Survivalist Forum banner

2 Liter Soda Bottles for dry good storage

30K views 70 replies 53 participants last post by  kctgb 
#1 ·
Is anyone using two liter soda bottles for storing dry goods such as rice, beans, wheat etc? They must be food grade and the plastic seems quite sturdy. How would you clean them and seal them after filling?
Seems like a good use for empty bottles.

#3 ·
I've seen them used for things like salt or sugar. As long as they were properly cleaned and throughly dried out I don't think they'd be that bad.

#6 ·
I use 2-liter bottles for dry food storage all the time - and they work great!!!

I buy rice, beans, salt, sugar and other things in bulk. Some go into 5-gal buckets with mylar bags and o2 absorbers....and some goes into the 2-liter bottles.

What I do is clean them thoroughly with dish soap and hot water...then I sanitize them with the stuff I use when making beer. Then I dry them 100% before even thinking of putting anything in them...

Once dry, I fill them up 1/2 way with whatever - put in a desicant and then fill the rest all the way up. I put a lable on the bottle and put on shelf.

I also put drinking water in 2-liters (with a few drops of bleach)...rotate them out every 6 months.

Attachments

#11 ·
So far, I have only used them for water. I wash them out with dish soap and hot water then a few drops of bleach, then rinse a couple of times then fill.

Been thinking of trying a few bottles for rice and stuff but haven't gotten around to it yet.

#48 ·
That's what I use as well for things like water.
When it comes to storing rice or beans, I find the 5 gallons Sparkletts bottles (or similar) work quite well. To help keep them fresh I would have at least two bottles of each, and use them. This way when one became empty, it was time to buy more of the content and switch to the other bottle in the meanwhile. This way your supplies are always fresh. Why store something for ten years, then hope it's useable when you need it? ;)
-Bruce

#15 ·
I have used juice bottles for the past 4 years. Rice and lentils go into the deep freeze for two or three weeks. Then out for a day or two and then bottle up. I don't put anything like oxygen absorbers or desiccants. This has worked for me for 4 years without problem. I don't expect to need any for longer. I just started trying the same method for pasta and macaroni. I keep all under beds in the house. No bugs or problems with taste. I just finished the last of 2008 and just made rice last night with Jan 09. Sometimes I think some people go overboard on this stuff. Now I would not put everything in juice bottles. Beans, soups, veggies, meats and fruits are pressure canned now while energy is cheaper and available. We also keep a lot of pickled eggs.

#18 ·
I use them for medium storage. As noted the juice bottles have a wider mouth. They should be clear and have a PET triangle logo imprinted in small letters on the bottom (usually). I have used O2 absorbers, but even without they will last a long time and are much better than most store packaging as far as pests go. I use them for everyday storage and will probably use them up first before I go to the mylar in buckets and the LDS # 10 cans. After that who knows?

#23 ·
Preacher Man,
I use some soda bottles for my "intermediate storage" which I view as 2 - 4 or 5 years (depending on the food in question.) This is what I do, I will share and you can decide if you think it will work for you. I try to get as much air out as possible which also means as much product in as possible. After the bottle appears filled except for a couple of inches gently squeeze up and down and around and you can usually get another 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups of product in the bottle. After you've filled it again to within a couple of inches gently (<--important word) curl lengthwise your O2 absorber (I use the 300's for this) and insert in in the bottle. Tap the bottle on the counter a couple of times, finish filling it up and seal it up. The next day or two you will see (usually) where the bottle has sunk in a little usually at the upper curve. Ta Da!

When I've needed to get one out I've used a long hemostat and they'll come right out. You get them with some first aid kits, I got mine with my fly tying gear.

#25 ·
i know the title is 2ltr soda bottles,but i feel the 5 ltr square ones with a carry handle and bigger mouth are much better. When i was living in madrid they were just 60 cents ,even buying them for bottled water needs as well .i,ve carried four in each hand ,lot less cumbersome than trying to carry 20 soda bottles.

#27 ·
I use 2 liter bottles for my short term/active pantry dry goods. I've eaten rice out of them after a while (like over 6 mo, maybe a year) and it was fine. I always soak the bottle overnight with a little dawn and a tiny (like half a cap) bit of bleach, then I rinse them really really well, and allow them to drip dry.

I use this to store noodles,rice,split peas, and beans.
I see no reason why you can't get the O2 out of them and use them for at least 2 years, like the method stated above.

I also have a few 20 oz. bottles I keep nice and clean, and sometimes I load them with rice and such. I think this would be a super-useful way to barter (like a trade for a meal or two).

Also, they are useful to store water. I like filling them reasonably full and freezing them if I have the space. This can be used to help keep stuff cold when the power goes out, or as an emergency water source.

#28 ·
those bottles decompose rapidly in fact most plastic leaches chemicals after a while . this is why its not recomended using them more than once . tho one thing you can do is if your fridge is empty freeze those bottles up while filled with water it will keep your eletricity bill down and prevent wear on your fridge . additionally water can still be used for washing clothing and flushing toilets and such . i woulnt water my plants , food or use it as drinkable tho .

edit : probably good for a year maybe a cpl even but past that its a kind of sketchy issue

#34 ·
I buy the one gallon Crystal Geyser water bottles. About 80 cents, they're P.E.T.E., and store twice as much as a 2 liter soda bottle. I'm saving up enough bottles to start filling with grains, and using the oxygen absorbers. I also buy 1 gallon Lipton Ice Tea, and 1 gallon Hawaiian Punch bottles :)
The LDS websites approve of P.E.T. bottles for long term food storage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.