Survivalist Forum banner

Wyoming, winter and the cold.

7K views 41 replies 24 participants last post by  bearhawk 
#1 ·

Right now, Monday morning before sunup, it's -12 outside. :eek:
I love it! This last evening I spent a few hours outside with a huge fire and looked up at an evening sky few ever see. No moon. No urban light pollution. Zero humidity and at an elevation above 9,000 feet.
All the bugs are frozen and buried under several feet of snow. Yogi is fast asleep.
Winter is good. I get to ski all the time. We have enough snow now that I can put my snowshoes away and not worry about rocking out my big fat Rossignols.
Mindset and attitude are paramount in any real life situation. Many here will cringe at the thought of dealing with real cold.
I love it! I get to eat like a horse and burn it all off. Crosscountry skiing is a real calorie burner. I can go through 4,000 to 5,000 calories a day skiing and still lose weight.
There simply is no description of the sky I gazed at last night.
Yeah. It's cold here in Wyoming! That's WHY I live here.:thumb:

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice.

The only concern I would have in such a situation is how cold it is in the outhouse. Those 4000-5000 calories per day have to be addressed eventually. :)

#4 ·
:thumb:

Take care out there. I'm sure you are very experienced in snowy, low temperature, back country travel. When making decisions, just remember to factor in that things can turn bad very fast under adverse conditions in remote areas.

On a side note:: Hey catmando, I'm curious . . . how did you screw up and leave 5 thanks?

#35 ·
Montana is much colder than most of Wyoming. Although there are some exceptions. I do not Love the cold but it does have some advantages such as no insects and I believe few diseases in cold climates. Especially those areas with fewer people. The cold does not make people sick it is viruses etc.

How are the summers?
I think Wyoming summers are great and one of the reasons I move to Wyoming onto my remote mtn place from June to Nov. or so every year since 1999.

Here are a couple summer pics of a high Rocky Mountain area in southern Wyoming >

Here is a good view looking down on my private dirt road which this pic was taken only a few feet above my bunker on the hill side. >

And a nearby fishing lake which helps show some of the beauty in my mountain area >

For me the low population beats everything - yes it's hard in winter but if people band together I don't think we will have a problem. What employment is he looking for?

BTW, I am looking for people who are interested in Bugging Out to Wyoming - ranch set up with sustainable meat and produce, close to firewood and gravity fed irrigation and decent water. We have the space for approximately six families with their own trailers who can contribute. Not looking for any financial commitment (family run ranch) but know that if and when the time comes we will need more than just the three of us.
I am also looking for a few good people who are interesting in bugging out. And possibly I do have 2 who might do that. One guy stayed on my mtn place all last summer and here is his long but very good pic and video thread about that > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=242472

I've made the very same point myself. Those bitter cold northern states are likely going to empty right out if shtf.

With food and fuel shortages, the last place most people wan to be, or go, is places where the snow is measured in feet and the temp is in the -'s.

Granted life will be more difficult for those that remain in such climates, but it does have its advantages. After shtf the fewer people you have to worry about the better IMO.
I constantly try to not be like Most people. On my mtn place the snowpack can get up to 12 feet. Last winter and even this winter the snow is not nearly as much. Last winter was one of the driest and I think only a 5 foot snowpack which mostly melted by June first which is very rare.

And fewer people is one of the main advantages to living in Wyoming. More wildlife than people and I have driven highways in Wyoming for over an hour without seeing any traffic. Even hiked all day on the Continental Divide trail without seeing others! Some other trails in Wyoming are even better.

Living in such climes IMHO increases the odds that you won't survive over time. Winter comes early or late there go the crop/garden. EMP the neighborhood will be denuded of trees any thing that can be burned within a week or two. Then what. Unless you have a horse/ or running transport you are going to have a problem getting wood. Then what? What happens if things last longer than you think and all those nice warm clothes start to fall apart? In a total SHTF situation you'll have a harder row to hoe than others in warmer climes.

I have the utmost respect for those with the skill/ desire, and will to make it work. For those not prepared or unskilled they will find it harder going than those in the South.
I almost disagree with seawind's post but after thinking more about it I do agree that Most people would not survive in real cold climates, with deep snow and no Wal-marts or McDonalds.

There are many "challenges" to living in remote cold snowy areas. One of the reasons I "only" live up there from June to Nov. Although having to help my elderly mom and dad is the main reason I have not permanently moved to my remote Wyoming mtn retreat.

After planning and working on my mtn retreat since 1987 I do believe that I could live up there permanently. Especially when I get the new cabin built by Oct. 2013 hopefully. This new partially underground cabin will have 2 large windows, a partial greenhouse, possibly 2 woodstoves, 3 fifty gallon drums for water, two 55 gallon steel drums sealed with food plus other shelves of food and quite a bit more.

There is a great abundance of wood, especially dead trees on and all around my mtn place. I cannot see ever running out of wood, even if there was a forest fire which is unlikely in that high, remote, snowy and usually wet area.

About clothes is that I have at least 10 plastic bags of good clothes. And likely will take even more up. I cannot see running out of clothes or many other things for possibly 20 plus years.

Of course that depends on if any or many will join me. Which it is possible 2 or Maybe even 2 dozen would join me but that also depends on If they can travel and make it up there and then able to last and be able to "rough" it. I think it is torture in cities having to even live somewhat like most people. But it is all what one gets used to and what one really wants to do!

Well, I guess I have went on long enough....

#16 ·
I've made the very same point myself. Those bitter cold northern states are likely going to empty right out if shtf.

With food and fuel shortages, the last place most people wan to be, or go, is places where the snow is measured in feet and the temp is in the -'s.

Granted life will be more difficult for those that remain in such climates, but it does have its advantages. After shtf the fewer people you have to worry about the better IMO.

#19 ·
I knew I couldn't be the only one here who actually LIKED winter! The concept for me is to embrace the conditions and enjoy it.
I sure appreciate all the positive responses folks. I'll try to get some more photos up soon as I've been out quite quite lately.
Pray for more snow and remember. The cold only means you hafta use a hard wax and go fast!:thumb:

Welcome to Wyoming.:D:

#20 ·
Living in such climes IMHO increases the odds that you won't survive over time. Winter comes early or late there go the crop/garden. EMP the neighborhood will be denuded of trees any thing that can be burned within a week or two. Then what. Unless you have a horse/ or running transport you are going to have a problem getting wood. Then what? What happens if things last longer than you think and all those nice warm clothes start to fall apart? In a total SHTF situation you'll have a harder row to hoe than others in warmer climes.

I have the utmost respect for those with the skill/ desire, and will to make it work. For those not prepared or unskilled they will find it harder going than those in the South.

#27 ·
For me the low population beats everything - yes it's hard in winter but if people band together I don't think we will have a problem. What employment is he looking for?

BTW, I am looking for people who are interested in Bugging Out to Wyoming - ranch set up with sustainable meat and produce, close to firewood and gravity fed irrigation and decent water. We have the space for approximately six families with their own trailers who can contribute. Not looking for any financial commitment (family run ranch) but know that if and when the time comes we will need more than just the three of us.

#37 ·
Thanks. I have to look for an out because I am in a position where I have to choose in the next two years what to do. If I stay with my current department but move out of the city to a rural area where I belong, I will be un promote able (stupid phone). Or I can move my family to a more desirable location with a new department.

#38 ·
Cold climates are absolutely doable if you know what you are doing, and probably safer.

They (colder climates) have the added benefit of providing some measure of natural security. Most folks will stay South or head South to warmer areas; they know they'll perish in the cold quickly.

Being forced to go mobile in sub zero temps would really suck though. That takes some skill and some good gear. People have done it just fine for thousands of years, so it's not impossible or even improbable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.