Survivalist Forum banner

Rock River Arms LAR-47

17K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Herd Sniper 
#1 ·
Sorry if this is a re-post, but a search came up empty. Does anyone here have one? Looks like a great combo, any feedback?

#5 ·
I asked some tactical guys I know about the LAR-47. The LAR-47 is a GI/DI (gas impingement or direct impingement) system that shoots the 7.62 X 39 cartridge. Basically it is a larger size M-4 type carbine which uses gases to push the bolt backwards and dump carbon and dirt into the chamber area. The guys overall opinion was it was a decent idea provided you kept the chamber area clean. The problem with keeping the chamber area clean is that the ammo used in making most of the X 39 rounds is pretty dirty stuff.

Over all, the guys like the idea of the LAR-47 carbine and rifle. They liked the idea of being able to use AK magazines with an M-4 type set-up. But they did admit to almost being anally retentive about cleaning their LAR-47s. One a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the highest/best, the guys rated their LAR-47s at an 8. Good size bullet using reliable magazines that don't jam on them. There is some talk or rumors about Rock River possibly making a LAR-47 that is piston operated. Again, this talk or rumors and nothing has been confirmed.

#10 ·
Take the worst features of the AK47 and the AR15, put them together, and whalla!

What the hell is the point of this? I've never understood x39 ARs, I hate to poo-poo things, but I think this deserves poo-pooing. I still have not understood the reasoning for using x39 in a AR, especially when 6.8 and 6.5 are pretty much modernized, vastly superior versions of x39 in the first place. ...oh, and .300 blackout

#11 ·
Take the worst features of the AK47 and the AR15, put them together, and whalla!

What the hell is the point of this? I've never understood x39 ARs, I hate to poo-poo things, but I think this deserves poo-pooing. I still have not understood the reasoning for using x39 in a AR, especially when 6.8 and 6.5 are pretty much modernized, vastly superior versions of x39 in the first place.
You failed to mention the .300 AAC Blackout. That's caliberacism.

#22 ·
These things didn't come out all that long ago and you have a group of guys who not only have them, they have extensive experience with them and you can assemble them in a group.

Fascinating...

I know that these rifles are pretty new. But not THAT new. If you were SF or SEAL, you would have practiced with and tried out the old Knights' Armament version of these rifles. The SR-47 rifle. Where do you think that Rock River got the idea for their LAR-47?

http://www.quarterbore.com/kac/sr47.html

But... Like I said, these guys are tactical people. Former SWAT officers, Special Forces people and so on. Oh.. and by the way... there's other stuff out there headed out our way. If you ever get the chance, google General Wayne Downing and the work he did with new weaponry. A number of us were lucky to have met him and talked to him. Sadly, he died a short while back but he was a fascinating man. He also had been with the 173D Airborne Brigade. I think he did 2 tours in Viet Nam with the unit. He was sort of our unit's "honor graduate" because of all the things he did over the years. One thing was his development of new defensive firearms. Some of the stuff he helped develop has been shown on various t.v. shows. Like the Metal Storm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLNuBq0NQJE

I just found out about another tactical range down near Lincoln, Illinois, near where I live. Oh, and I did not assemble them. Frequently our paths cross and we exchange information on new firearms and such. These guys are up-to-date on most new weapons and new gear like the newest sniper computers used for extreme long range shots. Any other questions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.