Survivalist Forum banner
10K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  bltjr1951 
#1 ·
So I'm getting ready to buy a Maxpedition Falcon 2 bag (as a get-home bag) and am doing my research - I've spent the better part of the day looking at youtube videos of what people use their packs for and what they have in there.

One thing i've noticed is that NONE of the videos that I've seen (so far) shows anyone packing CLOTHING! No change of socks or underware, no change of shirt, no pants - the only common "clothing" item is rain poncho. There is no shortage of junk and useless equipment though.

Is it just me or do most people forget to pack clothing?

I've seen this when watching what people pack for bug-out bags, EDC bags, ditch bags, get home bags, etc.

When I used to backpack, I would always have AT LEAST 2 pairs of socks (plus what I had on), 2 pairs of undies, 2 t-shirts, a fleece and a pair of pants - AND a light rain coat.

So anyone else notice this or am I just not "getting" something???

#2 ·
I think when making theses packs you tend to leave clothes out of the video as you assume we would all pack these anyway.
If I pre packed my pack with clothes they would be festering by now due to lack of air flow.
I know what I need to take and where its located so it would be an easy fix.

#3 ·
When I go hiking / camping, clothing is something that I admit that I do not pack a lot of. Most of the time I just pack a change of socks, and spare pair of underwear. If my shirt gets a little mud on it, I'll just have to wash it off in a creek or something.

As for a get home bag, I do not have one - so I dont worry about it.

#4 ·
Good question.

I think it all boils down to what your bag is...I mean is it a GHB or a BOB? For instance I have both, the GHB has a change of socks/hat/gloves/polypro shirt/light jacket. I carry this daily (In the truck) and I only work a few miles from home.

Now my BOB is a different story, that one is if I have to 'head for the hills'. I have a change of clothes, some seasonal cold weather gear, and 5-6 pair of socks and some skiviees. I use this while camping as well....and I rotate clothing based on the season and the length of the trip.

Thats at least my philosophy. Clear as mud?:) Hope this helps.

#5 ·
Backpacking trips have taught me that atleast 2 changes of clothes is necessary. One to wear while one is drying. And I agree with extra socks. They have a lot of uses and coming up lame with a foot problem can be life or death.

What I notice is a lack of food and water. If water is readily available, ie snow or rivers and you have the means to purify that's one thing. With food, I think people hear stories of going without for 20 some days and surviving. But physical exertion becomes a real challenge after 3 or 4. Not to mention the psychological effects. These things add a lot of weight, but they decrease over time.

#6 ·
GHB ought to be something to get you home from work or some other nearby trip. Duration ought to be a day or so, not much longer. Mine has no clothing either and is all stowed in a Jumbo Versipack. Just a pair of socks and a packable raincoat. However, I have clothing in my vehicle if I need it.

Looks like you are putting together a BOB, rather than a simple goodie bag to get you home from work or a day trip.

#8 ·
I appreciate all the replies...

To answer your question - yes it IS a GHB...but i have a somewhat unique situation - I'm a sales rep and I travel all the time - most times well over 300 miles from home (usually 300 to 800 miles)...so i guess you could say my GHB is probably more equipped like most people's BOB's ;)

I guess I just assume that most people will need to hike for 2-3 days to get home (oops...shouldnt assume!) My thing is if you are walking, your feet are the most important tool you have...so change of socks is most important no matter the distance (oh dont forget foot powder, mole skin, etc). Rain jacket (being wet SUCKS!), long pants (prevent tics and bug bites) are all a must (or at least I'm thinking they are).

#13 ·
Well, as far as cold and wet is concerned, you really can't beat wool. Poly-blends of wool and synthetics for socks and other clothes would be really good.

Some people will not too politely remind you that cotton-based products can kill you if you get wet and it's cold outside. That has some merit, to be concerned about that but I think a lot of people really condemn and avoid all cotton and that's really not necessary either.

I think a huge damned fire goes a long way towards making up for cotton's shortcomings in the warmth department.

#16 ·
I have 2 set of clothes in my BOB, and 1 set in my GHB / hiking pack. If I go for a day hike with my GHB / hiking pack I take out the clothes to save weight. The clothes consist of military wool blend socks, military BDU pants, moisture wicking shirt and underwear.

#17 ·
Poly-Pro's, the liners from hunting gloves, etc during the winter (I always carry normal gloves too). During summer months, I keep socks, lightweight combat type cargo pants (rip-stop, lots of pockets, etc) as well as extra socks/undies. Daily uniform already has me in Timberland boots - as crappy as they would be in the real wilderness, thats all I need to get home.

I wear Underarmor year round as an undershirt. Helps wick away sweat since I'm one of those people that can sweat just thinking about it and I'm a natural heater, as my wife says.

There wouldn't be a problem with camp fires, the material is just fully synthetic, so it's a legal statement in case you set yourself on fire. It would instantly melt to you and burn just like a plastic bag would. Are they worth the $, IMO, yes. The only thing I don't like is that they tend to keep smells, so shirts over 8 months old have a unique oder to them that you can't just wash out,

Personally, I keep a 72 hour emergency kit/backpack in the truck along with some extra things as a GHB. I drive all over the place some days and if something where to happen, that thing is for me to just bail out and hike. Wife has one as well, but I need to alter hers since she is more likely to have the dogs in her car during the normal day.

#18 ·
I appreciate all the replies...

To answer your question - yes it IS a GHB...but i have a somewhat unique situation - I'm a sales rep and I travel all the time - most times well over 300 miles from home (usually 300 to 800 miles)...so i guess you could say my GHB is probably more equipped like most people's BOB's

I guess I just assume that most people will need to hike for 2-3 days to get home (oops...shouldnt assume!) My thing is if you are walking, your feet are the most important tool you have...so change of socks is most important no matter the distance (oh dont forget foot powder, mole skin, etc). Rain jacket (being wet SUCKS!), long pants (prevent tics and bug bites) are all a must (or at least I'm thinking they are).
I'm in a similar situation. I work well away from my home and I carry a pack in my truck always. It is more like a "bob light". I have one change of clothes in it along with the normal items one would have in a 48hr pack. Its only half full, so if I have time to add things from my truck then I have room.
The true BOB at home is leaning towards an INCH pack just because my truck bag could also be a BOB, and if I'm at home I can choose what to grab. Plus if I have to run out of my burning house then I still have a backup waiting for me:D:

#19 ·
Is it just me or do most people forget to pack clothing?
No, it's not just you. People do forget it. "Forget" isn't the word, for some reason it seems that many purposely disregard it.

Everybody seems to think that the only time you go backpacking is in the summer, and a get-home bag would be packed in a similar matter. Unfortunately, if you ever had to use it... you don't get to pick the weather. Even if you repacked it every season, the temperature can sway as much as like 40 degrees very quickly.

Plus, well, things get dirty, wet, and damaged.

Clothes are actually one of the heaviest and bulkiest thing you would have on you, especially if you're carrying a warm jacket. Some of these guys claiming to have a minimalist setup and laughing at others who don't are often totally disregarding this important subject.

#20 ·
Something that works well for a variety of uses is Tyvac coveralls only cost about $12.00 great wind barrier,water proof, you can wear while washing you other clothes, Tyvac wipes clean. I get mine at Home Depot, you can even wear under your clothes in the winter to prevent moisture wicking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.