Survivalist Forum banner

Watchmen of America

34K views 98 replies 63 participants last post by  Mogli 
#1 ·
Who has heard of this disaster prep/militia group. They are stating to be forming groups in every state. The Florida militia has, from what i have read already joined the Florida chapter. You need to fill out a application to join. BAD OPSEC. What is this all about? Right now they have four states and a forum with little traffic. I contacted the Florida militia and they emailed me giving me the contact info for their "Commander" Jeff. My group was interested in gaining some knowledge about the possibility of joining the local militia unit. But i think the militias are massively unorganized and even nonexistent in Florida.

All these sites seem to be linked together:

www.thewatchmenofflorida.com/
http://www.watchmenofamerica.com/
www.PatriotResistance.com
http://patriot.free-forums.in/t56-welcome-to-the-watchmen-of-florida

#2 ·
It looks like a multi-level marketing scam, er, program, and the website reminds me of a late night infomercial. Sign up now! But Wait! You also get an authentic battle tested t-shirt!!! (which isn't available yet in your area)

You pay $15/month to join up, which entitles you to buy made-in-china knockoff copies of mil-spec gear for more than you'd pay at a local surplus store and payments are automatically charged to your credit card until you manage to get them to stop.

The contract requires that any disputes be resolved in Kentucky at your expense, meanwhile your credit card gets charged monthly.

The militia approved battle tested radio offer is a 'Puxing' brand. Other online reviews mention that repair parts are easy to get - which implies that you'll be buying a lot of repair parts.

Oh, and virtually none of the 'benefits' are actually available yet, and the contract allows them to change the terms at any time for any reason.

#7 ·
If you REALLY want to be of some help or service to your community become a volunteer fireman.
85% of the firemen in the US are volunteers ... surpirising huh ?
... and they could use your help (plus you get to play with all of the firetrucks and equipment, run the sirens & lights, drive fast to where the current excitement is happening etc)

#10 ·
I thought it was funny how in order for you to join. You have to give out your actually address, phone number, full name and answer some background questions. We are not signing up just for these Opsec reasons. There are no positions for anything volunteer down here in South Florida. Government spending cuts are making the full time guys rack up every our they can including some volunteer to not loose their jobs same goes for the PD. Volunteer service has been suspended . I have a few friends in the local PDs. The citizen patrol cars are all locked up pending further financial aid.

#11 ·
"The Watchmen Benefactors have a policy that NO Patriot Will be Left Behind
and we will not refuse any membership based on the inability to pay.
We understand that these are hard times for many people and their families."
http://www.watchmenofamerica.com/SPONSOR-A-PATRIOT.html

So, how does one join if you can't afford to pay? No link on their site for that. This sounds like a fly-by-night kind of thing. If you look at their signup page, there's only been 600 hits by their own page counter. Makes you wonder...

Edit: They also have right on their homepage the full pdf version of Patriots, by James Wesley, Rawles. I e-mailed the author to let him know (though I'm sure since it's a publicly posted e-mail address he'll probably never read it).

#20 ·
Edit: They also have right on their homepage the full pdf version of Patriots, by James Wesley, Rawles. I e-mailed the author to let him know (though I'm sure since it's a publicly posted e-mail address he'll probably never read it).
They screwed up the link, so I doubt very many people have downloaded it. It looks to be an outdated copy. The book I bought had a more recent publish date.

#12 ·
I think joining a group like this is a fantastic way to get ones self on a "watch list." I'm sorry, when I think of home grown "militias", I picture the wannabes wandering about at gun shows. Personally, if these guys are so "gung ho", why don't they go down and talk to their nearest Army or Marine recruiter? I was ****ed at Iran during the Iran Hostage situation. As soon as I could, I joined the Delayed Entry Program. After graduation, I went to boot camp. TP

#17 ·
I joined the Marines at the young age of 19. I did my 4 years active, 3 years reserve and I am 30 now.

The idea of a militia is a HUGE difference than joining the military. Militia by definition is against big goverment which is what the military supports. So they are two different entities. Militia you stay where you live and continue to work at a normal job that you may have settled into. Military life is do whatever someone else says without questioning and your life is governed by that aspect.

I think you posted in haste and if you have military experience then you know there is a huge difference. Military life IS your life, Militia is something you do in your off time and in need of an emergency you can fall back on.

#21 ·
Resurrecting an old thread...

This group was featured on a new Discovery show tonight called "Militia Rising." I watched it for poops and giggles. As long as you didn't scrutinize it too much, it wasn't horrible. The Watchmen members were a little goofy, but seemed harmless enough.

Anyone else watch?

#39 ·
This group was featured on a new Discovery show tonight called "Militia Rising." I watched it for poops and giggles. As long as you didn't scrutinize it too much, it wasn't horrible. The Watchmen members were a little goofy, but seemed harmless enough.

Anyone else watch?
I watched some of it, and man, some of those guys made me cringe. Sneaking up on the house in texas and announing theirselves so far back, and then not following the suspects. That was horrible tactics if their goal was to indeed get the suspects. The guys pistol falls off. Most of the members were extremely out of shape. Some of the groups were all ismatched with uniforms yet trying to play "army". I don't know, really seemed to be alot of wannabe military folks who would not be too scary to face.

When they talked survival some of their tricks were good.

Honestly, don't think I would watch anymore...maybe I'm too picky.

#22 ·
oh my god i watched it. holy crazies batman. the indiana group must have bought every piece of plus sized camo that can be found. the arizona group was chasing off people in the desert pointing assualt rifles at them (seems like that is a crime) however we all know they were actors, or members of thier militia they put in there. and the florida guys invade a house to get a woman and baby out after a hurricane with all thier gear and weapons on.

i dont know what else to say, but im sure thinking shows like this are gonna make people call thier congress person to get some kind of law passed to outlaw militias

#25 ·
LMFAO at the Indiana comment! Yea, I guess if someone has never been around anything like that, it could scare the crap out of them.

But overall, they mostly struck me as a bunch of military/police wannabes trying to feel like they're making a difference. I really can't see them causing too much trouble though. They're probably more dangerous to themselves than anyone else.

#28 ·
First off, NOT every group in Florida has joined the WoA. There are groups in north central and south that have, but there is at least one group in NW that I know of that did not join.
There was a 'sales pitch' that thrown at a group I am mildly associated with but it was turned down. Simply a cost vs benefit evaluation didnt lean in their favor at the time
After watching that crap on TV tonight, I am glad. Personally I almost feel ashamed.
Im not sure whether to blame it on Discovery for editing or the people they were filming that seemed to 'ham it up' for the cameras. But either way, it happened just like I expected it to when the Discovery first started trying to get a group to allow them to film earlier in the year.
Hell, I cant figure out which gets under my skin more, the bad acting or fitness levels of some of the people. That definitely did NOTHING to improve the image of the militia movement as a whole. What surprises me the most is that WoA actually went for it.

All that said, obviously there is a fracture amongst the militia as a whole. Some want to be out there visible to the public (I have no issue with this), some want to stay hidden under rocks (I dont think this is the answer), while others want their 15 minutes in the national spotlight (definitely NOT the answer). But the movement is still alive and full of good people that want to make a difference in their community should bad things happen. I am one of those types. While I dont think we need to be parading around on TV, I also think its wrong to hide under the rocks. If our communities are going to trust us they have to know we exist and we are there to help them. Hiding under the guise of OPSEC only strengthens their mistrust and works against us. That much is obvious by the looks of some of the comments here.

For those of you who dont agree, thats your right. Nobody is ramming it down your throat, nobodys asking for your approval, either. But your being here makes one assume you prepare for bad things to happen, thats what these guys are doing. The difference is you only worry about yourself and your family while these guys are worrying about their families AND YOURS. These guys may look stupid (I cant completely disagree in some cases), but then again how would your neighbors classify you if you crawled out from under your OPSEC rock?

Either way, just like some of the other shows thats been aired in the last few years, I doubt I will spend much time worrying about what next weeks episode will bring.

#29 ·
Well written post with several good points.

I actually have far less concern about the types on this show (other than maybe getting into things above their skill level) than I do about the more "fringe" types. At least with these guys, it's plain to see that their hearts are in the right place and they really seem to be well intended.

A lot of the more secretive groups seem to be little more than a front for racist, government hating, xenophobic outcasts.

#30 ·
Except for Slick75 and maybe kjohn1, it seems the prevailing opinion is that a militia is ridiculous, or at least as portrayed by the Watchmen of America.

What do you think makes a good militia? How is one organized, and by whom? What would be the structure? At the risk of compromising security, do any of you belong to a militia, whether "official" or otherwise.

Someone mentioned joining a CERT group, but as I understand CERT, they're not an armed group. They're used as back-up for medical or fire first-responders. Do you not believe in organized armed citizen groups, and if not, why not?

I'm really looking for info here. It seems every time I see something that makes sense (in the prepper area of thought) I come to this forum to see what others w/ more experience think. Almost every time my thinking goes against the general consensus. This leads me to believe that my thinking is flawed, so I'm asking so as to learn where I'm going wrong. Of course, I may be right and you're all wrong. But I prefer to listen to those I consider superior in knowledge (in this area) before making that judgement.

#31 ·
I fully support having an organized, armed, militia-type group of citizens that could step up to help in a true SHTF scenario.

As a ranking cop in a decent sized city (and a rather large total metropolitan area) I know for a fact that we will not be able to effectively safeguard our residents in a large, national (or perhaps even regional) event. Our officer to citizen ratio is close to 500:1. We get run ragged on just an average summer night. If there were mass uprisings/lootings/riots, etc., we would only be able to maintain a bit of order for a short while. Obviously, if it is a local or smaller regional situation, we can invoke mutual aid from other agencies and the National Guard, but that is only if they aren't tied up with their own messes.

So, with that being said, I think it would be great if there were a cadre of citizens prepared to help out. I don't think it will ever happen, though, on a large scale. I think there are too many legal, logistical, and command and control issues. I can't envision a city/county/state attorney signing off on it or the council/commissioners endorsing it. What happens when someone gets hurt while training to help the city? Who do they report to in an emergency? Each group led separately, with it's own command structure? There are too many details to work out.

My opinion is that it should be done on an unofficial level. Instead of seeing cops as the enemy, get to know them. Volunteer as auxiliary officers, attend the citizens police academy, join a CERT team, participate in neighborhood watch, etc. Offer to let your local LEOs use your shooting ranges. Once you get to know them, and they get to know you, let them know that you have a group of friends who train together and are prepared to help out in an earth shattering, EOTWAWKI, situation. That way, even if they don't call on you for help, if things are ever bad enough for you to mobilize, they'll know who you are and that you are on the right side of things. Clearly, this is better suited for a small town/rural county than a big city, but it's a start.

I think the biggest hurdle for militia groups is just being able to define which ones are the good guys and which ones are trouble makers. That's where networking with your local officials will come in handy. Also, having ex-military and stand up citizens will also help. I'd be more inclined to trust a group with professionals, ex-military, no criminal histories, etc. than I would than I would a group of drunken hillbillies (which I'm not knocking, I have a few in my family...)

#38 ·
The people are the militia. Our founding fathers weren't traping around secret camp sites dressed in camo, playing war while failing miserably at erecting a simple tent/shelter.

They were farmers, merchants, a few people with education and military training, who used their weapons and their skills when called upon, to defend their families and communities.

I think the majority of militias are well intentioned, though like the comments above suggest, appear to be alot of guys playing weekend warrior and former mall ninjas.

Be the grey man, blend in, low profile...

The thing that kept getting me on that show, were these guys talking about government collapse and the communities depending on "them" the militias, for support and organization.

If my survival and well-being comes down to being dependent on a bunch of fat guys wrapped up in a guillie suit they made out of a camo tent to accomodate their girth, while yelling commands at old guys while the old guys cant tie a rope around a tree, but at least they have a bunch of cool guns... no thanks.

Oh, and the Indiana group... taking water straight from a pond/lake, running it through homemade bucket and ceramic filter setup that was, what did he call it... oh, "very porous" to filter everything out... and then drinking it without chemically treating it or boiling it... especially in a SHTF scenario like they are implying preparation for... NO THANK YOU (I sort of like my intestines where they are).

#43 ·
I watched the show on demand after reading the OP. I think the group has some well intentioned people and patriots. The problem that migh occur that every TOM,****, HARRY,& SALLY that was denied military enlistment or bounced from service for being a nut job will join up and want to play RECON RANGER and be a BX commando. The only problem I have with militia type groups is the displaying and wearing of military grade insignia. 1 fake Colonel(wearing the bird) for for 3-4 people is a bit much unless your the A-TEAM. If I had a militia group, we would not advertise , be on TV, have a FB page, and wear our gear out in public. Now when SHTF and the US Military is no longer, then we can start to wear the grade insigniaand regroup an organized militia movement. I prefer to be the covert type of prepper, that way I am not easily indentified o that people can still all my coffe and guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.