Survivalist Forum banner

Ruger GP100 vs Ruger SP101

91K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  Nikos01 
#1 ·
What are the main diffrences and which one would you prefer overall?

thanks

#3 ·
The SP101 is a concealment gun, more compact than the GP. The SP101 also has a 5-shot cylinder as well, if I remember correctly.

EDIT: lafayettela types faster than I do. I would also add that of the two, I own a GP100. It's role is as an open-carry piece that I carry when I'm in the hills. It's more controllable, being a service revolver.

#8 ·
When comparing the sizes of the GP100 and SP101, you might compare them to their S&W counterparts. The GP100 is a 6 shot, medium frame .357 comparable to the S&W L frame 686. The SP101 is a small frame, 5 shot comparable to the J frame 60. The GP100 is probably a better range gun for most people. The 4” weighs about 40 oz. The SP101 is probably a better carry gun. I have a 3” and 4” and they weigh 27 oz. and 29 oz. respectively. I like all of them.

#16 ·
new and used will both be good most used guns are in pretty decent shape not many people who shoot more than a few times a year % wise but give it a good look over before you buy i prefer used guns they get job done just as well for alot less $

#20 ·
im looking at about 650$ new
$650 new is kind of steep -- they go for a little more than $500 at the gun shows here in Houston.

It will last forever -- once you see and hold one, you'll know why.

BT -- the trigger often needs a little stoning or cleanup on a new Ruger. You can disassemble it and stone it (Google Ruger trigger job) -- or, you can load it up with snap-caps and pull the trigger a coupla thousand times. Works just as well (although it'll wear your finger out)!

#27 ·
The only spring I think he's referring too is the one I mentioned where you remove a few coils. It's a different process compared to one he's illustrating for single actions.

He expresses all of about 2 sentences describing the process of sniping off a few coils...I just don't think that's reliable for a firearm that someone intends to carry on a daily basis...especially when your life depends on it. The trigger pull isn't that bad that I'd want to jeopardized reliability for one hole groups at 25 yards.

single actions...yes...double actions...not so much....

People have eliminated coils themselves...but that may or may not come at a compromise to reliability...so anyone interested should proceed with caution when doing this to an everyday carry firearm.

#28 ·
Oh, I definitely don't advocate clipping coils. I made that mistake with paintball guns when I was younger; doing that to a real firearm is absolutely something I wouldn't chamfer. I was referring only to his method of smoothing the action.

Back to the original subject, either or is a great gun, because it's a Ruger. my wife and I have a Mini14 and a Mark III, and both are fantastic. There's a reason for the reputation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.