Survivalist Forum banner

Underground cache - best options?

7K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  paramilusmc 
#1 ·
I want to store some stuff at our BOL.
We're in the southeast, where temps get HOT, so an underground cache is a must to keep food from spoiling.

If the only digging you could do was with a rented mini-backhoe for 1 day,
What would you bury to hold your cache?

Those things usually have a max depth of about 7 feet, so the best I'm coming up with is a bunch of 55 gallon drums buried.
I'm not liking that too much so I'd like some suggestions.

#5 ·
I had thought about buring an old chest type freezer before. As long as it has a good seal, and maybe put a hasp on it to make sure it stays shut good. Silicone any vents it has coming to the inside.

But if I were going to dig 7 feet or more, and rent a mini ex, I would just a soon build a root celler or bomb shelter.

Here is one of Southern Prepper's 1 stashes, I think it is a big oil tank:

#10 ·
I have a few of those that I use as rain barrels. I wouldn't bury them, they'll collapse under the weight of the dirt.
Also, you can't store fuel in them. They'll expand and contract and eventually rupture. Don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:

I was able to find steel 55 gallon drums on craigslist.
Might just bury them upright and create some type of riser to allow easy access to the lids.

#11 ·
Good points. If I get to it, I would bury them upright(how they are the strongest) and backfill hole with pea gravel or crushed limestone. This way any water will drain from around them and not freeze and collapse it. And I would probably only leave the top 12-18 inches deep. Not too much weight. And u don't have to dig whole container up to access it.

#15 ·
The best way to cache underground (outside of your basement....) is in a waterproof unitized storm shelter. They have walk-down stairs, are element proof, and the entrances are small enough to be easily concealed below a dog-house, garden, 8" of earth. No digging required / no precious calories wasted to retreive your larder.

Locally a 7' Long x 5' Wide x 5'-3" High shelter is $4600 INSTALLED (taxes included). Its not cheap, but its cheap insurance.

They come in a lot of different sizes.

Here's a cutaway pic....

Here's a link...

http://neastormshelters.com/fiberglass.php

#17 ·
For a cache I tend to bury shallow so when the ground freezes I can still break through to get to it. I then place a plastic sheet over the top of it on an upside down cone configuration, then bury. It is marked, I wont say how after back fill is added and yes it is buried at a secondary fallback location. It is my just in case cache.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.