Survivalist Forum banner

what do I need under my tent?

18K views 25 replies 23 participants last post by  Domindart 
#1 ·
Will a tarp do, or what should I put down for my "footprint"?

#5 ·
I use a heavy shrink wrap plastic used for shrink wraping boats for storage .
It lasts much longer than any other material and is repairable wit a small torch or a lighter it will marry to it's self perminantly and better than any glue I guarentee.
It slides in snow like nothing else, perfect for many different appplications .
Using a ground cloth has always paid off , not using one has reenforced the need.

#13 ·
you should use some type of ground cover under your tent, it will help your tent last longer and help keep moisture out.

i use a tarp or a cheap shower curtain. if you are worried about weight, you can use a 2 mil plastic dropcloth. super cheap at the hardware store and only 2 or 3 ounces.

#16 ·
I use a roll of plastic sheet, used as a painting dropcloth. costs about a buck a roll. Reuse or throw away. Small light and has alot of other uses.

And if you got a tent with the roof vent mesh in the top, it works good for covering it in cold weather to keep in heat.

#19 ·
I have used the same black plastic gardening ground cloth for 15 years. Make sure you cut it to the size of your tent floor. If you don't when it rains it defeats the purpose, water will get under your tent and settle then what is the point. If you really want to make your tent last take the extra effort to clean up the area where you are going to pitch it clear it of rocks sticks roots that kind of stuff. I stopped using the tent and just use the ground sheet. good luck!

#25 ·
Some years ago, the wife & I rode to a motorcycle party, where it was raining like crazy! An absolute downpour!! (this IS Oregon ya know!!) :D:

Everybody there had stretched out tarps OVER their tents, and thought we were dumbsh*ts for putting our tarp underneith our tent.

Can you guess who woke up in the morning high & dry, (and who didn't???) :rolleyes: :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.