Survivalist Forum banner

Daryl Dixon Walking Dead Knife

47K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  J Smith 
#1 ·
Hey guys I was wondering if any of you have been watching the latest Walking Dead and caught what blade Daryl Dixon was carrying? Looked kinda like a buck hoodlum or maybe a TOPS version???

#18 ·
Gerber's whole issue is they dont have any "standards" when it comes to their steel. They change blade material to meet production needs. They will keep runs going with whatever kinda close to spec material they can get.

I used to do a lot of machinery work for Gerber. They want it fast cheap and they effin LOVE China..
I'm thinking just blame Fiskers for buying out Gerber and screwing the whole thing up; By the way Tennessee, Your Tops is made the same way Busse knives are made; Blanked and hand finished to perfection , I'd go tops anyday before Busse, I just can't justify the price .:thumb:

#20 ·
I'm thinking just blame Fiskers for buying out Gerber and screwing the whole thing up; By the way Tennessee, Your Tops is made the same way Busse knives are made; Blanked and hand finished to perfection , I'd go tops anyday before Busse, I just can't justify the price .:thumb:
I like TOPS. I plan on getting another. I agree fiskars is the problem. They did me and where I used to work very dirty in 2002. I lost everything partly because of them.

Meathunter. You are right on TOPS warranty. They will honor bad heat treats and defects though. I dont care how good you are sometimes heat treats wont take and steel gets brittle or annealed. 1095 strength is all in how you heat treat then temper it.

The best way on 1095 is 1475 degrees quench in an oil bath then clean and temper it in an oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. What your looking for is roughly 62 RC. I dont see Busse's steel as vastly superior. I think thats strategic marketing. 1095 is hard pressed to be beat for hard use and combat knives if its heat treated and tempered right. Othewise it wouldnt be the top choice of steel for top hard use and combat knife makers. Its a preferred steel of the military.You can break any knife if you use it as a prybar hammer or a splitting maul. I have been a Multi Craft Millwright Machinist/Welder Fabricator and Industrial Mechanic/Electrician since 1992. Any tool is only as good as the man using it. You use a knife right and it will last a lifetime. Thats why I dont buy this "one knife to survive" concept.
You need the right tool for the job, everytime you do a job. Its a pet peeve of mine.

#16 ·
The wife walks around with a Spyderco Endura....probably not the best zombie apocolpyse knife, but better then nothing. Will do just fine with most tasks and the blade is long enough that if you end up to close you can stab them through the eye and scramble some brains. I wonder what knife snobbs dead body that busse was taken off. I cant suspect Daryle bought it with his own money lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.