Survivalist Forum banner

remington 742 problems

20K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  nebguy 
#1 ·
The bolt on my remington 742 jams after each shot.
Any suggestions why?

#2 ·
It's a Remington 742. That's your problem!

They were NOTORIOUS for ejector, trigger, and feed ramp problems. The bad part about all this is, Remington WILL NOT repair or replace them, replacement parts were never released by Remington, and are nonexistent unless your gunsmith has a spare "parts rifle" lying around, which is unlikely since they all had the same sets of problems.

Basically, if it's busted, it's busted. But like all firearms, they are going to vary from gun to gun, and I'm sure someone is going to chime in telling you it's a fine firearm. Some were great. Most weren't. I hope for your sake, that the gun is just dirty :D

#4 ·
I hunted with one for years and eventually it developed the same problem. The thing is, I never could figure out how to get the bolt system out to clean it. The trigger assembly came out fine, but I could see no way of getting the bolt out or cleaning anything other than the trigger assembly and barrel.

#6 ·
I guess I will chime in as it was stated above someone will. The 742 is a great gun. Just kidding it has its problems like most first run type guns.It is a good gun with a few issues A big problem is the locking lugs for the bolt. Way to many and they can get dirty. Pretty hard to complete disassemble in the field.
I just fixed one for a friend and also redid the gun for him as long as it was apart. Very big pain to take apart as there is a nut holding the barrel on and it was frozen. The usual culprit is the recoil spring and also the receiver can develop a burr dragging the bolt. The spring is around $10.00 but can be a pain if you haven't messed with guns much. You can order the spring from http://www.gun-parts.com/remingtonhprifle/ It takes a little while to get parts from them but they are pretty fair with shipping.

You may want to polish the bolt and carrier as well and clean up the rail on the receiver. Hope this helps

#9 ·
My guess would be that Remington figured most people wont put 500 rounds thru their rifle in a lifetime. So the design compromises necessary to make it lightweight and tidy wouldnt really matter.

You will go broke trying to wear out an M14.

Friend wore out his "BAR" , and the same happens with the Winchester 100. maybe you can sell some parts on ebay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.