Survivalist Forum banner

how much bleach to add to water?

27K views 32 replies 27 participants last post by  woodyp 
#1 ·
I'm storing water that I filter through a R.O. system. Do I need to add anything like bleach to keep it from getting 'germy'?

#3 ·
From Googling:

Ratio of Clorox Bleach to Water for Purification

2 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per quart of water
8 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per gallon of water
1/2 teaspoon Regular Clorox Bleach per five gallons of water
If water is cloudy, double the recommended dosages of Clorox Bleach.

Add Regular Clorox Bleach per the indicated ratio. Mix well. Wait 30 min. Water should have a slight bleach odor. If not, repeat dose. Wait 15 min. Sniff again.

#4 · (Edited)
Sodium Hypochlorite (common laundry bleach) is a proven disinfectant for water. You need first to know the concentration of your bleach. Name brands are typically 6% while house brands are 3% (That's how they price them lower) You will want to achieve a 3-4 ppm concentration of bleach to water. This equates to 3-4 mg/l.
For a 55 gallon drum you would add 5 teaspoons of 6% bleach. Add the bleach as the water is being added to the barrel. The mixing will be automatic as it fills. Close the bung plug and keep it cool and away from sunlight (basement is perfect)
I have treated several barrels for many years (draining and refilling every 2 years) and the water is crystal clear and taste good. Almost no odor of chlorine preset.

#5 ·
Sodium Hypochlorite (common laundry bleach) is a proven disinfectant for water.
Just be aware that bleach for Cryptosporidium is debatable.
Not that you have to worry about that so much with house water, but field water or fecal contaminated water you should be aware.

"Cryptosporidium is tougher to kill than most disease-causing organisms. The usual disinfectants, including most commonly used bleach solutions, have little effect on the Cryptosporidium parasite. "
http://www.familymanagement.com/childcare/facts/cryptosporidiosis.facts.html

#6 ·
Crypto is rare in North America. However that could change over time, or when the SHTF.

As far as bleach goes ... My personal research is that you can (use this info to base your own research on)... use Chlorine bleach and medicine dropper – When diluted nine parts water to one part bleach, bleach can be used as a disinfectant. Or in an emergency, you can use it to treat water by using 16 drops of regular household liquid bleach per gallon of water. Do not use scented, color safe or bleaches with added cleaners. It's important to realize that this is for an emergency situation. Common household bleach by itself is not a true water purifier. For that, you need something that is registered by the EPA as such.

The only agent that I know of that does meet the EPA guidelines for a water purifyer is chlorine dioxide and is found in the proper formuation and concentration in only a few water purification tablets. And, by the way, it kills Crypto.

If you wish to store water ahead of time, FEMA suggests that you can prepare your own water storage by using food grade water storage containers or re-use 2-liter plastic soft drink bottles. If you choose this method, you’ll need to thoroughly clean the containers with dishwashing soap and water and rinse completely so there is no residual soap. Additionally, for soft drink bottles, sanitize the bottles by adding one teaspoon of non-scented liquid chlorine bleach to a quart of water, and swish the sanitizing solution so that it touches all inside surfaces and rinse thoroughly with clean water. Then, fill the bottle with regular tap water from a city water supply (pre-treated with chlorine). If your tap water is not chlorinated, treat it yourself with two drops of non-scented liquid chorine bleach per gallon of water. Tightly seal the container using the original cap making sure that you do not contaminate the cap by touching the inside of it. Write the date on the outside of the cap so that you know when you filled it and store in a cool dark place.

#9 ·
I have a well, so my water is safely underground. I just got a generator--we use it at the racetrack, but I plan to hook it up to the well and see if it has enough HP to draw water. Other than that, I have tablets from the sporting goods store, as I have not had good luck storing water. If I ever manage to get gutters on my house, I'll put barrels on the downspouts to catch rain for the toilets. In an emergency, could I boil this water, assuming there's no fallout or chemical pollution, but only a power outage?

#15 ·
Don't mess with Crypto! that'll have you passin blood,# 1 and 2...Hepatitus(A?) can be picked up from bad water...there's also somethin passed to mammals from snails that will ruin your day...Got a friend caught this from swimmin...I ve seen Iodine used before and yrs back my Grandad would dump a jug of bleach in the Cystern...So much for ppm's I reckon.:rolleyes:.

#17 ·
Sorry for my ignorance, I'm a newbie, but does adding bleach destroy any trace benefits in the water? I read on another board that distillation not only leaches out the calcium in water but, over a period of time, without the calcium in the water, it will actually start to flush calcium from your system. Was that poster way off? And does adding bleach have any adverse affects we should be aware of (assuming we have the right ratio down)?

#19 ·
Adding bleach is essentially adding chlorine, which is what the water company adds. You may notice your tap water smells more strongly of chlorine after a rain storm. They are just adding more treatment because of the added possible contaminants, just like doubling the drops for cloudy water.
RO and distilled water are both lacking minerals but a good multi-vitamin should take care of that.

#20 ·
No way would I ever use bleach. I would use food grade hydrogen peroxide like dairy farmers use. Why use poison when you can use something healthy?

You can buy the Food Grade Peroxide in gallons at 35% concentration and use 11 parts water to one part peroxide then use that mix at an ounce per gallon. The stuff cures ailments too.

#23 ·
You can get forms of chlorine that will store a lot longer than peroxide. Calcium hypochlorite (pool shock) for example.

Chlorine offgasses quickly from water if that's a worry. Just let it sit open overnight. Citric acid can be used to make that happen quicker.

#24 ·
I have a lot of 3 liter wine jugs stored with water in them. They've been stored for about a year, and am looking at purifying, or replacing the water.
If I add bleach, can I continue to do that year after year? Or do I need to eventually replace the water?

Thanks

#28 ·
I have a Frontier Pro filter to remove the big bad Crypto and Giardia; the little stuff is to be dealt with using bleach. Are there any stats on killing Crypto when using twice as much bleach? I know it is advised for cold or cloudy water.

I've noticed tables on using different strengths of bleaches on page 2-26, FM21-10. In the Army's Field Sanitation manual. I still try to wrap my mind around using just one drop in a quart of water for the "super strength" 8% Sodium Hypo bleach you get at Walmart.

#31 ·
Chlorine is a powerful element. Sodium hypochlorite is indeed effective. Everyone, please be careful to not overdose your water supply. Chlorine doesn't treat your eyes well in a pool - and it will not be easy on your stomach. Not in one dose of course; but over months of continued ingestion it can cause problems. Use litmus paper: it's cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.