Survivalist Forum banner

Mosin Nagant scope mounting options...

73K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  12vman 
#1 ·
There are many mounts on the market these days for the Mosin nagant rifle.
I desided to look at some of these options and try and find the best ot there.
Something that would hold zero and not be a pain in the butt to mount on the gun.

First we will start with the ATI scope mount for the mosin nagant. This is probably one of the more affordable mounts out there and can be found at most sporting goods stores.

For starters this has to be mounted via drilling your reciever. If you want to keep your gun original. This is probably one of the worst options on the martek for you. It is only held on by 2 very shotty screws. And only 2 front screws. I have heard good things about this mount. But you have to be a gun smith to install it or line it up just right. Make sure you have a drill press handy as a hand drill may not cut the mustard. Bonus tho it comes with drill bit and tap also a bent bolt handle. But alas it is a screw on bent bolt handle. Another ask a gun smith part of this install.

Moving on to the UTG tri-rail mount for the mosin nagant rifle.

I have heard mixed reviews on this lil puppy. Some say it holds zero well, some say it's crap and moves all over the place. I think some of that is just user error.
This mount replaces the rear sight leaf and uses the leaf to hold it steady and get rid of some of the slop (side to side movement. This probably comes in as the cheapest mount out there ranging from $30 to $40. And a no gunsmith install. Good if you want to keep your rifle in its stock form.

The B-square mosin nagant scout mount. Another one of the $30+ mounts out there. I've heard mixed reviews on this one too. But I'm a believer you get what you pay for. But then again some people have good things to say about it.

This is another good way to not alter the rifle in any way and give you a way to mount an optic.

Now..You can go the O.G. route and get a PU/PE type scope mount. But if you can find one of these they are gonna cost ya. Anywhere from $100+ to $200+ depending where and when you can find one.

This scope mount needs modification to the receiver as well as the stock! They are held on by two screws in the side of the receiver. Another gun smith special to get this guy mounted correctly. Not for the faint of heart. But in the End you get an original sniper mount used by the Ruskies. Good for that guy who has to have everything milspec.:rolleyes:

Moving on. The rock solid industries mount. Costing around $100 (plus shipping) It is said to be one of the better mounts on the market. But mounts much like the ATI mount. Also requires you have a bent bolt to work. Oh, conveniently RSI sell a bent bolt. So it's a one stop shop.

Again this is a gunsmith type install. Not for the novice. Unless you got the tools and the know how.

Jmeck scope mounts seem to have a good reputation for staying on and holding zero. These mounts are going for around $100 give or take. The install seems pretty straight forward. No drilling or even sight removal. Only thing that needs modification is internat stock modification to fit the band. If you are looking to keep your stock in it's original form for collection value. This isn't for you. Aside from that it is an internal modification and is hiden from sight.

From user reviews. This mount seems to hold up nicely. Holding zero unless you drop the gun on the mount.:xeye::taped: The standard Jmeck mount requires you to have a bent bolt. Which is some extra money. But they also have a z type mount so you can keep your straight bolt. For an extra $20 or so it's worth the Z plate.

So, in short. There are many others out there on the market. These are just some of the popular ones I found. Or the ones that are easy to find. If you have any other mounts for suggestion please post them so others can check them out. I am not a rep for any of these mount companies or do not have direct exp. with many of them. This is just to let people know what kind of options are out there. All images were taken from the interwebnetz and none are mine.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had the rear sight removed and used a dovetail mount. Very secure and accurate. I shot a running deer at about 60 yards, while it was leaping through the air. Hit right where I was aiming. With this method the sight sits so low on the barrel, I have quick sight alignment. It sits so low, I had to remove the front sight post. I'm very happy with it.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=171712

#6 ·
Where did you find a PE mount? And how much was it?

I am still just using the iron sights on my mosin nagant. I have the shorter one and my bro got the longer one. But mine has a bayonet!!
You have a M44. I was going to put mojo peep sights on the list but I wanted to just do scope mounts. My best friend has an m44 with mojo rear sight. This is way more accurate now. If you don't want to scope I's go mojo sights all day. They start at around $80 or so.

#9 ·
The m38 is a short version of the 91/30. I was always told he used a 91/30 from tula. Which is in a museum. The m38 does not have the bayonet log attached to the barrel like the m44 does. From what I have read the 91/30 was the only rifle used for long range "sniper" work.

Mojo's are probably the best peeps for the mosin. They make it much more accurate.

Does anyone have personal experience with the jmeck mounts? I've been thinking of trying one.
From what I read they are one of the most solid mounts on the market.

#17 ·
You're correct - if the scope is mounted directly over the reciever, you can't use stripper clips. With a scout scope mounted where the rear sight sits you still can use stripper clips (which is what I did). I removed the sight and mounted to the dovetail, which was a bit of a job. I had to drill and tap vertical holes through the scope mounts to anchor them in place - otherwise the recoil would start to move the scope down the barrel.

I have a friend who has used the Brassstaker mount, and swears by it. No modifications, and you can still use the iron sights.

#20 ·
Pictures of my rifle with the scope mounted directly to the dovetail - the mounts are see-through, so eventually I plan on getting a front sight for it.

Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun

The scope is a el-cheapo NC-Star 4x, but it has held up fine so far - around 150 rounds through and no issues.

This view kinda shows the rear mount - Note that after I attached the mount, I reinserted the pin that held the rear sight in place - helps to hold the mount.
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun

No personal experience, but I have heard that the Rock Solid mount is also excellent.

Attachments

#21 ·
I'm about to buy my first scope mount for my Mosin Nagat. I think I am going to go with the http://www.qualityoptics.net/mosin-nagant-scope-mount-w-bolt-handle/ at thsi qualityoptics.net site becuase ATI seems to be a good name and this site seems to have the lowest prices any where. $30 seems way cheaper then then the other guys.

But I don't want to get a crappy one please advise if this is good one or not thanks a lot guys!

#22 ·
I've thought about scoping my M-44 many times.

Recently though the reflex, holographic type sights have caught my attention. I like the idea of a scope, but closer than 50 feet, I still want to be able to aim effectively. I was told by a gun smith that you can attach a picitany rail where the rear sight is and strap it on.

Is that a good stable mount/mounting location?

Does anyone have experience with these sights?

Will they handle a Mossin's recoil?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.