Survivalist Forum banner
459K views 782 replies 520 participants last post by  Hotsauce da Hobo 
#1 ·
I had just received a good idea to start a thread to get a list of everybody wilderness survival items so we can compare notes and make sure nobody forget anything
Shawn

#706 ·
Started as a joke

I make survival/emergency tine for family and sell a few. I'm always looking at new stuff, upgrading and swapping out items. As a joke a buddy got me a lighter. Never had one that needed a sheath of it's own.

However, I'm adding it to my BOB, its too big for my tins. I went ahead and got a few more too. I don't how many lights it makes, I checked the flint and that is even extra long. Worse case , I can drop 5-6 regular size in.

#707 ·
On March 28th, woke up to 4.5 inches of snow and thought it would be a great time to try out my idea of an emergency shelter. From Dollar Tree/99 Cent stores, you can buy 9x12 foot clear plastic painters tarps and 4x6 foot blue tarps with grommets. Used jute twine to hold the clear tarp up and everything was done in my backyard. Better to screw up at home in trying things out than finding out things don't work as planned in an emergency.
I used 2 tarp holders to hold the twine to the tarp, though going to use clothes pins in the future.

The photo of my set up was taken March 29th and as you can see, the snow started disappearing pretty quick. Used my MSS to sleep in and it was a bit of an over kill as I think it only got down to the low 30's/high 20's. The following night, slept in it for 90 minutes using 2 space blankets that cost me all of 89 cents each. I'd of stayed the night, but couldn't fall asleep.

One blanket went under me, the other over. The biggest problem I had using them was keeping the wind from getting under the top space blanket. The other thing is, I still hadn't thrown a bunch of snow/dirt on the edges of the tarp so the wind wouldn't come blowing thru. Did my best to make myself a human burrito in tucking the top blanket under me. Never got cold, but it wasn't the most comfortable thing either.

I now have this system in a Molle II sustainment pouch with 2 blue/clear tarps, a couple of clothes pins and a fire starting kit in it

Attachments

#720 ·
I used 2 tarp holders to hold the twine to the tarp, though going to use clothes pins in the future.
I've used the black binder clips to attach the plastic when making a super shelter over my hammock.

You can also clip the space blanket and clear plastic together to keep the blanket in place. I've found the space blankets are really only effective when used in conjunction with a fire.

#710 ·
The "best" (IMHO) off the shelf store bought fire lighters cost $3.39 for 24 at Lowes, Homedepot, etc are Weber fire lighter cubes.

Remove from factory packaging & place 4 to 6 each in a small waterproof Mylar Ziplocs.

Easy to ignite, large hot flame envelope & 10 to 11 minute burn time.

One or 2 will sure as water is WET, start a FIRE.

Reactions: HeavyHauler
#713 ·
This is the most amazing tool ever made!

Check this amazing pocket wallet knife. It simply turns from a credit card shaped device, and turns into a extremely sharp knife.

I purchased 2 of these for me and my wife for when we go camping, and it is the best thing i've ever purchased. It is extremely sharp and very durable.

Trust me guys, you won't regret it.

Here is a link to purchase it! :thumb:

http://tinyurl.com/ze4kvwg

#714 ·
Check this amazing pocket wallet knife. It simply turns from a credit card shaped device, and turns into a extremely sharp knife.

I purchased 2 of these for me and my wife for when we go camping, and it is the best thing i've ever purchased. It is extremely sharp and very durable.

http://tinyurl.com/ze4kvwg
But what is the advantage over other pocket knifes?

#715 ·
I like the idea of someone "back at the truck". 2 comments about being out in the wilderness: (1) if you don't have it, you can't s _ _ _ it. (2) if something happens: a horse throws you and you go down a cliff, your in a canoe and it turns over, your chased by a bear from your camp and in your haste take nothing with you, etc. I recommend at least a knife around your neck and the ability to make fire around your neck at all times when camping. Things can happen to separate you from your gear on a moments notice. please be aware of this.

#716 ·
yesterday i was winterizing my stocked backpack that is in my car trunk and, coincidentally per cpttuna's idea, i attached to it on outside a sturdy fanny pack that contains: ruger lcr 22lr revolver; 72 rounds 22lr contained in 2 speedstrips, 2 dime coin holders & chambered; bic lighter with 3" candle & 1oz bottle alcohol hand sterilizor in a ziploc baggie; gerber multitool; space blanket; aa flashlight; whistle. also attached to the backpack is a folding hiking stick and metal g.i. surplus canteen with metal cup that fits on the fanny pack strap. the fanny pack, with canteen, hiking stick and extra socks in jacket pockets, is my away-from-site, move-fast kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#717 ·
Ka-bar 7in., drop point buck 3.25in., folding saw, canteen and cup, water bladder, tarp 8 by 10, flannel blanket, high test bank line and jute twine, lighter matches ferro rod and road flare, custom first-aid kit to suit my needs, 1 change of clothes, 6 mre's, frog spear turtle lines and fishing stuff, sewing kit including a sewing awl. Bycicle tire innertube repair kit, cotton handkerchief's, compass and map, leak proof oil lamp(homemade), British military eating utensils, toilet paper, toothbrush, aluminum coffee pot(I like my coffee). I have more stuff, my bags are in a constant state of change.

#718 ·
I have an old military bread bag, I use it as a shoulder bag when backpacking for gear I like quick access too. Its also my GHB, and always in my car.

instant coffee pack, creamer pack, sugar pack- 1 serving
20' para cord
10 water purification tabs
bandana
metal water bottle. (if Im intentionally packing out overnight, I don't take this)
small 1st aid kit in ziplock snack bag
small silva compass
1 doan magnesium fire starter
Maglite solitaire with AAA lithium battery
3 spare batteries
15' trout line, 5 fish hooks 1 steal leader
spork
toilet paper
1.5oz hand sanitizer
bic lighter
leatherman fuse
cash- $2 quarters, $10- Ones, $10- Fives, $60- in Twenties, $50- Fifty.

#723 ·
What's in your survival kit

With my bad knees and being 72, I don't venture into the wilderness much anymore. Instead I have built a campsite on my property and remember old times. But, if I drive into the back country. I am equipped. Also if I drive to the Washington coast and, knowing of the eventual earthquake in that area, and also knowing that to return home I would have to cross the Columbia River, I take a 96-hour pack filled as good as possible, along with my collapsible walking sticks. I find that most pack ingredients depend a lot on where one plans on going or being.

A trip to Washington would mean a raincoat and a full-sized 9 with an extra mag, while a road trip to Montan, for me, would mean taking the .41 mag for possible bears or cougars, plus a small carry 9 for wolves.

Last night on the weather channel, I again watched a segment called SOS-Survival. Here were the stories of people lost in the desert in Texas, a couple lost in the high desert near Palm Springs, a couple in Oregon stuck in the snow in their car. We on this site should be prepared with packed packs, but we may not always have that gear with us, which brings to mind the admonition of Nutnfancy on his site regarding a fanny pack with minimal necessities always on one's person. I need to work more on that, Everyone should go to that SOS site occasionally. There are some mighty dumb folks out there!

#724 ·
Day pack
3-days dehy. food
4 gal. water Nalgene / jug combo
3 ways to make fire
Leatherman
5" Gerber LMF Knife
50' 550 cord
Lifestraw water filter
socks, underwear, shirt (1 ea.)
Toilet paper
Wet wipes
Sunscreen
Full brimmed hat
sling shot & ammo
backpacking stove and cannisters
signal mirror, whistle, First Aid

In my vehicle, always. Along with my firearm(s)

This post has been deleted