Survivalist Forum banner

Protect solar system from multiple CME

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Optimistic_Pessimist 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Is there a way in which I can protect my backup off-grid solar set-up from CMEs? Specifically. . .

Is it possible to "house" all the electronics and sealed batteries in a container to protect them while the system remains operational? Given the wires leading from the panels to the equipment (and from the batteries to my appliances), I thought probably not, but it's worth asking the question, right? :)

I keep spares in an earthed trashcan, but prevention is better than cure and I'd much rather keep the spares for when the original equipment breaks from normal wear and tear. . .

Cheers,

O_P

#2 ·
Is there a way in which I can protect my backup off-grid solar set-up from CMEs?
I think you mean EMP, not CME, right?

I'm no expert on EMP's, but have been doing a lot of (frustrating) research on this subject. There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice, and not a lot of authoritative, useful info.

For example, some people say you should not ground your protective container, others say you should ground it. Others say it must be grounded in a very specific manner, not just a cold water pipe like most homes use.

Most of the authoritative research I've seen addresses methods for shielding entire structures, not small safety boxes (or trash cans) filled with backup gear.

However, one thing that seems to be consistant throughout is that any wired-up, functioning electronic device (that is not part of an EMP-hardened military, government, or similar installation) is going to be prone to damage from an EMP event.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but I think protected spares may be your best bet.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Mcopes "have been doing a lot of (frustrating) research on this subject. There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice, and not a lot of authoritative, useful info"

thanks for your post - which made me laugh - because I know the feeling well. If I see another "microwave" post I'll go mad. :D:

To add to the clarity of my question, I was thinking of solar flares primarily as the EMP threat here is Oz is pretty low.

Cheers O_P

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.