Survivalist Forum banner

Is Windows 8 officially the next Microsoft BOB, Me, Vista

6K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  kmonto 
#1 ·

Huge discount on the full version, not looking too good for Win8.

See less See more
#3 ·
Windows 8 suks and I refuse to buy any computer with that crap on it. Windows XP or 7 are probably the best versions. Microsoft better wake up and fix that garbage or they are going to loose many sales and hurt all the PC manufacturers sales badly. Im actually running Vista and while it has issues I have had no major issues that I cannot deal with. Pesonally I like XP the best of any of the windows platforms. Personally I think Microsoft should just update XP and 7 and let people chose what they want. Newer is NOT better IMHO.

#9 ·
Unless Microsoft reverts to a more XP / 7 style operating system Im done with them. I hated the way 8 operates. If I wanted a damned touchscreen product I would have bought a tablet. I like desktops and like using a mouse. I hate 8 and if I can't use what am able to operate having severe nerve damage in my fingertips from severe Carpal Tunnel syndrome and surgery twice for it, I cannot operate a touchscreen because my fingers have no feeling in them. I have tried laptops and cannot operate the onboard mouse either.

My last employer has over 3000 computers and they said they will never adopt 8 because almost everyone hates it. They have XP and Windows7. They are considering Linux if MS drops the ball when XP and 7 become unuseable due to being dated and unsupported.

#14 ·
So windows 8 actually benches a little better than WIN7 for mainstream gaming. (according to Tom's Hardware) But the fact is that people who own desktops and laptops probably feel more comfortable with the Mouse and Keyboard interface than with a touch screen. And if you wanted a touchscreen you would buy a tablet. By forcing the Metro desktop down our throats MS has really messed up. Yeah you can use classic desktop but when you do anything it auto reverts back to metro. Its a pain. I understand that MS is looking towards the future but I think they did it too soon. And they are trying to imitate apple with the whole app store thing. BAD idea MS! Hopefully Linux will get better software support soon and we can all make the switch. Its GOTTA happen!

#16 ·
However, there are many driver issues with some sound and video devices. Windows8 will not be ready for prime-time until either a SP1 comes out with an option to make it look and feel like 7 or Windows 9 comes out.

M$ really is pushing how we interface with our computers, but they pushed too hard with Windows8. I guarantee you that corporations will not adopt Windows8 as it is right now which will hurt M$.

#17 ·
Yes, Win8 SUCKS!!! I'm an IT guy, self employed, and have worked on several win8 boxes now, mainly for smb users, and find it lacking, pain the ass to set up...it's just win7 with a pretty gui, who cares....Who is going to reach across their desk to swipe an icon?

I have a 32" led monitor and keyboard/mouse, will not be swiping anything...

Same on my work laptop, i am using it to type this.....

I think it is ok for tablets, maybe, and it will prolly be ok for POS/Retail boxes, but for day to day business users, etc., no...

IMHO, win7pro is the way to go, and i am advising clients to buy win7pro boxes.....

#20 ·
This is not a discount - I bought it on release day for $69.99. It is the equivalent of MSRP on a new car purchase.

I've run WIN8 on one of my laptops since the day of release and have had ZERO issues - it is the furthest thing from "buggy", as a previous poster mentioned, and actually is amazing how much they put into it - it just works. While, I'm still a Linux guy at heart, I have no issues using or recommending WIN8. In fact, it is selling at a faster rate than Win7 or XP did.

#23 ·
I'm running Windows 8 as well. I've used DOS, Win 95, 98, XP (Skipped Vista), 7 on this machine, and have upgraded it to 8. It's the best, smoothest, most bug-free operating system I've ever seen come out of Redmond and the only one that remotely comes close to the Linux boxes I run at home in terms of ease of use and elegance.

#24 ·
I'm using a Microsoft Surface with RT, and I'm finding it great. But I do think Windows 8 is aimed at computers with both a touchscreen and mouse/keyboard. The experience probably isn't as good without a touchscreen.

But to those who are saying win 8 is a failure: sales are matching Windows 7. The price drop is probably due to a transition to a yearly release cycle (Windows Blue rumours anyone?). The new interface is undeniably superior for touch/gesture input in phones, tablets and Xboxes, and Microsoft has stated they want to adopt a unified OS across all devices, so an interface that works decently across all of them is an important thing.

#25 ·
XP does everything that I need to do and we had zero problems managing around 700 PCs. Well, there were web and email exploits... but it's windoze.

Vista was absolutely horrible.

I never saw a need for Win 7.

The same with Win 8.

I'm very impressed with Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Microsoft and it's wanting to sell you a new OS every few years is bound to fail at some point.

#26 ·
I can't understand why you must denigrate a successful company that makes products people want, using good capitalism, with such childish terms as 'windoze' and 'm$'. It's pointless and antagonizing.

I own computers running all Microsoft OSes since Win 2K. I found Vista to be a good step forward in design and usability from XP. Same with Windows 7. And 8. I find all of them to be the best in their respective generations.

Ubuntu is decent, but suffers from the same flaw every distro of Linux (except OSX) does. It's built for nerds and people who aren't interested in getting things done. It's overly complicated and difficult to find programs for (installing and using any you find is **** too).
I also find the interface hideous and annoying and sloooooooooow.
Word 2013 on my Microsoft Surface opens less than 2 seconds after I tap a file. I have a Core2 Duo (2Ghz) laptop with Ubuntu 10. Openoffice takes 9 seconds to load and when it does, it looks more old-fashioned and useless than a blunt stone axe.

Just my opinion.

#33 ·
I run OpenSuse and love it. Comes with full office suite for free. Works with everything I have and is incredibly fast.

The wife and 3rd oldest son runs windows 8. They all hate it. I tried to install linux but Windows is blocking it. They are working on a work around for that.

My work is still running xp. Some are upgrading to windows 7. They WILL NOT be going to windows 8. They can't stand it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.