Survivalist Forum banner

Storing Baking Soda?

32K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  rspen46 
#1 ·
Hello,

Does anyone have advice on long-term storage of baking soda? I picked up 24# of baking soda in two, light-weight plastic bags today. It was a great buy, but I’m not sure the best way to store it. Will baking soda be fine in food-grade buckets? Should I put it in mylar bags first? I haven’t used mylar yet but I don’t want the baking soda picking up a plastic taste. I have glass canning jars, but I’m trying to avoid breakables as much as possible. Is O2 an issue or will the O2 absorbers turn the baking soda into a brick, like sugar/salt.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

#5 ·
I've been searching these forums and the net looking for some answers, and stumbled upon this thread. I followed this link to the Utah State University page. This is the only time I have read a source advising to pack SALT in 02 absorbers. See the "Packaging" section. Elsewhere it says that baking powder has an indefinite shelf life... these claims fly in the face of everything I have ever heard.

Gives me a chance to use this :confused::confused::confused:

#8 ·
#3 ·
Thank you, neosurvivalist.

I just got back from the Food Storage store. The owner said to store it in an air-tight, food-grade glass or plastic bucket without issue, with no O2 Absorbers. He actually recommeded that over the 10# cans, saying those can take on a metalic taste. I may still line the plastic bucket with Mylar.

#7 ·
i have a giant bag (i dont remember at this point, 50lbs maybe) of baking soda for pool chemistry control that i bought at a good price. its been sitting in my garage, opened, in hot and humid florida weather, for about ten years now. there are some clumps but it works fine still.

#10 ·
I have 4 of those 12 pound bags from the pool section of walmart. They are kept unopened in their original orange plastic bags and sealed in 2, 5 gallon food grade buckets to keep out moisture/rodents/etc. Plan to pick up a couple more before they are gone for the winter.

Mine will mostly be used as emergency cleaning, post shtf. (Washing clothes, bathing, brushing teeth, etc)

#11 ·
Baking soda and washing soda are not the same and only baking soda should be used for baking or teeth.
Baking soda and creme of tartar both have an indefinite shelf life. Baking powder only last for up to 2 years, though I have used it for up to 4 years. It just gets more bitter!

Making Baking Powder
•You need baking soda and cream of tartar to make baking powder.
•Mix 2 parts cream of tartar with 1 part baking soda. For example, mix 2 tsp cream of tartar with 1 tsp baking soda.
•Use the amount of baking powder called for by the recipe. No matter how much homemade baking powder you made, if the recipe calls for 1-1/2 tsp, add exactly 1-1/2 tsp of your mixture.
•Cream of tartar is used to increase the acidity of a mixture. So, you can't switch baking soda for baking powder. You can switch baking powder for baking soda, just expect the flavor to change a little.

#12 ·
Baking soda and washing soda are not the same and only baking soda should be used for baking or teeth.
Baking soda and creme of tartar both have an indefinite shelf life. Baking powder only last for up to 2 years, though I have used it for up to 4 years. It just gets more bitter!
That's true. It does get more bitter. I hadn't thought about that before, but I'm using up the last of an old can now. It doesn't rise quite as well as when fresh and I noticed the taste in a batch of cornbread for the first time. I know I measured properly, so it had to be getting bitter tasting.

#16 ·
If you read the stickies at the top of this section and you look at about the first page of threads, you'll find all this information at your fingertips.

#17 ·
Baking Soda

in Mylar without OA stores forever.

Recommended amount to store, 5 lbs per year per person, this includes using for baking, cooking, medical & cleaning purposes.

1. In practice, I have found that baking soda is stable & has an indefinite shelf life. It does not usually “go bad” but it is possible for baking soda to gradually lose potency over time.

Should you store it in it’s original container? NOT recommended!!

Boxes of baking soda tend to be very cheap but the boxes are terrible for long-term storage.​

A test to check potency of your stored baking soda only takes a min. Either method works
  • Mix a cup of hot water with a tsp of vinegar. Add a spoonful of baking soda.​
  • Place a tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice in a dish & add ¼ tsp of baking soda.​

With either method, if the baking soda is still viable, it will immediately start to fizz & produce healthy bubbles. As it loses potency over time, those bubbles will become less vigorous.

Some Excellent uses of Baking Soda

Soften Older Beans

Simply add 1 tsp of baking soda to the water when you soak older beans to shorten cooking time, reduce gas, & improve digestion.

Create Incredibly Fluffy Omelets

Create fluffier eggs by just adding ½ tsp of baking soda to 3 eggs & whip before turning into them into tasty omelets or scrambled eggs.

Caramelized Onions Quickly

Caramelized onions can be created in a matter of a few mins if you add ¼ tsp of baking soda per pound of sliced onion before sauteeing.

Transform Spaghetti into Ramen

Change spaghetti noodles to Ramen textured noodles by adding 1 tsp of baking soda to the water before boiling spaghetti noodles.

Tenderize Meats

Tenderize tough cuts of meat by soaking the meat in a solution of 1 tsp baking soda in ½ cup water for 15 mins.

Crispier Fried Foods

Breading fried foods in a batter that includes baking soda & an acid ingredient (think buttermilk, lemon juice, vinegar) will create a crispier fried product. It also helps bond the batter to the food a little bit better

How to make your own Baking Powder:

Baking Soda & Cream of Tartar can last indefinitely when stored separately.

Use 2 tsp of cream of tartar & 1 tsp of baking soda with 1 tsp of cornstarch (optional). Mix the baking soda & cream of tartar together til well combined.

This will give you 1 tbsp of baking powder. You can adjust the measurements proportionally to your needs.

If you plan on storing your home-made baking powder, to use for another time add a tsp of cornstarch to the mix & stir. This will absorb any moisture from the air & prevent the mix from clumping. And then store in an air-tight container til you are ready to use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.