Survivalist Forum banner

DIY arrow heads

7K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  True_Texian 
#1 ·
To go along with my DIY fish hooks. I made a metal arrowhead with a brass key. I know it might not be as strong as hardened steel but if you have nothing else it would work great its more of an Idea type thing.

This was done with just my keychain in my pocket and multitool.

I figure if you had a piece of wood you could split the end and slide the key with the long side down and lash it to the stick with the stick on both flat sides. Lashing could be inner strands of paracord or twine or any other coardage. You might be able to harden it with resin or something as well.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have been wanting to experiment with making arrowheads from pennies and nickels etc. As I feel like that is something we nearly always have with us or can find readily. Nice idea with the keys though as that is also something that everybody has with them most of the time.

#7 ·
the bottom of a beer bottle will make a more effective point

heres the thread on snapping
h
ttp://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=133345

and one of the vids

#8 ·
Thanks all. I was just going with what was in my pockets if I had to get out asap. I dont think I would be carrying flint or a beer bottle at all times. I live in florida and have not seen any flint around as well. My g/f got mad because I was in the taco bell drive through and she asked what I was looking at. I let her know I was looking at the rocks that they had around the building some were quartz. I said to her I wonder if any of those would throw a spark for fire lighting. She now thinks I have gone to far lol.

#9 ·
ya but there plenty of beer bottles on the side of the road dont need to carry them you can prol pick up a hundred in less than an hour

AND the reason you dont see flint in florida is because there is not any but there is a lot of agatized coral

Stone: Coral and quartz
Source: Coral heads, quartz slabs
Color:Coral:Black, blue, orange, white. Quartz: gray and blue/black.
Workability: The coral is Very hard to work unheated. Seems that the quartz is best unheated but the interior is still poor.
Heat Treating: Need high heat. Make sure that it is totally dry

The outer layers of quartz are clean and very knappable. the interior is very grainy. Small coral heads lie everywhere below the I75 bridge when the water is low. The heads range greatly in knappability. some grainy some clean.
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/4770/North-Central-Florida-rock#.T0u7wpgTvBI

read the link

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.