Survivalist Forum banner

What to do with backyard pests?

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  meadmkr 
#1 ·
Just glanced out the glass door and seen these garden wreckers. (see photo) I did the usual yelling and made threats of calling law enforcement. But other than a twitched ear, tails and a few snorts they ignored me and continued to browse the back lawn.

I am afraid to go too much further because they might be armed. I have seen the statistics of how many people lose their lives to these raiders each year and it is enough to make a person cautious. What should I do?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yappy dog???

I watched some deer in a yard once. There was a board property boundary fence between yards. One of the old does walked up to the fence and found a hole and got the neighbors dog all upset and barking furiously. The deer paid no attention, except when the dog quieted down a deer would go to the fence and TEASE it again. Finally somebody from the house opened the door and yelled at the dog. Poor dog, just doing his duty.

#11 ·
A deer ban? If deer are illegal than only illegals will have deer. You can have my Buck when you can pry it from my cold dead hands. Perhaps we should simply limit the capacity of deer. No more than 10 deer per yard.

I tried a no deer zone last year in my garden but it did not reduce vegetable loss. You would think they would read the signs.

#15 ·
:D: Thanks for the Holiday story. I have no problem in believing it. The only part that smacks of made up is referring to horses and cows as being relatively harmless. I am here to tell you that horses are the most evil critter there is.

We had a pony when I was a child that was called Pokey. There was nothing slow about that pony. It used to lay in wait for the afternoon school bus bringing us younger kids home. As soon as the bus pulled away, so that it knew it had it at its mercy, it would come galloping out of the underbrush to trample, bite and rend us to bits. We would only escape by tossing our school books and papers as a distraction and run screaming for a large cedar stump to climb to get out of Pokey's reach. After a hour or so our Mother would come looking for us. At which time the pony would disappear and we would get yelled at for staying outside to play when chores were needed done. When my mom was around that pony never misbehaved. Pure evil!

So I would never rope a deer after reading that cautionary tale. Thanks for the warning.

#18 ·
You ask, what to do with backyard pests? I say have them for dinner! They go well with garden veggies.

Seriously, I've heard that stringing up several strands of nylon mono-filament fishing line works to keep them out. Supposedly freaks them out when they get resistance from something they can't see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.