Survivalist Forum banner

Any organic treatments to prevent worms and fungus on apple trees?

7K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  lanahi 
#1 ·
I transplanted a dwarf yellow delicious and a dwarf fuji apple tree purchased from a nursery this spring and they are already both loaded with small apples. The nursery recommended that I spray them to prevent worms and leaf fungus. However, I would like to have organic apples. Any suggestions for organic ways to keep my apple trees and apples healthy?

Also, the apples are growing in clusters of 3 and I read to trim the small apples so there is only 1 apple every 6 inches to ensure larger fruit. Does anyone else agree or disagree with that suggestion?

Anything else I should do for my apple trees since I am new to the process?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I transplanted a dwarf yellow delicious and a dwarf fuji apple tree purchased from a nursery this spring and they are already both loaded with small apples. The nursery recommended that I spray them to prevent worms and leaf fungus. However, I would like to have organic apples. Any suggestions for organic ways to keep my apple trees and apples healthy?

Also, the apples are growing in clusters of 3 and I read to trim the small apples so there is only 1 apple every 6 inches to ensure larger fruit. Does anyone else agree or disagree with that suggestion?

Anything else I should do for my apple trees since I am new to the process?

Thanks!
For fungus try horticultural cornmeal and also airiate the soil around the trunk out to the drip perimeter of the tree.

For bag worms hit the webs with water to break them up and spray orange oil/water mixture 1/8 cup to 2 gallons of water to prevent them from coming back.

here is a great link for more organic gardening tips:

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/

#6 ·
They make a nylon stocking type bag that you put on the apple when its young and it expands with the apple preventing maggot infestation. If your fungi is like mine you will need the help of God to keep it away, cedar apple rust is a MOFO to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.