Survivalist Forum banner

M1 Carbine in 10mm auto...

28K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  TrysteofFate 
#1 ·
I've been reading reviews on the cartridge, and the Glock 20 pistol, as is, can get about the accuracy of a decent AK. So I was thinking a carbine would be even better. I read about M1 Carbines in 10mm but I couldn't find one for sale, or a conversion for one. Anyone got one, know where to find one, or can give instructions for how to convert a .30 one? And if not, other carbines in 10mm auto?

#5 ·
The last article I read about a 45 winchester mag carbine indicated the carbine pretty much disintegrated during the field test for the article. That was back in the early 90's. I haven't heard anything about them since.

Personally, I'd like to have an m-1 carbine in 9 mm but I don't see that happening.

#4 ·
Just 'support' for the 10mm round alone would be nice.

An M1 Carbine would be a decent platform as long as the gas system was tuned right, you did the barrel in 16" (about as long of a barrel you can take advantage of) and you did not mind having reduced mag capacity from the .30 Carbine.

#7 ·
trying to convert one would probably be a pain in the butt. You would pretty much have to rebuild the carbine from scratch. New barrel and bolt.

I saw a ruger 44 carbine which looked AWESOME in the gun store prior to buying my m1 carbine. it shot 44 mag but it had a tubular mag :-/

I would just stick with 30 carbine as the m1 carbine caliber of choice.
it is a fine round, just kinda hard to find.

if you really want a pistol caliber carbine I would go with a beretta or a ruger Police carbine if you can find one... only problem is they dont take glock mags :-(

#9 ·
I've got a Mech-Tech 10mm carbine conversion for my G20 frame. It's a nice HD or hog gun. 3MOA at 100 yards.

I'm waiting on my 11" Olympic 10mm AR upper to be built. I'll hook it up to the M16A2 lower and it should make a dynamite thick woods pig rifle.

At a local gunshop a month ago, they had a post-may MP5 in 10mm for $8995. It would almost be worth the hassle just to be able to get that one.

#10 ·
I've got a Mech-Tech 10mm carbine conversion for my G20 frame. It's a nice HD or hog gun. 3MOA at 100 yards.
I'm waiting on my 11" Olympic 10mm AR upper to be built. I'll hook it up to the M16A2 lower and it should make a dynamite thick woods pig rifle.

At a local gunshop a month ago, they had a post-may MP5 in 10mm for $8995. It would almost be worth the hassle just to be able to get that one.
I dunno, that sounds like a pretty good solution right there. :)

#16 ·
There are so many great firearms out their in standard form, why mess with something custom. If you want custom, do it in an AR.

From your title, it seems your a youngin'. Why not get something with a budget in mind.

It ain't what you use, it's where it's pointed.

you speak of something you know little of, ballisitics. You are making a specific desire to own a rifle that shoots a pistol bullets. Not much to talk there in ballisitics. 10mm is a bit better than other pistol calibers, but thats an expensive gun to feed.

Even what some folks consider poor shooting AK's in many cases outshoot their owners.

Get something basic and budget minded and learn how to use it.

#18 ·
I think a 10MM carbine would be a great idea but I'm not sure a M1 Carbine as built now would stand up to sustained use. You would have to start from scratch and build one for that power level. As it is right now the 30 cal Carbine is fine as is for what it was designed for.

#19 ·
I've always heard the .30 carbine about equivalent to .357 magnum, which for a man-stopper ought to be sufficient out to 100 yards or so...I can testify to the .357 being excellent for deer at that range, even out of a very short barrel. Theoretically, the .30 carbine, with a proper, expanding bullet should be about the same as a .357 lever carbine in killing power, though with a bit more penetration because of the smaller diameter bullet.

10mm at 16" barrel length has less velocity than a .357 or .30 carbine, resulting in a more rainbow like ballistics curve than either one of them. It does have a bit heavier of a bullet, but the only purpose I'd have for a longer barrel, even a carbine length, is to increase sight radius and make hits at longer range possible, along with increased velocity. The increased velocity may make the bullets designed for .40, already stressed by 10mm velocities, fragment with excess velocity and insufficient penetration, which is another worry. The more rainbow like trajectory and lower sectional density of most bullets for the 10mm makes it difficult to hit at longer range, leaving me more likely to look for a more efficient cartridge.

That being said, re-doing an M1 carbine would require, at the very least, a new, custom bolt, barrel, and recoil spring. Plus re-working the mag well to take the wider magazine required for the wider bullet. Not to mention the custom magazines that you'll require to hold the 10mm cartridges.

Not very cost effective to me, and the advantages don't make it worthwhile to me.

My .02. Use or abuse as you see fit.

Tryste.

PS: All ballistics information drawn from here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.