Survivalist Forum banner

Urban EDC

13K views 45 replies 29 participants last post by  IrishWill 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I am currently building my EDC. I have it about 90% completed and wanted to know what you guys think of it and if you have any changes/ideas I could make to it.

My EDC is a 4 level system. My first level are the items I could not leave home without. My second level consists of important items, but I could survive without them. My second level consists mainly of tools I carry. My third level is made up of the items that I would carry in my jacket (or if I'm wearing cargo pants/shorts) my cargo pockets. My third level items are items I can live without, but I like having them with me. My fourth level consists of my EDC backpack, laptop bag, or 5.11 Tactical PUSH Pack.

Level 1
-Wallet
-Cellphone
-Keychain (housekey, Streamlight Nano, Swiss+Tech Utili-Key, County Comm Split Pea Lighter)

Level 2
-Homemade Mini Medi(TM)
-Gerber Dime
-Streamlight Stylus Pro or Preon 2AAA
-Gerber ParaframeI Camo

Level 3
-Altoids Tin Survival Kit
-Fisher Space Pen
-Rite in Rain Notepad
-Streamlight Ultra Compact ProTac 2L

Level 4
-EDC Backpack
I have 3 EDC Backpacks. They are tailored for different situations. I carry a 5.11 Tactical COVRT 18 as a full size EDC Backpack. I also carry a Swiss Gear laptop case that is my EDC pack for school settings/ business settings. I also carry a 5.11 Tactical PUSH Pack when I am in situations where I can't carry either my laptop bag or my COVRT 18.

Please give me suggestions on what I could do better or change or add or take out. I think my EDC is pretty solid, but I know that it can be changed.

Thanks,
IW

See less See more
#36 ·
I EDC a Swiss gear backpack everyday. All black, no one ever asks or cares about it. In it I carry the essentials for me of possible needed items in a pinch, rare occurrence or every day issues.

-Galaxy s3 cellphone
-Maxpedition pocket organizer: extra cell battery, mini mag, knife sharpener, glow stick, pen, extra crappy knife, magnesium fire starter, small poncho
-Medicine including antacid, pain reliever, allergy/nasal decongestant, eye drops
- Small FAK
- Headphone ear buds
- Current book
- iPad
- Surefire G2 LED
- Water bottle
- S&W M&P Shield 9mm with extra mag
- Nutrigrain bar
- 50 feet 550 cord
- Stainless pocket watch with compass, thermometer, and magnifying glass.
- Leatherman Blast

So far this carry bag has proven useful in all sorts of ways at various times. Not really anything in there I can say I've never used, if so I got rid of it already. Never been searched with the bag, but opening up the main pocket would look like a book, water, and empty space. Love the bag for what it is and how normal it looks.

#37 ·
My EDC,

On me at all times

Paracord bracelet
Watch
HTC Phone
Springfield XD .45 and 2 spare mags (13rd magazine)
Gerber Multi Tool
SOG Aegis folder
20' of paracord in right cargo pocket
Camo Bandanna in left cargo pocket
Zippo (don't smoke)
Flint and Steel
Streamlight Stylus flashlight
Burt's Bees lip balm (at least one lol)

In my EDC Bag

2 more magazines for the Springfield
100 rds .45 Hornady Critical Defense
Small FAK
black nitrile gloves
Black Mechanics gloves
2 bic lighters
waterproof matches
3l camelback water pouch
4-5 Cliff bars
2 packages of Tuna
1 package of spam
SOG Seal Pup
Kershaw Ken Onion folder
1 AA LED Flashlight
1 Streamlight rechargable flashlight (have 2 more in the Jeep)
Cotton balls with Vaseline
Burt's Bees Lip balm
Glow stick
My Tablet

I almost forgot my Yaesu VX7R that is either in the bag or on me. Extra battery in bag as well as an extra antenna

#38 ·
A lot of interesting items being carried here.

My EDC:
Wallet with cash, cards, essential ID and licenses
3-blade folder
Keychain with...keys
Small caliber carry gun
Belt
I always have shoelaces of some type

In my truck I carry extra ammo, more knives, fire starting aids ( flint striker, lighter), rope/cordage, small toolkit, flashlight, two fly rods complete with assorted flies, and other items that don't come immediately to mind.

In my office/workplace, which is only 14 miles from home, I have a complete Tool and Die facility, tons (literally) of various sizes and types of wire, all kind of cool machine shop stuffs that can be pressed into service, and as I am self employed I have the freedom to keep an assortment of other firearms there as well. I have ran, recently, a half marathon(13.1 miles) in 2:15:35, and with that in mind I am confident that I can make the trek home, through the countryside, in 4 - 5 hours easily, day or night. I have great night vision and as a result I prefer to use no light at night when wandering about, camping or whatever, as it seriously diminishes my actual field of view, so the flashlight is mostly for other people that may be along.

I know I have a lot to learn, but at this time, this is me.

#39 ·
When I think Every Day Carry (EDC) I am working more along the lines of what I carry on my person as opposed to what I have off person. For example in one pocket I have a small Gerber LED light, Gerber DIME tool and Gerber pen knife. This pocket also has my change and bills in it. Other pocket has a small handgun. Kahr PM9, S&W model 638 or in the bigger pocket pants a Glock 26. Always at least one and often two. Two cell phones on the belt. Mine and my Employers as well as a small pouch with a larger Gerber Multitool. Also have in specialty pockets a larger Gerber folding knife and a Streamlight flashlight. Then there is the wallet and credential case holding up my rear! :)

Every thing else is basicly in a work bag if needed or the GHB in the car. When on duty that stuff is not available since I have a bunch of COP gear provided by my office for work.

I usually have a work bag with me with an IPad, notebook and other miscellaneous administrative items but not always. EDC to me is what's in my pockets.

#40 ·
Don't know why everyone always go light. I love this bag. This is the bag I take with me when ever I leave the house. It has a 1 Liter Water Blatter and a Goal Zero Nomad 7 Solar Panel on the front of it in order to keep my phone charged constantly when ever I'm out. No dead battery for me. Also the bag is a Outdoor Products Day Pack.

#43 ·
If you think that I carry alot on my EDC, you should see the kit I carry when I'm running an op. I am looking for an EDC that would work in the city and in Urban environments. Believe it or not, I have taken a couple of sugggestions and added them to my Urban loadout.

#42 ·
It isn't a claim for me you are welcome to come to my work, or catch me out somewhere and see what I carry any time you like. And actually I don't carry a whole lot more other than different food when I do camp.

#46 ·
My biggest thing I need to accomplish with my Urban EDC is the ability to carry items discretely in foreign countries. I have to travel with my team a lot and we are always in and out of military and civilian airports, transport stations, and other large public buildings. I have been trying to slim down my EDC ever since an almost blown op in France. What I am trying to do now to decide between something is ask myself. Will this item be essential to any op? Will it help me get out of a bad situation. Will this not attract much suspicion? Will this be something that I can get parts for in another country? I have learned over the years that it is not wise bring items that only your team members use and have parts too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.