Survivalist Forum banner

10 shot magazine for Rem 742 Woodsmaster?

81K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  fflincher 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Thing about the 742, the old Winchester 100, the "BAR" is they had to make so many design compromises to fit it into a tidy light weight package that they just are not strong and durable.

Joe-6 hunting deer wont go thru 500 rounds in a lfietime probably.

A person who wants a sturdy gun that will last needs a military type.

#6 ·
My BAR weighs in at 9 pounds (with scope) it's not tidy or compact unless you're comparing it to a SAW. The 742's I've owned aren't that light either, my fathers Model 100 feels a good half pound lighter than my BAR. None of the three are lighter or smaller than a AK or AR, however.com you are right 1000 rounds in a lifetime would be a lot. I've had my BAR 20 years and most years are like this year I shot it 5 times so far, If I shoot it 3 more times that's a lot of meat on the ground.

#5 ·
I sure would be very lerry of shooting 10 rnds very fast the barrel will melt.[/QUOTE

The enemy of any rifle be it your run of the mill hunting rifle,varmint or surplus military rifle is throat erosion. A barrel is only going to last having X amount of powder shot through it before accuracy goes out the window. It's just a matter of how long it takes you and in what quantities you put that X amount of powder down the bore.

If you fire enough rds. in succession without allowing the barrel to cool down throat erosion can start to take place and accuracy will degrade. High velocity small caliber varmint cartridges are more substitutable increasing the bullet dia. as well as decreasing the powder charger will make the barrel last longer.

As has been mentioned the 742 wasn't designed to have a large quantity of ammo fired through it or rapidly over a short period of time and still function reliably. There good rifles but not meant to be a MBR for that get yourself an AK,SKS,FAL,M14 or a Garand.

On a side note Remington doesn't do any repair work on the 742 anymore and parts are hard to find for that model.

#11 ·
I have that gun in that caliber with that clip. The 10rd clip is stiff to insert, but it is new and should loosen up a little bit. It shoots fine with the 10rder though. I got the mag because the gun is my truck gun and part of my GHB equipment. I don't plan on dumping the mag at anything but want the capacity in case I do need it. It is good enough that I am thinking about getting a second one.

#12 ·
The Remington autos, 740, 742, 7400, and now 750 are hunting rifles. They are not designed to be, and never will be, a battle rifle.
A few rounds to check zero prior to opening day, a few rounds to tag a deer, put it away till next year, and that's what they are designed for. Their tolerances are tight to help accuracy and must be kept clean, especially the chamber. Those who don't do so complain of jams. The bolt rails in the receiver are prone to wear with heavy use.
I have a 7400 and like it. For serious social work I have better options, though.

#44 ·
The Remington autos, 740, 742, 7400, and now 750 are hunting rifles. They are not designed to be, and never will be, a battle rifle.
Some folks sure believe it will be continual WAR after SHTF.

I have an OLD Rem 760 and a couple of the Brownell mags, They work but not great. I think Rem changed magazine styles just a hair in the dim past.

Don"t throw that treasure away just because the barrel will melt if you shoot 20rds fast. I kinda think the raiders will go away pretty fast when they run into grandmas with 12 guages, cowboys with their 30-30s, teen boys with 22s, and OLD HUNTERS WITH DEER RIFLES. Especially if the old hunters had the foresight to get a couple of high cap magazines.

I do have an AR but when the family gets here it will probably be in the hands of one of my sons and I will fight with a Rem 760

#17 ·
The Garand sounds good. I love the 30-06 cartridge and mixing calibers doesn't sound wise. How would I get one that was not worn out?

The AR-15 has it's appeal as well, even though it splits ammo stocks. From what was said it has a longer lifespan.

I have a .22 rifle and a pistol. I was going to order a tube fed Marlin .22 mag last week, but they have a new model and they are not in stock right now. That's on the waiting list I guess. These are for small game.

I have two 12 gauge shotguns for game and for defense.

And I have the 742 for game and defense. It's from a pawn shop and looks to have lived in a closet most of it's years. I don't shoot it that much.

I suspect that I'm looking for a well made rifle using a common ammo that can be used for game and for defense.

#18 ·
Getting a good garand is a matter of spending enough money. Or getting lucky.

I cant imagine anyone wearing out an AR if they are on a budget! Should last many many thousands of rounds.

.22 mag is excellent for small game

As for defense, if there was a herd of enemy coming over the hill and you had a fixed position i guess a garand would serve fine. Home defense, it will be slow, awkward and it will shoot thru your house and the neighbors house into the bargain.

i cant much figure a plausible scenario that would call for a garand for defense. Or even a ten round mag. for the 742.

I like my CZ527 as a general purpose weapon. You seem interested in a general purpose gun. A marlin .30-30 is also light handy and quick handling. You can pick up a good used one for 300 bucks.

The essence of any weapon for defense, or hunting really is that you be thoroughly familiar with it, and that it should be quick easy and instinctive to get into use.

And I think that is why the lever .30-30s have been so popular.

#19 ·
I owned a Rem 742 for many years. It was very accurate and maintained it's POI from a cold barrel, but tended to shoot higher as the barrel heated up. After 20 rounds it was shooting much larger groups at least 8-10 inches high at 100 yds.

Sold it and bought a bolt gun for hunting and a Ruger mini-30 for defense.

#21 ·
In my GHB/ kit i have a sporterized 1917 eddystone. Cut to 20in with the original peepsites. Its in the 30-06. I have ammo bandalers with stripper clips loaded for it. Were i work is 34mi from home and alot of that is city so think it would be better to be seen with a old bolt gun then my ak or ar. I also have a 92 and 100 of 9mm in my pack for extra back up. Ive seen the ruger scout rifle but am not a big fan of the 308. I had this one already and it was sporterized anyways. I just took a few more in off of her to make her handle better.

#23 ·
Being an old fashioned guy, I don't think there's much wrong with a Marlin or Winchester 30-30 lever action rifle, either. Excellent homestead rifle.
They are the least expensive, used, at the end of hunting season. When someone's been reading to many Field And Stream magazines and thinks the reason he missed that buck was because he didn't have the latest super-duper-short-magnum rifle with the $1,000 scope.:D:

#26 ·
check out remington7400.com to see some that were meant for shooting, lol

i had 4-5 of those mags to use in a rem 750, the results were mixed. on some i got failure to load, fail to eject, others all ten rounds down the tube with no problems.

recently sold the 750 because it became a closet queen. i liked its look, how it felt and handled most of the time, but too many fussy problems. other guns in the same caliber did it better.

#31 ·
I'm not sure why they wander when warm. Im guessing bad steel in the barrels. We have an older one 740 and the rifling is gone for the first 8 inches from the chamber. Worn smooth but that gun fires reliably unlike the 7400 which jammed up a lot . I sold those magazines for incredible amounts of cash on ebay . One even went for 80 dollars. I paid 13 bucks each for them. made over 750 bucks total . Lots of people thought then and continue to think like I did that these rifles could be used for defense. Nothing could be further from the truth. They aRE NOT BATTLE RIFLES IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

#34 ·
Has nobody suggested the AR-10 for this guy? Yes you will have to have .308 as well as 30-06 ammo, but you can reload both style cases with the same powders, primers, and bullets if I'm not mistaken.

The .308 AR10 is a great hunting/battle rifle. They've become more standardized. I think you might really like one of those.

Another option is the Garand, but that's really expensive for the tactical value of the weapon you're getting. And you can't even shoot modern 30-06 out of it without slowly ruining it.. I love the garand and plan to buy one. I love the 30-06. It is a bad assed American muscle round to have in a semi auto battle rifle. you can get it in an AR platform from Norren, but it is very expensive and I'd rather just compromise on a .308.

#38 ·
10 shot magazines from National in.308 for the Remington 760-7600 used to be advertised by a Texas company.
I got 10 of 'em. JUNK!

Never found any other 10 or greater capacity magazines for it and have settled on the short factory jobs that are selling north of $50 used. Great little carbine, I can ring a steel silhouette at 200 yards, standing with the factory peeps. Not all the time, but I'm an older guy with cataracts in both eyes. Still difficult to reload in a hurry. Custom magazines of greater capacity are smithed, but by the time you fill a belt with 'em you could get a decent semi with decent glass that takes cheap mags.

#40 ·
This thread is 10 years old and last resurected 5 years ago. I'm sure the OP figured it out already.

#45 ·
Boy, you sure found a sore spot!

My 10 round magazines were made by National. ALL OF 'EM SUCK! Maybe bad steel, maybe poor quality control, I donno. Maybe they got the temper wrong in this batch.
I can get mine to now hold a single round that will feed. Had to bend the lips to get that. Beyond that, rounds pop loose or jam. One bullet guide broke loose of its weld, allowing the follower spring and follower to wander around.

I've got good news for you. Original used mags at $50 each are no longer needed.

Remington Model 7600, 760, 76 and Model Six Magazines: MGW (midwestgunworks.com)

$37 each. And they fit pretty flush with the bottom of the reciever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.