Survivalist Forum banner

Tips for growing organic tomatoes

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Rabble 
#1 ·
Organic grower or not, this article has a bunch of tips from a guy who raises 3,000 plants from seed every year for sale.

#2 ·
Well if he is not spraying with pesticides, and is using organic fertilizer I guess you would call that organic. Some good things for tomatoes I like to put in the planting hole would be egg shells,,banana peel,,bone meal,,maybe touch of blood meal but you could use some green stuff for the nitrogen part in place of blood meal as you don;t want alot of nitrogen anyways,,make a nice plant with not as much fruit. Also if your soil gets fairly warm mulch around the plant good.. An interesting read on tomatoes is a book by Charles Wilbur,, he lives in a warm climate that alot of us do not but alot of techniques still can be used here,,just wouldn't get the amount of fruit and the size plants he has.

#3 ·
I break all this guys rules. He fertilizes twice, mine are cold turkey. He uses raised beds and stakes, I don't (Try doing that with hundreds of plants!)

He makes it sound so wonderful that he's organic. There just aren't that many pests in the PNW for tomatoes. I don't spray mine and they grow great. I don't water very much. He loves to water. Two years ago one of my plantings (about 200 plants) didn't get any water. It was a long hot summer and each plant was loaded with beautiful red tomatoes. I got at more than 30 pounds of tomatoes per bush without irrigation, and yet they weren't watered and weren't rained on for several months. Tomatoes are weeds, build up their roots early, and then you can ignore them later!

Do what's best for you. If it works do it. If it dosen't then don't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.