Survivalist Forum banner

Best way to cut a shotgun barrel

75K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  SgtBooker44 
#1 ·
BEST WAY TO CUT A SHOTGUN BARREL: Whats the best method for a DIY to shorten a Remington 870 magnum express barrel down to 20".
thx

#2 ·
Like it has been done for centuries: a jab saw will get the job done. Then deburr the new muzzle and perhaps blue it (some oil will do the job, also). Only do, if it is legal for you to do so.

Second choice, which I would prefer: buy a second, shorter barrel. I am sure it won't cost you a kidney (buy an used one to save some bucks)

#3 ·
+1

Hack saw or chop saw will get it done.

But I agree with Waldlaeufer with getting a new short barrel like an 18" cylinder bore or a 20" with rifles sights...You can get a new one for around $150 and used for $50.

That is if you are referring to a "legal" chop...Going smaller to say 10 or 12 inches while "cute" don't perform well, are illegal unless you get a $200 BATF(u)E stamp for a Short Barrel gun.

There are a couple of very good barrel stores:

Barrel Exchange

Corson's Barrels

#5 ·
+1

i would say if your going the hack saw rout have some fine files so you can deburr the inside of the barrel after the hack saw does the job but honestly id keep the longer barrel and get a shorter one and keep longer for hunting

#6 ·
"Best" is a subjective word.

Hacksaws work. They're hard to get good and straight, though. A pipe cutter works. Just use it to score the outside of the barrel for a straight line, though. If you go all the way through, it'll leave the cut end a bit crimped and you'll need to do a bit of file work to get it right. A Dremel with a simple cutoff wheel works well. Shotgun barrels are soft steel and a single emery cutoff wheel will go through it like butter. A chop saw works. Hard to get it straight, though, without some careful clamping of the barrel beforehand. A lathe works *best*. It's the only method that compensates for the barrel taper for a perfectly straight cut.

r

#7 ·
The number one best way is to buy a second barrel. You can always sell the original barrel to recoup your money. As for cutting the barrel....Unless you are willing to buy the tools to do it correctly (brownells) it will look like a hack job. I know I've seen enough of em.

#9 ·
I shortened the field barrel of my Mossberg 500 with the chop saw. No problems with straightness according to a straight edge. I measured down the barrel with the breech closed, marked at 18 1/4" and cut. Used a small chain saw file to de-burr. Hit the end w rustoleum matte black to deter rust. It looks nothing like a hack job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.