Survivalist Forum banner

Hot Sauce for Heart Attack?

15K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  hayes31 
#1 ·
I was told that on a fishing boat a guy started having a heart attack and the medical tech on the radio said to drink a bottle of hot sauce which saved his life... Any truth to this or a myth??

#2 ·
my research leads me to believe that cayenne pepper, which is very hot helps dilate the blood vessels, I take a capsule morning and night. I found info that suggested that in a suspected heart attack that the cayenne wouldn't hurt and may even save the persons life ... certainly worth trying in an emergency ... the sauce you mention would be equally as hot, but I don't believe it would be nesessary to drink a bottle :xeye: in chinese medicine the tongue is related to the heart.

Cheers

:)

#6 ·
#11 ·
Cayenne pepper can vary on the Scoville Heat Unit scale between 30,000- 90,000 units. If most of the health benefits are derived on the hotter end of that spectrum, then making sure to purchase cayenne pepper in that range will be key.

From the above article,
"First the Cayenne pepper must be at least 90,000 heat units or 90,000(H.U.) to be able to stop a heart attack. If the cayenne is at least 90,000 H.U. and the person is still conscious, the recommendation is to mix 1 teaspoon of cayenne powder in a glass of warm water (this is essentially a "cayenne tea"), and give it to the person to drink."

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/030566_cayenne_pepper_heart_attack.html#ixzz1jAzvkJDE

I know that the level of hot varies from brand to brand. Grocery store products tend to stock cayenne pepper on the milder end, so keep this in mind if deciding to use cayenne pepper for its health benefit. Though starting with the milder form would be beneficial for those seeking to build a tolerance.

I like shaking in some cayenne pepper into my chocolate protein shakes, and sometimes I add it to tea, hot cocoa or warm water. It gives me a little energy buzz. :thumb:

#12 ·
I have half that, but there are just a few that I really grab for anymore. I have to keep blinders on when I enter the hot sauce section of the grocery store- too many great sounding choices.

Sometimes the heat hurts. :eek:
So I am impressed with the degree of hot that some of you gravitate towards, but at the same time, I understand it. It is addicting.

Funny, since it has only been within the past ten years that I have learned to like spicier foods. The top end of my heat level preference is likely still low compared to a lot of you die hard spice lovers, but sometimes I extend my range. Since I have built a tolerance, and a taste for the hot, I now seek to add cayenne, red pepper flakes, habeneros pepper flakes, red tabasco/hot sauce (Franks!), green jalapeno sauce, and/or Sriracha sauce to anything I can. :thumb:

#14 ·
I used to have frequent heartburn. This Mexican fellow at work brought me in a REALLY hot jalapeno, told me to eat it whole and chew it. I did. He told me to do that every couple of months and I have. Cured my heartburn. I now VERY rarely get it.

I TOO am a hot sauce fanatic! I eat it on virtually everything. Yum!

#21 ·
So let's see...I am having a heart attack: chest pain, short of breath, nausea and you want me to drink a glass of hot sauce? I'm sorry, you would end up wearing it. I am not drinking anything a stranger hands me.

#26 ·
Recently printed in local paper.

"Chilli peppers seem to have an anti-inflammatory effect; they reduce the risk of blood clot formation; and they protect the fats in our blood from free radical damage, helping to reduce heart disease.

They have also been found to boost metabolism by up to 25% for up to 3 hours and a modest calorie burning effect."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.