Survivalist Forum banner

Best MRE's

25K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  olddude 
#1 ·
Hey all, so i was just wondering where the best place to by mres by the case is. and also what brands are ok and what to stay away from. Thanks!

#4 ·
I bought some EBM as they call them and they are pretty good (my kids ask when they can have some more). However they do not come w/ a heater so you will have to get your own or plan accordingly. Price wise they seem to be competitive at least w/ my research. Buy them by the case for the best deal.

Their medium red backpacks are a pretty good deal. They have enough room for a 72 hour kit and have a port at the top labeled "audio" for headphones but you can use it for a hydration bladder hose. My kids love them and my oldest is constantly asking me what else he can put in it for when the time comes. My middle child has a tendency to play with the stuff and I had to take it away. Other than that I have not bought anything else from www.beprepared.com but I do intend to. If I find anything of interest or warning I will pass it along on the Forum.

#7 ·
The Ready Store has a good deal on a 24 pack of entrees only for 69 bucks. They also have full kits at competitive prices. I dont need all the extras so the ala carte packs work out well for me. Just type in mres in google search to find them.

#9 ·
Assuming proper storage, how long can you expect the shelf-life to be for these MREs? What would be the ideal storage conditions/container for an MRE?

Looks like you can get a one-month supply of MRE's from BePrepared.com for $314.95 + shipping. According to the description it contains, "three entrees per day along with delicious side dishes, snacks, desserts, drinks, and more." The actual contents are: 90 main entrees, 30 side dishes, 60 bread, 15 peanut butter, 15 jam/jelly, 30 desserts, 30 drink mixes, 15 cheese spread, 30 Hard Candy.

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_KX M030_A_name_E_[[ProductNameURL]]

So for about $10 a day (a little over $3 per meal) you can feed one person for one month; but as Picard said, there are no heaters included so you have to either eat them cold or come up with your own heat source.

Or, if you order from ArmyGear.net, you can get 24 MREs for $89.98. Based on three meals per day you would need roughly 93 meals for one month. That works out to about $348.67 for a one month supply. This is slightly more expensive than from BePrepared.com but, it does come with heaters. The contents of each MRE are, "Main Meal, Side Dish & Dessert, etc. along with their built-in heater."

The only thing that frightens me is that the picture they provide of their MRE case shows an MRE that says "Vegetarian". :p

#10 ·
from what I've read storage in about 70 degree temp the MRE can last from 7-10 yrs. lower the temp the longer the useful life.

I've read some people here have kept them at higher temps and still ate them. Unfortunately the nutritional value breaks down over time and higher temps.

#12 ·
http://www.mreinfo.com/

anything you have ever wanted to know about MRE's are here.

Where to buy, how long they last, reviews, military vs civilian and international ones as well.

I have purchased from EPICENTER and LONGLIFE with no problems.

By the way I do not like the heaters. I think they are overrated. I prefer to either boil in a bag or heat from a mess kit over a camp stove.

#14 ·
I carry mountain house when I hike, but when I have MREs I just eat them cold. To warm them up a bit, just stick it in your back pocket while you hike (the main entree). Best ones I've ever had are chicken salsa, vegetable manicotti are the worst, has the taste and texture of squishy aluminum foil.

#16 ·
look up the post by URBAN COWBOY called D.I.Y. MRE 's a pictorial ( i would post a link by i am not that savy) it is under this forum just go back a few weeks

it is a great post on how you can make your own mre's. and controll what goes into each one. you will need a heater of some kind, like a good backpackers stove, and a mess kit but it is really worth looking into.

just saying it might be useful.

#17 ·
think they should bring back the old style C rations those things last forever,we were eating C rats in the mid 60s made back during ww2.when i was in the service 5 cig in a box of rats,MREs dont last near as long as the Cs used to.the worst meal i remember was lima beans and juices why i ended up getting those all the time i dont know.except the HQ office guys got the first pick of the good stuff and then gave the rest to us in the field.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.