Survivalist Forum banner

Recommend a 22LR Semi Auto Pistol?

21K views 55 replies 53 participants last post by  snowdoctor 
#1 ·
I'm looking to add a good quality 22LR pistol to my collection.

No safe queen but a good plinking fun to shoot semi auto pistol. Something that will handle a day out on the range, blowing away the cans...

Reliability is important. Id rather be shooting it than clearing stovepipes all day....lol

What would you recommend?

#3 ·
Rugers are excellent, but I bought my wife a Walther P22 when she was first getting into semi-autos.
I got it because the price was right and I thought it was a good-looking gun. It turns out that it's accurate and reliable (so long as you don't feed it Federal ammo). You can get a brand new one at a gun show for just under $300, and I've seen used ones for a little less.

#7 ·
I bought the Ruger Mark III 22 (in the "45" style) with a 5' barrel. $225 new from Davidson's (on-line). It's a very accurate pistol. I do stay away from really cheap ammo with it, but it works flawlessly with CCI. There are a couple of tricks to reassembly after a thorough cleaning, but there are also a couple of good guides to doing this on the web.

#33 ·
Thanks for the link. Reading it makes my blood boil even after all these years. :mad: I remember those events well, and the media and political frenzy which followed them.

There are probably many people on this and other related boards who aren't old enough to remember or were not interested at the time in what transpired. Every gun owner should take time to do some research and read up on not only this but the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the National Firearms Act of 1934. Also the Hughs Amendment of April 10, 1986.

As for Bill Ruger, Mama always said to speak well of the dead....he made some pretty good guns....that's about all I can say about him.

Penny:mad:Baxter

#21 · (Edited)
Ruger has been kinda anti but i think Mr.Ruger has retired and let someone else take over. They are now offering the 20rounders to the public again for the mini14 and are trying to be more hip with the new lcp .380.

My walther p22's have worked without a hitch but in a long term survival situation the mark series has a much longer track record and can withstand millions of rounds. The slide on the p22 is aluminum and can possible crack with hotter ammo especially if your recoil spring gets worn out. The p22 also has allot more smaller intricate parts and you can't fully disassemble it as easy.

Another thing is the walther p22 needs a dry lubricant because normal oil can collect gunpowder residue and will rub off the galvanising on the slide rails marring them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.