Survivalist Forum banner

Do you carry a knife?

125K views 713 replies 568 participants last post by  NCalHippie 
#1 ·
Everyday I carry a blade of some sort even if it is just a pin knife. Boxes need opening, strings cut, fingernails neatened. With that insanely tough plastic the chinese use for packaging it is the only way to open something. Yet it seems most people don't and if I display even a wee blade some people have a fearful reaction or like I am odd. Whats up with that?

Shoot I flubbed up the poll.

Do you carry a knife.

Every day

Occasionally

Only for purpose, like camping

Are you nuts, NO!!!!!

#325 ·
My knife sees use everyday. Plan on getting another for EDC. I could go all day without my phone on me, but the second I leave the door without my knife I am buck naked for all to see.

Always dumbfounded when my coworkers come up to borrow it. Always ask, "Where's yours?". Be a man and get one!

#327 ·
If someone asks to borrow my blade, i ask for what, and if its worthy, i will cut it, no one gets to use my knife. Which is why i want the 5.11. I had a dipstick break a blade tip after i let him use it and he tried to pry the back off a speaker. Said the ol dont worry, i wont break it. Last tip ive ever had break and that was in the mid 80's.

#328 · (Edited)
Does "knife-hand" count? Just Kidding!

I have a homemade "Arkansas Toothpick" type dagger. Nice polished wood hilt/grip/handle, a cousin made it and I bought it ( some years ago.)

I point out " hilt/grip/handle" because there is some argument in the Historical European Combatives community as to whther the hilt of a dagger should be called such or should it be called a grip or handle.

I say, hilt, works fine; but, whatever.

I think the whole argument was started not by HEC practioners, but by sport fencers. As sport fencers call the handle of their instruments grips, not hilts or handles. As least this was my first-hand observation when I was part of the US Fencing Association and part of the SW Texas Fencing division. Though my Maestro did call them hilts, so, again, whatever! :-D

I think the handle of a sword should always be called a hilt. That is what they were originally called and it should stay that way ( I feel.)

As for sport fencing, I don't care what they call the hilts. I would always say I used the " German grip." technically though, the "German grip" is a way to "grip" the hilt, not a type of hilt. Though, there are modified hilts that can only be used in German grip form. I prefered back in the day a standard hilt which I would form a German grip on my own ( without having a hilt shaped into the German grip format for me.)

With daggers ( in HEC ) I prefer also what we call the " German grip." Non-practioners might call it the " crazy killer with a butcher knife in a horror flick grip!" :-D Under-handed grip in other words.

So back to the question, do I carry a knife, well, no, but I do carry a dagger.

NOTE: a knife has a single edge, a dagger has two.

#330 ·
Buck vantage pro, everyday, everywhere. You're not prepared if you don't have a knife on you at all times. Everyone in my pack has a knife with them - ladies all carry swiss army credit card knives in their purses. I also have a diamond sharpening card (size of a credit card) on me all the time as well.

#331 ·
Depends on what the weather is. Always a Benchmade Griptilian in my pants pocket. If I'm wearing a hoodie, Boker TD in the pocket, and a cheaper folder in my overcoat if I'm wearing one.

If I'm in my car, a United Cutlery boot knife or a Coleman camp knife stays wedged between my seat and the console, a Fury folder in the glove box, and a $1 walmart knife in the dash, and two SAK in the console.

#339 ·
My previous manager that most of us referred to as "The Moron" told me I could get fired when he saw my Victorinox Tinker because 'it is a weapon'. I told him to follow me and we walked down the hall to the cubicle next to his where my manager before him sat. I pointed to his desk where his keys were laying with a SAK. I told him that a pocket knife with a tooth pick, tweezers, and screw driver tips is not a weapon. It's a tool.

I still work there and that manager has been demoted twice.

If I have on jeans, dress pants, overalls, coveralls, etc. I have a pocket knife. About the only times I don't have a knife is when I'm wearing my pajamas, swimming trunks, or I'm naked.

Since it was over 40 years ago I don't remember if we were allowed to carry a pocket knife back in school but if we were I carried one.

At a previous job in an office environment there was this down-to-earth (?) guy that reported to me. Every once in a while he'd pull out a Buck 110 to clean his finger nails while we were talking. I thought nothing of it. We both found out later that it scared the holy stuff out of the other managers and they were all afraid to have him report to them so that's why he reported to me. We had a good laugh when we heard about it.

#345 ·
Do you carry a knife. YES.

Every day YES.

Occasionally

Only for purpose, like camping

Are you nuts, Not according to the Army shrinks!!!!!
I know what you mean about people PEEing their pants if you take even the smallest knife from your pocket. Imagine how they looked when I mentioned I have a CCW permit.
Joe-R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.