Survivalist Forum banner

Protein Powder (whey)

15K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  Mama Bear 
#1 ·
I was just curious if anyone has powdered whey in their inventory (particularly for a BOB).

I was thinking of taking some of my powder and making about 30-10 gram servings and putting them in individual snack-size plastic bags. They wouldn't take up much space at all, and would add virtually no weight to a pack. In an emergency situation 1-2 shakes a day would probably be enough protein to keep someone going until they are able to find another protein source.

Obviously the person would still need carbs in their diet, but natural carbs are much easier to find than protein...
Also, this would take a bit of water to make a shake, but the water is consumed with the protein.

One additional benefit of protein powder, is that since it comes in flavors like vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry it can be used to add flavor to things like oatmeal or baked goods.

Finally, for those concerned about all of the other junk they put into the weight-lifter protein, a lot of healthfood stores sell organic protein powders without all of the additives. I think they sell them so that vegetarians can supplement protein into their diet.

I did a search on whey-protein and protein powder and didn't come up with much... Anyone have thoughts on this?
I am finding that as a newbie to this, I have a hard time seeing things from the same angles as the more experienced people do.

See less See more
#4 ·
I use organic whey as a protein supplement daily so shelf life is not an issue. I always keep 1 full unopened container in my BOB and I rotate the stock when I run out of the container I currently use.

If SHTF and you are unable to find or hunt food for days, this protein will help you survive. Obviously you cannot live on just protein alone, but it packs calories and carbs. Enough for you to get back on your feet and find food.

#5 ·
I think its a pretty good idea, although it should be noted that other supplements may cause more problems than they do good. In highschool i spent a lot of time in the gym using various supplements and i now have kidney problems caused by the use of supplements and dehydration. So in a survival situation you might want to make sure you have an ample water supply.

Remember when you take a supplement you are throwing off the natural balance of your diet and may require an increase or decrease in other areas of your diet, but over all whey is pretty safe, its a good idea to make sure you get enough protein in your diet if you do find yourself in a survival situation.

#6 ·
Organic Whey is called a protein supplement because it is simply a PROTEIN supplement. It's pure WHEY PROTEIN. If you can't get that lean piece of meat protein, a protein shake is a simple replacement.

You need balance of Protein, Carbs and Fat.

You can't think of taking organic whey protein as the same thing as taking MUSCLE MAX 3000 or something along those lines. Those are way different.

#9 ·
Few comments......

The shelf-life of this stuff is not very great.

There is no "other junk" in "weightlifter" protein. That is a myth perpetuated by media and athletes who don't want to fess up to drug usage.

Overall it's a good thing to have. Might as we incorporate it into a healthy diet + workout routine and then you will always have some around if the SHTF. Setting it aside in a BOB will be a hassle when it expires and you have to throw it out, or have to keep rotating it out with new stuff.

#12 ·
I guess I should have been more careful on my wording... Many manufacturers supplement their protein with simple carbs, nitrogen compounds, and creatine monohydrate. None of these things bother me, but I know some people on here prefer whole-foods and organics with the least amount of additives possible. For those folks, I was pointing out that you can get pure whey from a healthfood store.

As to shelf life, the current brand that I have in my cupboard must have a two year shelf life, as I just bought it and it expires in August of 2011.

Hubb: I have vacuum sealed it in individual pouches before. It is more convenient for me to carry in my briefcase at work that way... My typical 30 gram serving is smaller than a deck of cards once vacuum sealed. If I were to go with 10 or 15 gram servings, obviously it would be quite a bit smaller. The one problem with vacuum sealing is that the powder can get sucked into the vacuum. To avoid that I have mostly gone to just using snack sized ziplock bags. If I were to vacuum seal some for a BOB, I think I would put it in a plastic baggie first, and not seal it all the way, then put that one upside down in a vacuum bag and seal it. That would prevent most of the powder from getting sucked into the vacuum and potentially ruining it.

#14 ·
I carry it in BOB as a mix, dry milk, and choc flavored protein powder.

#17 ·
I started off with the containers but found some good energy bar recipes online and use it that whey now. I put them in the freezer and we all just grab and go when we want one. I've also played around with the mix to add more specific nutrients for a custom concoction.

#22 ·
If you want to drink it with water, it is somewhat bearable when the chunks are minimal. Either place it in a blender, or use one of those protein shake mixing cups (which is what I have). They either will have a wisk type ball in it or some sort of screen that will break the chunks apart and mix better when shaken.

#19 ·
I routinely drink them with just water. Some brands are better than others. They are chunky and they don't taste great, but it's quick protein.

In a SHTF, it would definitely be bearable. There are a lot worse things I would eat to survive.

#20 ·
My wife is suggesting Slimfast type drinks, yes there is the weight issue , but then again it is a no-fuss no-mess type of deal and is very sanitary. No refridgeration necessary, can be poped on the go whether on foot,bicycle,driving or ? . They do kinda fill ya up just on their own because they are a meal replacement.

Just "food for thought". :D:

#25 ·
I think alot of people will disagree with you since maybe they don't rotate there gear alot but since I use mine everyday like a typical backpack I see it as a great idea. You could also store some peanut butter, jelly and whole wheat tortillas and would be good to go. Don't forget your shaker bottle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.