Survivalist Forum banner

glock 21or 1911?

26K views 63 replies 50 participants last post by  BingoFuelUSN 
#1 ·
i am looking to get a .45 acp. wanted some opinions. glock 21 or 1911?

i would be using them as a bug out weapon so quality is key.

#2 ·
Personally I'd go G21 which I did, Iove 1911's to and am certainly not a Glock fanboy but you can't argue with performance. G21 is reliable out of the box, has fewer parts to break, is simple to maintain and lighter which WILL be important in a BO situation. Also 13shots of 45 is mighty comforting, I added nite sites and a bunch of mags and got a holster for it on my chest rig and i feel really well prepared with it. Now a 1911 can be made ultra reliable and made to feed anything and some have 14+ shots and alloy frame but the Glock rep is one of ultra tough, reliability. I've carried them on duty over the years and owned several ans I own 2 1911's as well, I speak from experience but opinions will vary greatly on this.

#5 ·
G21 is reliable out of the box, has fewer parts to break, is simple to maintain and lighter which WILL be important in a BO situation. Also 13shots of 45 is mighty comforting...
Just curious but wouldn't the 13 round mag capacity negate the "Glocks are lighter" arguement?:rolleyes:

In my experience, you really can't go wrong either way. For me, the G21, even the SF model, is too large for my taste and just does "fit" my hand, but from carrying and shooting other models, I wouldn't hesitate to bet my life on a Glock handgun.

On the other hand, I also own/carry 1911's too (3 Wilson Combats and 2 Kimbers) and would/do bet my life on them as well.

I shoot pretty much daily and have never had a hiccup with either a Glock or a 1911. Reliability with both has been 100%, and I have never broken a part in either. That being said, the choice comes down to personal preference.

I own quite a few handguns and would bet my life and that of my family on any of them. In my opinion, it is ridiculous to own ANY gun that you can't depend on, but most of the people that I know base their gun choices on price rather than reliability.

Now back to the question at hand. I don't know of a single 1911 in the Glock 21 price range that I could suggest, and since I don't know you and yor buying habits, I would suggest you go with the Glock.:thumb:

#6 ·
I agree with retrieverman on the price issue. A reliable 1911 costs a whole lot more than the Glock. I voted for the Glock because its ready to go out of the box at a decent price. Cheap 1911s need some work to function realiably imo.

If you want an out the box reliable and affordable carry gun. Glock
If you want a tried and true design that cant be matched for a little more money. 1911.

#8 ·
There are two many good quality 45 acp pistols on the market, but frankly between the two go with the glock. I say this because many 1911 owners have great guns but they are so tight tolerances these days a little dirt and they can fail, while others will eat dirt for breakfast.

People believe the Kimber is all that and a bag of chips, till you see the slide cracking issues.

Franky I like the 1911 far more then the Glock when it comes to shooting, but then again i am not a big fan of glock in any caliber besides 9mm. I would still pick the Glock though.

#11 ·
IMHO the glocks were designed for the non-shooter in mine as opposed to the 1911 which was designed to be for a firearms shooter in mine. People who shoot will not so much as pamper a gun but actually take care of their weapon . The reason the police love their glocks so much is that it is idiot proof . No safety no problem with stove piping due to limp wrist and cleaning the gun could be a monthly thing even with heavy use. Lets break down the pros and cons of each weapon . For weapon reliability I would give a slight edge to the glock , the major reasons one is the feeding of HP ammo with out having work done to the throat ramp . While on some 1911's that has been taken care of this has never been an issue with the glocks. For the ammo capacity I would have to give it to the glock with 13 round magazines vs the standard 7 or 8 of the single stacked 1911's mags . For overall accuracy I would have to give it to the 1911 hands down . For the ability to customize the weapon and for after market accessories again the 1911 hands down. For the trigger the 1911 it just feels so much better then a glock when it gets dialed in. For the coolness factor it has to be the 1911. While I did vote for the glock in the poll you would not be disappointed in either weapon . I have owned 1911's and shot many a glock and I have an appreciation of both. As I can not make this decision for you will have to live with the choice at the time you make it.

#12 ·
You forgot the main part...

To show my friends or to save my life??

I love my 1911. Its gorgeous, and shoots like a dream. But my Glock is my go-to-gun when it comes to throwing down.

Their are about a million reasons why I love the 1911.

The main reasons why I go to the Glock is
1. Capacity
2. Long term reliability
3. Long term corrosion resistance
4. Half the gun CANT Corrode
5. OEM standard finish is more industrial, and combat friendly.
6. Extremely Ammo friendly
7. Tons of them our on the street. (Meaning, if you need a repair or part or exchange...you would be more likely to find a Glock on the street or in some night stand/store that does not require the parts to be matched to some custom certain manufacturers 1911 style pistol.

If all the 1911 out there were manufactured by one of Kimber, Colt, STI etc.... Then I would feel better that the parts would be more easily retrievable or usable.

Like I said I love my STI 1911. No doubt

If you show up unwanted or pose a threat...it will be a Glock that drops you.

#13 ·
''Now back to the question at hand. I don't know of a single 1911 in the Glock 21 price range that I could suggest, and since I don't know you and yor buying habits, I would suggest you go with the Glock.''

I am kinda fond of the one's coming out of the Philippines. Pretty any name of them, I have good experience with a 1911 that was built on a RIA brl slide and frame, and it ran 100%. Kinda have my eye on the ATI commander size. It and pretty much any other 1911 coming out of the Philippines run about the same as a Glock Or under.

Everything else you said I agree 100% on!

#15 ·
I've had both G21 and 1911's
I'd opt for a 1911 but wouldn't feel differently if someone else choose a glock as their great guns too!
as far as affordable a RIA with a few self done tweaks ( if your a handy type person) and we ran over 5,000 rounds of max loaded ammo thru two of them with only a few issues at first with a faulty extractor on one, ( factory rep replaced it free of charge! and sent two free mags as a sort of apology).
I liked my G21 but will say the 1911 points a lot easier for me personally!!!
Best advice I can give is borrow or rent both shoot them extensively then decide!!!!!!!!

#19 ·
both guns have there limits and good points ..to old timer like me who cut there teeth on the 1911 platform it our go to gun because of the years spent useing it ..i was given a used 1911 pistol in 1970 when i was given one by the uncle for use around the farm and to protect the place and myself when out in some of the more remote areas working ..

when i went into the Army in 75 i was issused one for use as a MP ..so i pick the 1911 pistol over the glock because i used it some much it like picking up a old friend when i grab it and everything comes down to the shooter or the person behind the weapon ..

#25 ·
I used to compete with a Colt 1911 in the steel challenge and after about a 100 rounds down range , I would notice the slide speed start to slow down from all the gunk in it . When I qualify at work with a Glock 21 shooting 200 to 250 rounds down range I never notice that the slide starts to slow down . Every day I go to work I trust my life and more to a Glock 21 . It takes every day abuse , and wear and tear , for almost 3 years and still works at 100% . Probably the best $600.00 I ever spent . I would vote for and recommend a Glock 21 every time , especially in a hostile environment with little or no maintenance .

#26 ·
I used to compete with a Colt 1911 in the steel challenge and after about a 100 rounds down range , I would notice the slide speed start to slow down from all the gunk in it . When I qualify at work with a Glock 21 shooting 200 to 250 rounds down range I never notice that the slide starts to slow down.
I never expected such a comparison from a competitive shooter.:rolleyes:

#27 ·
If I could comfortably shoot the G21 that would be my choice, it just does not fit my hand (too large). I picked the 1911, Only because it fits my hands better, and I tend to shoot better with them.
I am now very tempted by the G30, it fits in my hands better than the G21, and is more compact.
It a personal decision and I would go with the one I shoot the best.

#29 ·
I use and carry both.

When the rain/snow/muck gets bad, I take off the 1911 (cause I don't want to clean it every night) and put on the Glock 21.

As a bug-out-gun, it would depend on what I want to do or need to do with the gun.

The 21 is my least accurate Glock, it's a pig in that respect.
But it's abuse resistant.

The 1911 is accurate and reliable, I can make hits consistently on clay pigeons at 50Y and beyond. But I practice that religiously. I also have an original .22 conversion unit fitted to it.

For my use, capacity means nothing.
I used wheelguns (and still do) for everything and can run one as well as most can run an auto.
Accuracy and reliability are paramount.

That rabbit out at 20Y or the thug holding your wife/daughter hostage is a much more important shot than some b-29 target at 7Y. If you don't have the accuracy or ability to make that one careful shot, you're in trouble.

Pick which one you shoot better.

#30 ·
I own and shoot several of both. I agree with the assessment that the 1911's are more of a thing of beauty and workmanship, than they are practical. It's very simple, 13 = 5 more than 8. The whole concept of a semi auto over a wheel gun is firepower. They hold more ammunition, period. So why not go with one that holds the most? Makes simple, but effective sense to me.

Yeah, I've heard the, "what if you have small hands" argument. My wife has very small hands, yet she has no difficulty handling either of my Glock 21's, or my Glock 30. Admittingly, the 30 is better with a +2 magazine for 2 reasons. It allows the gun to hold an extra 2 rounds, and it allows a place to rest your pinky finger. You can even purchase a sleeve and use 13 round Glock 21 magazines in your Glock 30, and it looks like it was made for it. I have several of these. A 1911 gives you no such options. Bill T.

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descri...l=index&category_id=3&_Mags+&+Extensions/

#31 ·
In a bug out situation you are going to carry ammo for you gun, and lots and lots of other important things so the weight of your gear at least shouldn't be ignored.

What I am trying to say is that the 9mm and 40 S&W ammo weighs considerably less but provides comparable, and in some cases, superior performance to 45 ACP. If you are willing to consider that then I would suggest to look at Glock 17.

#32 ·
YES!!!!! I just pushed the Glock 21 over the tie with the 1911 I love the Glock 21!!! AND THE GLOCK 30 45 ACP rocks 13 rounds of 45 ACP, rocks Having a CCW backup (though a bit 'large') that takes the same mags, rocks Reliability, about the same. 1911 is proven, and some are great, some are not Like Glocks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.