Survivalist Forum banner

.17 HMR semi auto pistol?

131K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  mrtoren 
#1 ·
OK, So I was looking around to see if a .17 HMR semi auto pistol was out there. And as I've seen there isn't much. I was looking for something that didn't look like a Ruger Mark III or IV or whatever.

But I can't find anything.

Is there such a pistol out there? The other pistols I've seen have been recalled or discontinued. What's the deal? Is the .17 HMR armor piercing?

Anyone have any ideas?

#7 ·
I've got my name on the list for the first Kel-Tec PMR-30 my local gun store gets.

Looks like lots of fun and not a bad thing for a gun fight... However, be aware that the ballistics of a .22 WMR out of a 4 1/2" barrel differs from the same round exiting a 20" rifle barrel.

The same would apply with the .17 cal ballistics.

elgin

#8 ·
17 HMR is a necked down 22lr
17 mach 2 is a necked down 22 mag.

With the short barrel of pistols and the extremely short sight radius, the magnum rounds mean little.

I'd much rather have a ruger Mark pistol than any other rimfire pistol. Want some more velocity, use handgun specific aguilla 22lr ammunition.

#11 ·
There is an article in the NRA magazine this month stating that Remington is recalling all semi-autos in .17 HMR.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-hmr-recall-buyback-ammunition-and-model-597/

Remington have decided to recall and buyback all .17 HMR Model 597. They have also announced they will buyback any Remington .17 HMR that was purchased for use in any semi-auto rifle.
http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/safety-center/safety-warning-recall-notice.aspx
DO NOT USE REMINGTON 17 HMR AMMUNITION IN SEMI-AUTOMATIC FIREARMS.

DO NOT USE THE REMINGTON MODEL 597 17 HMR SEMI-AUTOMATIC RIFLE.

Remington has been notified by its supplier of 17 HMR ammunition that 17 HMR ammunition is not suitable for use in semi-automatic firearms. The use of this ammunition in a semi-automatic firearm could result in property damage or serious personal injury.

#12 ·
The same recall notice was posted in my local gun shop. 17 HMR semi-auto firearms, rifle or handgun, are not safe in their current design. They've been experiencing some serious, potentially dangerous problems and they've been recalled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.