Survivalist Forum banner
23K views 47 replies 34 participants last post by  Filthy_McNasty 
#1 ·
So I am grappling with two choices and would appreciate some input about the pro's and con's about each.

In the Blue corner we have the Mossberg 590A1 w/ Bayonet. The obvious advantages are; superior ballistics at close range, a wide selection of ammo varieties (buckshot, slugs, birdshot, flares, and exotics). Ammo is easy to find in many different loads. It has a nice bayonet that will probably not be useful but still its too cool not to consider.

and in the Red Corner there is the Marlin 1894 357/38 spl lever action carbine with a stainless steel fishing with the scout rail and ghost rings. The advantages are that it shares the same ammo as my S&W m19-3. Additionally it would theoretically be more accurate between (50-100yds). Smaller, lighter, cheaper ammo to buy and carry.

Both ammo types are easy to find but are getting expensive. Both are reliable weapons that are flexible enough to be used in the woods, city, and small town environments. Both can be used for defense and also for hunting. Additionally both are pretty easy to carry without drawing too much negative attention that a M1A SOCOM or AK would. Which would you go with?

#2 ·
I own a 590A1...great shotgun...especially with the Federal Flight Control ammo.

I like both of your choices, so it's a toss up. I find the SG to be very useful from food gathering to home defense.

I like the Marlin you spoke of because I like the scout concept. Biggest knock for the Marlin is that any way you look at it...it's still just a pistol caliber in the end. Sure you will be able to shoot it to 100 yards, but how much energy will it have at 100 yards? You did mention you have another firearm that uses the same ammo, so that is a plus on the Marlin.

If it was my money, I say get the 590A1 because it can perform more tasks compared to the Marlin. The Marlin can take large game, but it won't be able to take smaller game...IE birds and whatnot, while the shotgun can take birds up to bear.

I'd pass on the bayonet...kinda mall ninja-ish...if I run out of ammo, I'd be reaching for my secondary weapon not a bayonet.

#4 ·
I would take the shot gun minus the bayonet, If shooting 00buck you get 9 30cal balls going downrange instead of 1 357/38 round. It will spread into a small pattern increasing your chance of hitting even a hidden target. In a wooded area where your adversary or game may be moving in the brush and behind foilage your chances for a hit is improved.

#5 ·
Are you maybe asking which one to buy first? If so - the shotgun. It only reaches so far which neccesitates buying the other later! I like the idea of a handgun caliber rifle which can companion with a handgun using common ammo. Wakes me up as I have a Ruger .44 mag carbine and a couple .44 mag handguns. Thanks for the thought starter and good luck!

#7 ·
Just saw Centurian OO for cheap M590 is great shotgun its an assault shotgun... Slap on your field knife, bayonet 'em. But not for hunting small game. Slug for 50-100yd large game. 00 for close in, 0-25m. Birdshot is cheap at wally...

That said I love my 357 lever Rossi. Accurate 125m, powerful. Takes 357 mag for revolvers, derringer. Versitility of ammo- reload one type. If you keep it fed, like the shotgun, it does not run dry. Ammo is a tad more expensive.... And less available than 12ga.

#8 ·
I'd go the shotgun. First. Then, at some later stage, get a long gun, although probably not the .357, you'd want something with a bit more reach, something a bit more versatile.

Remember, the correct amount of guns to own can be calculated using a very simple mathematical formula...

Correct amount of guns to own = n + 1, where n = the amount of guns you currently own.

So if you have two guns now, you really should have three.

#9 ·
I say shotgun, and keep the bayonet. I don't see a down side to having a knife. If you can mount it to your weapon, it can be an advantage.

Another advantage of the shotgun is the different loads for different applications, small/large game, HD.

My.02

#13 ·
are you recoil sensitive?
then a 12ga filled with buck or slugs is not for you.
now look at the 1894 with ten shots of .357 mag with little or no recoil, which do you think you would be able to handle better?

pick the one you will be able to be the most proficient with,dont get caught up in more firepower is always the way to go mindset, if you lay out the hard earned money for a shotgun and find out you wince everytime you use buck then your not going to be as effective with it as you would be with a fast handling pistol caliber carbine.
make no mistake the .357 magnum is a real problem solver, a revolver/rifle combo so chambered is most formidable in the hands of someone who can use it to put food on the table or keep the boogymen at bay.

#15 ·
Wow seems like the shotgun has it... I already have a few shotguns but none with that reputation of reliability which is why I was considering upgrading to a 590a1. I will probably eventually get both of them. The main problem with the shotgun is the barrel selection with rifling and chokes and such.

#40 ·
Get both.. They both fill different nichés
You can't shoot a pheasant or duck using a .357 carbine without destroying all of the edible meat..

I too own both and if I had to grab one and run it'd be the Marlin hands down, better range, better pentration, smaller/lighter ammo and accuracy. Sorry the 590 is just too limited.
The .357 Mag does not have the penetrating ability of a 12ga slug▬especially Brenneke slugs.

It all depends on your location and your unique situation before you can decide on what best suits your personal needs

#18 ·
logistically,i would always go with the 357 ... but load 38 specials the guns will last longer ... and should work just fine ... you can also carry more ammo which is a big upside ... more AIMED lead on the target ... also if one of your guns breaks (or jams badly) you can still use the ammo you are carrying,

a shot gun shoots 9 buck pellet whether it needs to or not ... its not very efficient..

but for reloading your own shells a shotgun is best, cause it only uses one primer to reload, so it has some merit

#22 ·
All things considered , I'd go with the Marlin 357 .
The shotgun is versatile and a good choice if you had only 1 gun . I think the advantage of using the same ammo for longgun & handgun outwieghs the shotguns versatility .
Hunting for food after ts has htf is an unrealistic fantasy . If things get to the point where hunting laws /seasons are being ignored , wildlife and especially game animals will become extremely scarse real fast .

#25 ·
As others have posted, both have pros and cons.

My vote is for the .357 rifle even though I personally prefer the shotgun.

Logistically it is the clear winner. Lighter/less bulky ammo, ability to shoot down to really small game without destroying it, ability to shoot up the relatively same'ish game a shotgun can and it matches your pistol.

Purely for a SHTF scenario, you may have to only have your pistol on you and hidden under many situations. Going into a semi hostile town area to trade or explore is an example.

You can carry 100's of .357 on you while you may only be able to carry 50 shotgun shells. This is not a deal breaker per se as you should not need a lot of ammo under most situations. It is an issue though when it comes to versatility.

You could have .38 special loads that are geared towards small game only (light powder, light bullets) and it would not impact your defensive needs at all.

If you had a few shotgun shells loaded with light #9 shot for small game then it is a much larger impact on your defensive stores.

(50) Shells total = (5) are small game, (5) are medium bird loads, (10) are slugs, (30) are buckshot.

Any time you start to split up a limited amount of rounds to gain versatility you lose out on your defensive needs.

I am not proposing that you would break up your shells this way, I would personally go with (50) buckshots shells and then focus on snares or bring a slingshot.

#27 ·
590A1 is very heavy, and to my eye ugly. Mossberg 590 lighter, maybe better for home defense.

I own a Marlin .357 carbine. Its cheap to shoot, matches my pistol caliber and a great gun to learn on.

First choice prob. a shotgun, just not the A1.

#28 ·
So you base your decision on what something looks like rather than how it performs??? Great set of standards you have when choosing which firearm you own. I hope you never have to pick up a firearm after a SHTF event that does not meet your eye candy approval.

When people say "it's cheap to shoot" what are you comparing it too??? The only caliber that is truly inexpensive is a 22LR compared to centerfire ammo.

#30 ·
why do i need to chose one? i have both, and cant imagine not having both. which is my goto-first grab-out the door-on the run-gun? the 1894 that is ready and waiting with my gp100. id prefer to have these 2 if i had to bug out in a hurry. and to anyone telliing you a 357 in a marlin is "still just a pistol caliber in a rifle", let me say this. at 75 yards i can nearly put a hole thru a 1/4 thick piece of heavy steel, anything thinner and it will penetrate and still cause desired effect, i accuratly hit a 5 inch circle and i'm not concerned i would destroy a rabbit, yet i could kill a deer, i always load 158 gr, sjsp 357. i cant say that about a shot gun unless i changed which ammo i had in the chamber for each type of shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.