then suddenly begin to making Whey Protein powder? After you have eaten you last spoonful of Whey Protein powder, then what do you propose to eat?

I advocate for everyone to become gardeners. Produce your own food.

#47 ·
I have like 3 of the 2 pound jugs stored up and I am currently using (over halfway gone) another. It's chocolate flavor and it reminds me a lot of a malted milkshake. I figured in an absolute crap scenario where we can't get meat, one scoop per day per person would at least keep us going in addition to the other food stores we have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.