Survivalist Forum banner

+P JHP through a RIA 1911?

12K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Sytx 
#1 ·
Looking for your guys opinion on shooting +P JHP's through a Rock Island Armory 1911.

Is it safe or should I stick to regular Hollow Points?

#3 ·
I don't know. BUT if you look around on the net in most cases there isn't a real big advantage to using a +p in 45 acp. What I mean is the gain is very minimal for the amount of stress, flash, and bang. Personally I would find a good quality jhp that works 100% of the time.

Have a look at http://www.brassfetcher.com/45ACP.html

#6 ·
My brother just purchased his first handgun.
He needs something for personal protection so he purchased a handgun. The RIA 1911 was something he could afford and was a platform he was comfortable with.(I have a Norinco)
I was wondering if it was safe or not so that I could give him some of my Hornady TAPs to use in case of home defense.

Thanks for the info.

#8 ·
Are you asking about 9mm, 45acp or something else??

Are you loading these rounds yourself or are these factory loads?

Personally I would not worry about it. If your even the slightest concerned, why would you even ask or have doubts? Have you heard of any RIA pistols breaking or exploding shooting +P loads?

Reactions: baka
#9 ·
45acp Factory Loads.

The only reason I have doubts is that on the side of the box it says: "These cartridges are loaded to a higher pressure as indicated by the +P markings on the cases. Use only in firearms recommended by their manufacturer for +P ammunition."

When I bought my first box, the guy at the store asked to see my firearm. He racked the slide a few times, apparently to gauge the strength of the spring. He said they would be fine to shoot with my Norinco and I have not had any problems.

Again I ask for the benefit of my brother. If he is unfortunate enough to have to draw his weapon in self defense I don't want it to fail him.

Have not heard anything about exploding RAI pistols.

#10 ·
I would swap out your recoil spring, but other than that it should be fine. I have seen other things done to them, but it is more for long range accuracy and not really needed to boost reliability or ease of use. The only instance asides from poorly maintained weapons +P need to be watched over is in older guns. And yes, I am 99.9% sure RIA's are still made in the Philippines (kinda funny considering who they were invented to help defeat)

Personally in my 1911 I use Federal hydro shocks and Kimber tac stainless mags. Other than that just good maintenance and a guide rod laser sight (lasers save lives!) all the rest is personal preference.

The only down side to a 1911 (IMO) is its capacity. I have longer extended mags, but only use them when on foot as getting in and out of vehicles with a mag that sticks that far out of the butt of the gun is not fun even in a tactical holster (the thug wanna-be's love you for it though). If you suck at shooting, get something double stacked or even the double stacked 1911 (Para-Ordnance).

The up side is you can spot idiots really quick when they ask "Why is your gun cocked?" and people that know guns stand out quickly when you get "Ooh, a 1911? Nice!". I use mine in a duty holster though... concealed obviously you shouldn't get those comments :) And as with any concealed carry at least 2 extra mags. They have very affordable inside the belt mag holsters in poly... or leather if you like to go commando and want comfort.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.