Survivalist Forum banner

Preppers...

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  MikeK 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if survivalism/preparedness is as prevalent in non-Western countries? Around here, everyone is from Europe or former British Commonwealth nations ( Australia, Canada, South Africa, etc. ). What about Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand, India, etc?

#2 ·
I'd think a lot of it depends on how much they held on to tradition. Most cultures knew to stay prepared the best they could. They have all gone through famines and disasters, and had known to stockpile what they could for their family's safety.

I'm sure a lot of modernized cultures have adopted the same "hand to mouth" method of feeding their family now. Where they buy only enough at a time for a few days worth of meals.

I know several local korean families, and they are definately hardcore preppers. They've been through it in Korea. It's just in their nature to plan for the future.

#6 ·
I believe that you are correct in that other countries do things just to survive and they don't know that they have it any worse than the rest of the world.

I was stationed in Honduras for two years and the people there, especially in the mountain and rural areas have a very rough life compared to ours. They really don't know another way to live though. Many use oxen and cows to plow their fields to grow crops, or sons and son in laws if there are no animals available.

My wife and 3 sons are from Honduras but they have always live in the city and had a pretty good life there, but the country folks are far ahead of us in survival skills because they live it every day.

#5 ·
I sure hope Japan is. I know a couple folks over there, in Osaka and Tokyo. I'll have to ask. They have had some pretty significant events there. WWII, Sarin gas incident and some big earthquakes.

Thailand, Cambodia and other places in SEA, now way dude. They cannot even afford a newspaper and their communication system is about level with smoke signals.

#8 ·
Thailand, Cambodia and other places in SEA, now way dude. They cannot even afford a newspaper and their communication system is about level with smoke signals.
You can bet that they have a helluva lot of rice and dried fish stocked back though. The asians are some of the most self sufficient people I know of. It's a big part of their culture.

#7 ·
In a lot of parts of Canada people are WAY more prepped as a normal way of life. We've gotten away from it here as a society because of the instant gratification era. Everything is right down the road... People don't even contemplate keeping extra even in their pantry most of the time. Heck a lot of folks don't even HAVE a pantry of any kind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.