Survivalist Forum banner

Attaching sleeping bag to Alice pack

11K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  privateer56 
#1 ·
I have an Alice pack medium w/o frame that I am planning to use for my primary BOB. Does anyone out there have a favorite way for me to lash or attach my sleeping bag to my BOB?

In a similar note I currently have my sleeping bag stored in the bag all rolled up. Is this the best way or should I hang it or store it in some other way?

Thanks

#2 ·
Not sure what type of sleeping bag system you have? I have the Military bag, I compress it down as far as I can. I have extra long pull straps on my alice pack. I just stick the bag under the straps on top of the bag and tighten it down. It is also positioned to make a perfect head rest when you stop for a break. Use velcro straps to run through through the loops on the bottom of the pack if you want.
Chris

#5 ·
Bags are best stored hanging so their fibers aren't compressed but this fact must be ignored when packing your bug-out bag since it must be completely packed and ready to go at a moment's notice. I keep mine packed tightly inside a plastic bag that lines a nylon stuff-sack. The stuff-sack is strapped onto my pack frame with cargo straps.

#6 ·
Thanks for everyone's reply. My Alice pack also has extra long straps so I will see if I can square my sleeping bag with them. My bag is a -15 degree bag I got from the Sportsman's Guide. I try to keep everything together as time will be of the essence if needed. Thanks again.

#7 ·
If you do keep your bag rolled up and ready to go make sure it is in a breathable sack. Any moisture trapped in there will mildew. To attach mine for when I drill with the guard, I use 2 web gear straps I got through the PX. I think they were Brigade Quartermaster straps about 4 feet long with the standard friction closures. I wove them through the compression straps on my bag and through the 2 slots at the bottom of the frame and then through the 2 web slots(?) on the bottom of the pack. You want to have more than one attachment point to keep the bag from bouncing around and throwing your step off or getting caught on brush.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.